16 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: What Else Are You Playing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a place to put my September gaming $$, which is typically an easy problem to solve (thank you, Fantasy Flight). But at the moment I'm sitting on a full cycle and two saga expansions, unopened, and I hesitate to put more shrink wrap on my LotR shelf (Eru help me). I find that the more unexplored quests there are waiting, the faster I'm pulled through the current cycle, and I'd like to spend more time savoring the material. But I look at the shelf and I can feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up - the threat is increasing with so many unexplored locations and undefeated enemies waiting. The eye draws near...

So I'm looking for something else to play! I figure the good people of LotR:BGG must have good taste, so what other games have you been enjoying lately? What games did you try/buy that fell flat?

(Lately I've enjoyed playing Eminent Domain, Ascension X, and Millennium Blades (I just love seeing large quantities of cards blush). Thinking of picking up Robinson Crusoe or Trickerion. My main interest is in the 1-2 player range or party games, but feel free to lay it all on me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent with road to legend app.. also tempted by the recent mansions with app version too which felt a bit more explorery then fighty when i played at a game group....
to me descent rtl feel like lotr lcg 3d :-)

also runebound 3rd ed..tempted by there new expansions again good honeymoon period vibe however bit of a long game rarely finishing it

don't forget warhammer quest card game.. i've not got it out since the initial honey moon period 2 weeks though.

very much in ffg pocket

non FFG games ive had fun with
Race for the galaxy, Onirim, Friday, D&DAS games

recent party/light game i noticed that has an extra solo/coop component was Port Royal, and i'm currently dabbling with tiny epic defenders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
titusm wrote:
My main interest is in the 1-2 player range

Do you ever look at SGOYT?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe is great at 1-2 players, but only plays up to 4. Be warned, though, that the rules are a bit of a mess, but it's -mostly- straightforward.

Also, a new version is coming, with updated rules and components, in the next few months. Just so you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
badge
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
titusm wrote:

Now that's a dangerous location with an unusually high threat value. It makes me spend a lot of resources, and no matter how many progress tokens I've laid down on it, it never seems to be enough to get out of there for good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hugolefou wrote:
cornishlee wrote:
titusm wrote:

Now that's a dangerous location with an unusually high threat value. It makes me spend a lot of resources, and no matter how many progress tokens I've laid down on it, it never seems to be enough to get out of there for good.

This sounds like the place I'm looking for. Any personal recommendations? I could click through your individual pages but what I'm hoping for, lazy animal that I am, are 1-2 sentence 'reviews' of other games your collection would be incomplete without.

Just fishing here, and thanks all in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Milarky wrote:
Descent with road to legend app.. also tempted by the recent mansions with app version too which felt a bit more explorery then fighty when i played at a game group....
to me descent rtl feel like lotr lcg 3d :-)

also runebound 3rd ed..tempted by there new expansions again good honeymoon period vibe however bit of a long game rarely finishing it

don't forget warhammer quest card game.. i've not got it out since the initial honey moon period 2 weeks though.

very much in ffg pocket

non FFG games ive had fun with
Race for the galaxy, Onirim, Friday, D&DAS games

recent party/light game i noticed that has an extra solo/coop component was Port Royal, and i'm currently dabbling with tiny epic defenders

LotR LCG 3D is a pretty good sales pitch! Is Warhammer Quest still supported?

Onirim and Friday were on my radar a while back, maybe I'll take a stab at them. I don't know what D&DAS games are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
titusm wrote:
hugolefou wrote:
cornishlee wrote:
titusm wrote:

This sounds like the place I'm looking for. Any personal recommendations? I could click through your individual pages but what I'm hoping for, lazy animal that I am, are 1-2 sentence 'reviews' of other games your collection would be incomplete without.

Just fishing here, and thanks all in advance.

SGOYT = Solitaire Games On Your Table. Everyone posts the games they're playing solitaire and write a few sentences about them. The current list is here: Solitaire Games On Your Table: August 2016. There's also an aggregator which collects all of the games ever posted to the various lists, a link to which can be found in the current list header.

As for other suggestions, you're getting the main solo favourites already - Onirim, Robinson Crusoe, Friday, Mage Knight. I personally enjoy Asgard's Chosen as well, which combines some neat deck-building and area-control mechanisms. I'm the first to acknowledge thought that the rulebook's a bit obtuse and the game's not for everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
All fantasy solitaire games:

Thunderstone (original)
Defenders of the Realm
Runebound 2nd Ed
Mage Knight BG
Assault on Doomrock.

