Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: She-Hulk and Red-Hulk Customs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I'd round off my Hulk-themed customs with these two characters. Here are my ideas so far, feedback welcome as always.

She-Hulk:

going for enjoying being green, headstrong, with a highly developed sense of justice...

Common 1:
I Look Good in Green
Strength
2+ Recruit; Cost 3
You get +1 Recruit for each other Strength card you have played this turn.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/89/3b/96/893b96307...

Common 2:
Furious Charge
Strength
2+ Attack; Cost 4
You may discard two non-Strength cards from your hand. If you do, draw two cards. You get +1 Attack for each Strength card drawn this way.
Image:
http://orig07.deviantart.net/a406/f/2013/269/0/b/she_hulk_by...

Uncommon
Get Even
Instinct
2 Attack; Cost 4
For the rest of this turn, you may use 3 Attack to KO a card from your hand or discard pile.
http://www.geekrest.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/avx_she-h...

Rare:
Mete out Justice
Strength
3 Attack; 2 Recruit; Cost 7
If you have equal amounts of recruit and attack after playing this card, you may double either the recruit or the attack that you have.
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel-war-of-heroes/ima...

Red Hulk:

Going for how he first appears, secretive, manipulative, violent and ruthless, trying to make him play a bit like a cross-between Hulk and Punisher:

Strength Common
Stronger and Smarter
2 Attack; Cost 4
Strength: Look at the top two cards of your deck. Draw one and put the other back.
Image:
http://static7.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/11/113509/4...

Tech Common
I Use Guns
2+ Attack; Cost 5
Reveal the top card of your deck. You get +Attack equal to that card's printed Attack.
Image:
http://static3.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/117763/2772...

Covert Uncommon
Keep Dangerous Secrets
3 Recruit; Cost 5
Choose a Class. Reveal the top card of your deck, if it is that class, draw it, otherwise KO it.
Image (maybe this?)
http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/6100000/Red-Hulk-mar...

Strength Rare
Radioactive Heat
8 Attack; Cost 7
Gain two wounds.
Image (maybe this?)
http://orig02.deviantart.net/67d9/f/2016/161/5/a/earth_646_r...
(or this?)
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel-war-of-heroes/ima...
(or this? -think this is my fave)
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/unsuper/images/7/7e/Red_...

Not play-tested yet. Will link to images when I find ones I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't Red Hulk's uncommon work better with the cost of that card than with classes? Since this way you could also KO wounds and starting cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Wouldn't Red Hulk's uncommon work better with the cost of that card than with classes? Since this way you could also KO wounds and starting cards.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean. Starter cards and wounds have no class, so as it is currently worded they would always be KO'd if revealed, no matter what class you chose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mistake, I misunderstood the effect. I thought that it applied only for cards with class (don't know why).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott K.
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the She Hulk options.thumbsup Thoughtful and interesting mechanics that I would definitely enjoy trying.

About Red Hulk's "Hide Dangerous Secrets" card, it seems as if it is a powerful early game recruiting tool that is too risky after you have purchased other heroes. Since the timing of card availability is random, I see this card as clogging up your deck or the board if it comes in play in any but the first couple rounds. Could you elaborate your intensions for this card? I find the card compelling and interesting, but not sure how it would play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LostnFound wrote:
I like the She Hulk options.thumbsup Thoughtful and interesting mechanics that I would definitely enjoy trying.

About Red Hulk's "Hide Dangerous Secrets" card, it seems as if it is a powerful early game recruiting tool that is too risky after you have purchased other heroes. Since the timing of card availability is random, I see this card as clogging up your deck or the board if it comes in play in any but the first couple rounds. Could you elaborate your intensions for this card? I find the card compelling and interesting, but not sure how it would play.

It's intended to work with his commons. Both of them let you know what the top card of your deck is (albeit only conditionally for the strength common), so you can choose to either draw it (if it has a class) or KO it (eg if it is a wound/starter card and has no class).

I see your point there would be some danger in playing it later if you hadn't played one of his commons first, but Red Hulk in my mind is a dangerous and destructive character, so that works thematically for me, what I'll need to do is try it out and see how it works in game.

Some potential image links added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
more image links added but open to better suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
These are truly excellent ideas! I worried about the dangers of Red Hulk's uncommon, too (especially given my horse dooky short term memory) but your explanation makes sense. I don't know anything about Red Hulk, but I imagine you do.

