5 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Glory of Failure and some Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Arnott
msg tools
So...

My 2 Investigators failed gloriously last night during my first foray into Arkham - many mistakes occurred I am sure (including my researcher sprouting an extra pair of hands at one point, to wield, in her excitement, more than she should have!!) but hey, it's a weird town!!

Anyway, a few questions cropped up, which my fevered brain couldn't find answers to in the rules at the time, so I thought I'd ask the experts here:

1. If an investigator Closes a Gate,but doesn't have enough Clues to seal it, can they go away, collect the token-shortfall and return to seal it?

2. If the Monster-limit is reached, and there are, say, a couple of monsters in the outskirts, if a monster is killed in Arkham, bringing the Monsters below the limit, do Monsters in the Outskirts come on to the board, or are they always in the outskirts?

3. Do Monsters in the Sky move during Monster movement even if there are no Investigators in the streets?

4. When investigators have the opportunity to trade, can they trade Clue tokens?

ta,

Slippery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slipperythings wrote:
1. If an investigator Closes a Gate,but doesn't have enough Clues to seal it, can they go away, collect the token-shortfall and return to seal it?

No.
If you want to seal, you need to do it immediately after succeeding in the skill check to close the gate.
If you leave the location, you lose the explored marker and will get sucked in again when you go back.

Slipperythings wrote:
2. If the Monster-limit is reached, and there are, say, a couple of monsters in the outskirts, if a monster is killed in Arkham, bringing the Monsters below the limit, do Monsters in the Outskirts come on to the board, or are they always in the outskirts?

Monsters that are in the outskirts stay there until the limit is reached, they don't move into Arkham.

Slipperythings wrote:
3. Do Monsters in the Sky move during Monster movement even if there are no Investigators in the streets?

No.

Slipperythings wrote:
4. When investigators have the opportunity to trade, can they trade Clue tokens?

No. Only items, spells and money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No. Seal immediately upon return or it is just closed.

2. Monsters in the outskirts stay there.

3. Sky monsters only move if their symbol is activated...or a card makes them move. If no one in the street they keep flying.

4. No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NO NO NO NO!!!!

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slipperythings wrote:

So this is a big part of the strategy of the game. If you intend to seal a gate, it's generally best to enter the Other World with at least 5 tokens (or an elder sign if you have it). Because you lose your explored token when you move away from the gate, a token shortfall when you return to Arkham can be a problem. You can decide to close without sealing, or simply let the gate stay open and try again. Closing without sealing comes with the downside that the gate could open again and increase doom.

Slipperythings wrote:

What happens in the Outskirts stays in the Outskirts. cool

Slipperythings wrote:

They stay in The Sky, looking for investigators that forget they are there, and then swoop down only when investigators are in the street. So, the conditions are (1) at least one investigator must be in the street, and (2)the flying monster's movement symbol must come up during Mythos phase. If more than one investigator is in the street, the flyer moves to the investigator with the lowest Sneak.

Slipperythings wrote:

This is probably one of the biggest differences between Arkham and Eldritch. Clues are tradeable in EH, but absolutely not tradeable in AH. If clues were tradeable in Arkham it would radically reduce the difficulty of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.