IMO those are the best ones. I've tried a few others over the years such as Warhammer Quest ACG, World of Warcraft the Boardgame, Arkham Horror, Pathfinder ACG, Elder Sign, Legends of Andor, and Rune Age but they didn't do it for me.

I have to say, I think LoTR is the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
badge
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
titusm wrote:
Any personal recommendations? I could click through your individual pages but what I'm hoping for, lazy animal that I am, are 1-2 sentence 'reviews' of other games your collection would be incomplete without.

Games I enjoy a lot solo:
Arkham Horror - Takes a fair bit of time and table space, but since it marked my entry to modern board games it will always be precious to me.
Navajo Wars - Brilliant AI, also quite thematic if you know a bit about the historical background. Currently out of print, but I'm also eagerly awaiting its "successor" Comanchería: The Rise and Fall of the Comanche Empire.
Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition) - Excellent "state of siege" game where you defend your town against hordes of invading zombies.
Cruel Necessity - Another very good "state of siege" game about the English Civil Wars. In both of them the AI is card driven and you have to deal with the events you draw.
Combat Commander: Europe - Tactical WW2 squad skirmishes on a hex map. A slightly schizophrenic affair since it has no AI and you are basically playing against yourself (it was designed as a 2 player game). For me it works pretty well regardless: You draw a number of cards which tell you what actions you can do on your next turn - just don't look at the cards of the other side until necessary. Obviously, this is also an excellent 2 player game!
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island - Very thematic (and brutal). Plays great from 1 to 4 players.
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game - Even more brutal.
Gears of War: The Board Game - Dungeon Crawler with clever AI, great at creating a lot of tension. Also fun with up to 4 players. However, out of print.
Leaving Earth - Brain-burning race-to-space re-enactment.
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game - Very thematic, quite brutal deck builder, fun with 1-4 players (the more, the harder).
Vast: The Crystal Caverns - Not your average fantasy themed dungeon crawler. Haven't tried the included 1 player variants yet, but they seem very promising.
Space Cadets: Away Missions - Challenging and puzzly, yet at the same time a glorious dice chucker (the Overkill system lets you use excess successes for bonus actions/effects, sometimes resulting in hilarious combos).

2 player favorites:
Earth Reborn - Brilliant tactical miniatures experience. Dedicated gaming partner heavily recommended, though.
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan - My favorite "block" war game. You never know for sure how strong the armies of your opponent are until you confront them. Very tense and rewarding experience.
Combat Commander: Europe - See above.
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? - Also a kind of card driven game. Includes a 1 player variant which I am eager to try soon.

Might have forgotten some, but these I regard as pretty essential to my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:

SGOYT = Solitaire Games On Your Table. Everyone posts the games they're playing solitaire and write a few sentences about them. The current list is here: Solitaire Games On Your Table: August 2016. There's also an aggregator which collects all of the games ever posted to the various lists, a link to which can be found in the current list header.

As for other suggestions, you're getting the main solo favourites already - Onirim, Robinson Crusoe, Friday, Mage Knight. I personally enjoy Asgard's Chosen as well, which combines some neat deck-building and area-control mechanisms. I'm the first to acknowledge thought that the rulebook's a bit obtuse and the game's not for everybody.

Thanks for the link, and congrats on the win! (Not sure I understand, but 246 is a big ol' number.)

The SGOYT thread is making me realize there is a lot more out there for a soloist than I thought, and a lot of my current collection might get to see more time out of the box. Subscribed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonMarsh30 wrote:
All fantasy solitaire games:

Thunderstone (original)
Defenders of the Realm
Runebound 2nd Ed
Mage Knight BG
Assault on Doomrock.

IMO those are the best ones. I've tried a few others over the years such as Warhammer Quest ACG, World of Warcraft the Boardgame, Arkham Horror, Pathfinder ACG, Elder Sign, Legends of Andor, and Rune Age but they didn't do it for me.

I have to say, I think LoTR is the best!

I agree with having tried AH, PACG, Elder Sign and not having it stick. I put MK in this category too. But Assault on Doomrock looks funky - you like the 1P version? And Runebound looks fantastic. Cost-benefit for shelf-space and budget probably rule it out, but one day... after the Mrs. gives up on reforming me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hugolefou wrote:
titusm wrote:
Any personal recommendations? I could click through your individual pages but what I'm hoping for, lazy animal that I am, are 1-2 sentence 'reviews' of other games your collection would be incomplete without.

