Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the past few years, on and off, I've been designing a card game.

Relatively recently, I've found a game that exists which is very similar in a lot of ways, and was released a while before I even had the idea. In fact I've actually played it, so it must have stuck in my mind.

I'm not sure if I should continue our not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:

Relatively recently, I've found a game that exists which is very similar in a lot of ways, and was released a while before I even had the idea .

Continue.

There are plenty of games out there that are similar to other ones. It's fine. Yours will probably end up different anyway.

And if you can't make it different, or you find nobody wants to publish or buy it, you will have learnt a load about making games and your next attempt will be even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About a year ago I started to think about a game involving mining asteroids.
Few weeks after I discovered that a game involving the same theme (Periorbis) on Kickstarter so I put my idea in stand by, pledged and started waiting for the game to arrive. I will eventually resume my project if I think I could have fun time trying to create something better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game I ever designed all the way through to testing and development turned out to be practically identical to Wildlife Safari (which I had never heard of; heck in those days I'm not even sure I'd heard of Reiner Knizia!)

But I agree that you should continue, if only because you now have the chance to take the idea in some different directions, which the earlier game cannot do simply by virtue of already existing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Continue. I'm in the same boat, as the game I'm working on has already been done in some form or another, most lately Near and Far on KS which I backed.

My game is thematically different from the other games, and/or the gameplay mechanics are different from the games I've tried and learned about, so I feel comfortable continuing with my design.

As in movies and novels, every story has already been told, yet we continue seeing things done differently!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jaffeli wrote:
Continue. I'm in the same boat, as the game I'm working on has already been done in some form or another, most lately Near and Far

I also backed that. Now I'm curious: in what ways is your game similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for responding, I will keep it going.
When it's a bit more complete I'll post it for feedback and suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Sorry for hijacking, below is off topic so feel free to ignore.

wamsp wrote:
Jaffeli wrote:
Continue. I'm in the same boat, as the game I'm working on has already been done in some form or another, most lately Near and Far

I also backed that. Now I'm curious: in what ways is your game similar?

The narrative structure of my game is roughly similar to Near and Far. I plan to write a campaign booklet with a branching structure. Think Fighting Fantasy books which I loved as a child (dating myself here), or Choose Your Own Adventure. Rather than having the reader make choices in the book, the game group and/or gameplay itself would determine where to go.

So, for example, if Barbie the Brutalizer and her group beats Goblin Anklebiter and his gang, they would flip to page X to see what happens next. If they flee, they go to page Y to see the repercussions of their failure and cowardice. If they flee, they might get a choice to collapse the dungeon behind them, or run deeper into it, thus branching further. Rinse, repeat, with variations.

It turns out something like this has already been done with Above and Below, their previous game. I haven't played it so I'm not sure how closely it resembles my take on the branching campaign. By chance I stumbled upon the KS for Near and Far, which I of course backed. The game sounds and looks amazing, and perhaps I can learn a thing or two from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:
Thanks for responding, I will keep it going.
When it's a bit more complete I'll post it for feedback and suggestions.

It didn't stop DC Comics Deck-Building Game from existing now did it?

Keep on keeping on cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry about it. After playtesting, it's going to be a different game, anyway. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that from experience, lol?
On another note, how do you find play testers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
About a year ago I started to think about a game involving mining asteroids.
Few weeks after I discovered that a game involving the same theme (Periorbis) on Kickstarter so I put my idea in stand by, pledged and started waiting for the game to arrive. I will eventually resume my project if I think I could have fun time trying to create something better.

You know about Darkrock Ventures, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:

Mostly by pleading.

On a more serious note, I see you are in the UK. Depending on where you are and how mobile you are, you may have access to a Playtest UK group. This is an awesome network of game designers, ranging from complete beginners to SdJ nominated veterans, who are extremely friendly and welcoming, and who hold meets all over the place, providing excellent opportunities to get robust but supportive feedback from fellow designers. If you can make it to one of their meetups, I highly recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
polyobsessive wrote:
kirkatronics wrote:

Mostly by pleading.

On a more serious note, I see you are in the UK. Depending on where you are and how mobile you are, you may have access to a Playtest UK group. This is an awesome network of game designers, ranging from complete beginners to SdJ nominated veterans, who are extremely friendly and welcoming, and who hold meets all over the place, providing excellent opportunities to get robust but supportive feedback from fellow designers. If you can make it to one of their meetups, I highly recommend it.

It will likely be down south but I'm sure I can make it at some point. Thank you for the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:

For me this depends on whether the other person's design fulfills the itch I was attempting to scratch with my design. I recently had this happen to me when I heard about Dragon Punch, which while rather different from my design, was achieving the exact feel that I was going for.

Even more recently, I've been told that there's another designer making a game with a couple similarities to my latest project, however in this case I feel the two are sufficiently different that their design does not capture the feel I'm going for with my own, so I plan to continue.

In short: go with your gut meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Your game will develop over the course of your play test, influenced by the games you play and whom you play test your game with, while developing it. What may seem like a very similar idea at first will often turn out to be very different from what you think is similar to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Continue with your game.

Simmilar is not the same thing as "My game was done before me!"

If you look hard enough you'll find elements of your game in many other games out there. Sometimes just a few peices, sometimes alot. Sometimes a theme uncannily simmilar.

Dont fret over it. Remember that you are one designer in a vast vast sea of designs and its virtually impossible to not share something with some other game out there or some future gane that never even knew you existed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the feeling! Steve Jackson stole several of my best game ideas, and what makes it worse is that one of thim he stole from me before I was even born! So rude. I even came up with the name "Car Wars" all on my own, then realized that that was what he called his game...

But I am still happily designing my game, because even though the theme and perhaps inspiration are the same, the specifics and mechanics of our games are worlds apart. I'm pulling in new ideas even if the theme is old, and streamlining and tweaking things to make it the game I want to play.

So, keep on designing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Deal with Death
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
My clue's pointing this way...
mbmbmbmbmb
Echoing what other have said your game will transform (sometimes significantly) over the course of playtesting and tweaking and often times this process will help spinoff into completely new game ideas.

If you're not working on any other game designs definitely stick with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
bugeeker wrote:
I know the feeling! Steve Jackson stole several of my best game ideas, and what makes it worse is that one of thim he stole from me before I was even born! So rude. I even came up with the name "Car Wars" all on my own, then realized that that was what he called his game...

For what it is worth, CAR WARS is a trademark of Texas Instruments Incorporated, and used under exclusive license by Steve Jackson Games. So clearly you had a good idea for a name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:

Relatively recently, I've found a game that exists which is very similar in a lot of ways, and was released a while before I even had the idea. In fact I've actually played it, so it must have stuck in my mind.

I'm going to be contrarian and say to abandon it. Often the gradual recovery of hazy memories masquerades as inspiration. It happens a lot in music, when you suddenly are inspired to write a song, you work on it for an hour in a frenzy and it just flows out, and when you play it for the rest of the band, you find out that you've rewritten a song you forgot existed. In the worst case, nobody recognizes it until you've put it on a record, and you end up in court.

Unless you're one of those people who think that when the theme is similar then the game is similar; in that case, go for it. If it's the mechanics that you recognize; either dump it, come up with a radical retheming, or twist it in a basic way that makes it unrecognizable. Also, start playing the game that you ripped off more, so you can see what works and doesn't work for you about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.