Subject: Faction theme and feats speculation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Colddie
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing the new FFG article (https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/25/clues-c...), I noticed the Leo De Luca card and it got me thinking on the theme of the green faction (Rogues I think?). Now, an extra action is a pretty powerful ability, even if you have to "click through" two of your turns just to get the supplies needed to field him, so I am wondering if we know (or can guess) anything about them.

The same curiosity extends to the other factions but I think that we have a better grasp on what theme they will present and what feats they will offer.

So, I assume:
- Guardians will be the law enforcement faction, focusing on fighting and tanking, with a mild investigatory theme (supported by some Seeker cards). Similar to Agency from CoC
- Survivalists will be the faction of evading and backstabbing, maybe with some other dirty tricks? I am not sure if it is known which other faction Wendy can mix in at this point.
- Mystics are all about magic and using spells to complete tasks
- Seekers are the investigation faction, the newly spoiled cards seem like they are also pretty good in boosting their skills but that may just be an impression given by the card choice they decided to reveal. Think Miskatonic Uni from CoC.
- Rogues are the question mark for me, as I stated above. Maybe they have a theme of crooks having many dirty tricks they have to pay in spades for? I was thinking something like Criminals in Netrunner, I am not sure if that was the case in the Syndicate from CoC.

That is of course pure speculation based on the few spoilers I have seen. However, maybe people who have seen more cards during Gen Con (either during the demos or in the cases) have more info? Also, I am interested with what other people waiting for this game think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syndicate in Call of Cthulhu was generally about control and not fighting fair. Some of their key mechanics were exhausting enemy characters (to prevent them from being able to contest stories) and reducing enemy skill (making them vulnerable to skill-gated effects and less able to compete in the skill struggle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm thinking that Survivors will have a fair number of draw powers, similar to Lore in LotR; likewise, I think Rogues will be the resource generating faction, like LotR's Leadership.

Thematically, the former represents Survivors' ability to generate opportunities even from bad luck. The latter would represent Rogue's hidden, possibly I'll-gotten gains and connections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Also, glad to see Encyclopedia allows you to give bonuses to other investigators. One of the things I think LotR LCG did best was engender a sense of fellowship in encouraging decks support one another. I was a little disappointed to hear during the demo that you could not play your assets on other investigators, though having tools like Encyclopedia and being able to commit cards to others checks go some way to assuaging that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rogue will probably invoke speed and agility. Gaining actions matches that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Tvaru wrote:
- Guardians will be the law enforcement faction, focusing on fighting and tanking, with a mild investigatory theme (supported by some Seeker cards). Similar to Agency from CoC

You're describing Roland Banks and generalizing it to all Guardians. He's a federal agent with the Seeker subclass; the Guardian class most likely gives him his combat/tanking abilities. I'd expect Zoey Samaras to be Mystic/Guardian and Michael McGlen to be Guardian/Rogue, for example. Neither are law enforcement officers, but both are combat-oriented.

Quote:
- Survivalists will be the faction of evading and backstabbing, maybe with some other dirty tricks? I am not sure if it is known which other faction Wendy can mix in at this point.

Wendy's subclass is Rogue. Yeah, "Survivor" is kind of a vague description, but we've confirmed evasion (Stray Cat) as well as some way to gain a benefit even if you fail a test (Look What I Found!). It sounds like it's meant to be a sneaky, indirect class.

Quote:
- Mystics are all about magic and using spells to complete tasks

Which, given that this is the Mythos, would mechanically translate to high risk, high cost, and high reward (which also fits with the only Mystic card I've seen so far: Blinding Light).

Quote:
- Seekers are the investigation faction, the newly spoiled cards seem like they are also pretty good in boosting their skills but that may just be an impression given by the card choice they decided to reveal. Think Miskatonic Uni from CoC.

I've never played the CoC LCG, but I agree with the analysis here. Good at investigation (as the name implies), plenty of versatile skill boosts. They're probably also the faction most associated with Tomes, which seem to give powerful effects at the cost of actions (and a hand slot).

Quote:
- Rogues are the question mark for me, as I stated above. Maybe they have a theme of crooks having many dirty tricks they have to pay in spades for? I was thinking something like Criminals in Netrunner, I am not sure if that was the case in the Syndicate from CoC.

When I think "Rogue," I think "sneaky/lateral approach," which looks to be Survivor's niche already. The next thing I think of is "criminal/dirty fighting," but I have no idea what that'd mean in the context of the Mythos--It's not like the Mi-Go adhere to Marquess of Queensbury rules. I guess resource generation? Because you steal stuff (and need to pay for that ludicrous six-cost ally)? I recall that Wendy played a card in the demo that gave her three resources; does anyone remember which faction that was?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Survivalists are going to be more akin to, "hurt self, help self" stuff. I mean we see it with Wendy discarding a card to re-draw for a skill check.

Also I think you start with five resources, so you could drop Leo turn one if you have him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Colddie
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rsdockery wrote:
You're describing Roland Banks and generalizing it to all Guardians. He's a federal agent with the Seeker subclass; the Guardian class most likely gives him his combat/tanking abilities. I'd expect Zoey Samaras to be Mystic/Guardian and Michael McGlen to be Guardian/Rogue, for example. Neither are law enforcement officers, but both are combat-oriented.

That is true but given that I do not expect us to get other investigators for some time, I think what I assumed could be valid. The same goes for the meta, it is possible that there will be some twists on these archetypes along the way but that will not happen soon within the game life. Finally, I think that there is more linking the Guardians to the law enforcement theme than just the initial ID. Their logo looks like a badge and in CoC, where Agency definitely had the same vibe (and a similar logo), that was the case for most of the cards. Also, if you look through the other Cthulhu products from FFG, there is a fair share of cops and armymen as main protagonists (do not remember the name, there was a rookie cop and a former soldier, probably someone else I am forgetting), so I think they would be able to feed that theme for quite some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.