Games I enjoy a lot solo:
Arkham Horror - Takes a fair bit of time and table space, but since it marked my entry to modern board games it will always be precious to me.
Navajo Wars - Brilliant AI, also quite thematic if you know a bit about the historical background. Currently out of print, but I'm also eagerly awaiting its "successor" Comanchería: The Rise and Fall of the Comanche Empire.
Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition) - Excellent "state of siege" game where you defend your town against hordes of invading zombies.
Cruel Necessity - Another very good "state of siege" game about the English Civil Wars. In both of them the AI is card driven and you have to deal with the events you draw.
Combat Commander: Europe - Tactical WW2 squad skirmishes on a hex map. A slightly schizophrenic affair since it has no AI and you are basically playing against yourself (it was designed as a 2 player game). For me it works pretty well regardless: You draw a number of cards which tell you what actions you can do on your next turn - just don't look at the cards of the other side until necessary. Obviously, this is also an excellent 2 player game!
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island - Very thematic (and brutal). Plays great from 1 to 4 players.
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game - Even more brutal.
Gears of War: The Board Game - Dungeon Crawler with clever AI, great at creating a lot of tension. Also fun with up to 4 players. However, out of print.
Leaving Earth - Brain-burning race-to-space re-enactment.
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game - Very thematic, quite brutal deck builder, fun with 1-4 players (the more, the harder).
Vast: The Crystal Caverns - Not your average fantasy themed dungeon crawler. Haven't tried the included 1 player variants yet, but they seem very promising.
Space Cadets: Away Missions - Challenging and puzzly, yet at the same time a glorious dice chucker (the Overkill system lets you use excess successes for bonus actions/effects, sometimes resulting in hilarious combos).

2 player favorites:
Earth Reborn - Brilliant tactical miniatures experience. Dedicated gaming partner heavily recommended, though.
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan - My favorite "block" war game. You never know for sure how strong the armies of your opponent are until you confront them. Very tense and rewarding experience.
Combat Commander: Europe - See above.
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ? - Also a kind of card driven game. Includes a 1 player variant which I am eager to try soon.

Might have forgotten some, but these I regard as pretty essential to my collection.

Awesome list, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Sad to see Navajo Wars and Gears of War are OOP - I've seen both in Youtube video reviews/lists, and Navajo Wars stuck out for the beautiful artwork on the board. Will add Cruel Necessity and Earth Reborn into the mix of possible purchases.

Edit: And Leaving Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new Mansions of Madness: Second Edition has been a really big hit with my group, especially in the 1 to 2 player range. If you don't mind app assisted games, you should give it a whirl. Out of the box it's highly enjoyable for many sessions, and as long as FFG keeps adding scenarios, this game will have a long life.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
mbmbmbmbmb
Been really enjoying Mansions of Madness: Second Edition, as well. Only played the first scenario a few times, but there's enough variance and different investigator groups give each game a different sense of urgency.

My copy of The Others just arrived, and I've started plotting out a simple co-op engine for it. Will take more work than I initially envisioned, but I think it's very doable.

I played Russian Railroads for the first time a few weeks ago, and loved that. Very fun to see your point engine pay off more and more as time goes on. Solid single player variant as well.

Scythe a few times, and it's while enjoyable enough, I wonder if it really does anything that other games haven't done better. I like the aesthetic of the game, but when it comes to gameplay the whole affair feels a little dry, and not exactly greater than the sum of its parts.

A year or so ago, I forfeited my Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set campaign, but with the new class decks releasing, am developing a slight eagerness to give it a try once more. I probably just burnt myself out going through it the first time.

I'll probably get back into League while the Overwatch competitive season is on hiatus, although with Deus Ex out, who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set and Dominion on my iPad, and LOTR LCG solo on OCTGN. I'm vacationing in Paris so everything must be "portable" (and I have all non-Saga LOTR expansions published so far, so my plays on OCTGN are legit).

Also on OCTGN I want to try the LILITH solo rules for COC LCG. I play it a lot with my group, and we have all the deluxe expansions and three Cores.

Aren't these wonderful times? A tablet, a MacBook Pro, and I can bring with me some kilos worth of games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.