She Hulk is unlike anything I've seen, and Red Hulk is an interesting mesh of other Heroes. Since you know about him and I don't, I suspect you would know what makes sense for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Red Hulk is based in his original story-arc, where he appears more like a villain than a Hero. He eventually cleans up and joins the Avengers I think, but that's the only one I've read where he's not just showing up as extra muscle. Here's a brief synopsis as best as I remember from a few years ago when I read it:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The story starts with the mystery of who killed Emil Blonsky, aka Abomination. He's been shot. Red Hulk shows up and spends a lot of the story mouthing off about how he's smarter and stronger than the Hulk (hence first common). He beats Hulk up and A-Bomb rescues Hulk. Red Hulk kind of goes on a spree beating up lots of Marvel power-houses, including Thor. He smashes up the Helicarrier, beating up She-Hulk in the process. She calls all her girlfriends and they go back for revenge (hence the She-Hulk uncommon). Red Hulk fends them off or something, he fights Hulk again in San Francisco, almost causing an earthquake. One of the ways Red Hulk emphasises that he's smarter than Hulk (other than by talking coherently) is with his willingness to use guns (hence second common). All the while Red Hulks true identity and motives are a big secret (hence the uncommon). Eventually Hulk realised that as Red Hulk gets angrier he also gets hotter, which weakens him, and he uses that to beat him (hence the rare).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randomised this set-up to try She-Hulk out:

M: Baron Helmut Zemo
S: Brainwash the Military
V: Savage Land Dinosaurs*, Ghost Racers
H: She-Hulk, Captain Britain, Agent X-13

I won on turn 19 with 56 VPs. She-Hulk was interesting to play, if anything the furious charge mechanic was more useful early game, but then after lots of KOing from Dinosaurs, I didn't have many non-Strength cards in my deck to discard. I did get her rare, but only played it once and didn't manage to trigger the ability because I drew it from a Villain's fight effect and already had too much attack to make it balance. Using the recruit common put me only 1 or 2 away from what I needed though and then it would have been awesome! It was fun trying to figure out how to pull it off though. Makes me think she does really need the uncommon, there's usually options to reduce your recruit if needed, but there can be fewer options to reduce your attack, and that provides one (that was why I put that effect in).

Seems promising so far, but I think I need a couple more games to get the feel of it, and check I'm happy with how she works.

*Another custom set:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1591478/dontfeedthegreens-s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gave Red Hulk a test run with this scenario:

M: Zombie Green Goblin
S: United States Split by Civil War
V: CSA Special Marshals, Sentinels
H: Red Hulk, Deadpool, Blade

It was a draw. I started by loading up on blade cards because of the scheme, and that worked well initially, but I had to mix in some of Deadpool's tech cards to get recruit, and the mix of these other cards meant that when I did start buying Red Hulk's card they sometimes fell a bit flat. These two didn't offer great combos with him. Mid to late game I already had a couple of Blade's strength cards and I started buying red Hulk's strength common, that worked fairly well, they can chain quite nicely, and if I'd been able to pick up more Oddball's I would have generated quite a lot of attack, but as it was I kept falling 1 or 2 short of hitting the Mastermind. The uncommon worked ok even without commons to let me know what was on top of my deck, but I did lose a couple of cards to it. I knew most of the cards I wanted to keep were Strength, so I'd choose that, and then maybe lose one of Deadpool's recruit commons, but by then I wanted attack not recruit in my deck. I think it needs a deck more focused on Red Hulk's commons to really shine though.

So overall, he was ok, I enjoyed playing him, want to try him out some more before making any changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gave Red Hulk another play:

M: Shiklah
S: Invade the Daily Bugle HQ
V: Deadlands, Mandroids
H: Red Hulk, Spider-Woman, Elsa Bloodstone

I enjoyed Red Hulk again, he combos nicely with Spider-Woman. My favourite point of the game was playing Radioactive Spider to put Elsa's rare on top of my deck, then I played two copies of Red Hulk's tech common for 16 attack and got my first hit on Shiklah. Won on turn 19 after Shiklah resurrected a couple of times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have played a few more games with Red Hulk now, and decided to up the cost of his common to 4. 3 was just a little bit too cheap for what it gives you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.