Subject: apps in games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blair Black
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
yeah, its probably the wave of the future. and it makes me sad because theres nothing to be done about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it.

It reduces the need to remember all the rules (Golem Arcana) or fills spots normally occupied by humans (Mansions Of Madness) or simply works as a new mechanic (World of Yo Ho).

It isn't the wave of the future. It is the present of the present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is great to have an app that works the DM and turns a game like Descent into a pure coop. Can't wait for the Imperial assault app.

Also Alchemists is totally amazing and unique, much thanks to the app mechanic (it can be done by a non participating player but that would be very boring for that person).

Yay for apps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blairblack131 wrote:
yeah, its probably the wave of the future. and it makes me sad because theres nothing to be done about it.
I feel your pain. It must be horrible now that you're forced to play these games. If only they still made the other kind of board games that didn't use apps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Boy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best thing about them, even better than the great games they've spawned or improved, is seeing some of the old farts around here frothing at the mouth about them.

Check out THE MILLION OTHER THREADS about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Smith
United States
Unspecified
WI
flag msg tools
mb
there are plenty of pure co op dungeon crawlers that handle it just fine without an app. I understand for descent and ia, it's used as s patch for games built with a dm in mind.

having a new edition of mansions reliant on it just seems lazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
yars wrote:

It's significantly more work for FFG to develop an app than it would have been to just port the Keeper rules from first edition...

I found the app in Mansions 2E to actually be a significant improvement, it drastically reduces setup time and really streamlines the whole experience. It actually completely changed my opinion on Mansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Smith
United States
Unspecified
WI
flag msg tools
mb
Sassycat wrote:
yars wrote:

It's significantly more work for FFG to develop an app than it would have been to just port the Keeper rules from first edition...

I found the app in Mansions 2E to actually be a significant improvement, it drastically reduces setup time and really streamlines the whole experience. It actually completely changed my opinion on Mansions.

I don't know what the keeper rules are, but it's hard for me to agree that these apps require much work from ffg. any developer fresh from college could throw one together fairly quickly. coming up with clever mechanics that only use cards/dice/cardboard to represent a DM and keeping it streamlined... That would be far more impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope they start making apps for Windows Phone. I'd hate to be shut out from a board game because my platform isn't popular enough. Ah well, there are always other games to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kossoff wrote:
The best thing about them, even better than the great games they've spawned or improved, is seeing some of the old farts around here frothing at the mouth about them.

The best thing about the threads, is when individuals claim they have no interest in playing games with apps, is the overly defensive equating it to "frothing at the mouth".

Check out THE TRILLIONS OF EXAGGERATIONS about them.

How DARE YOU dislike something I love...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Damn you, progress! Why won't you let me continue letting Mansions of Madness sit on my shelf because nobody has any interest in playing the mindless role of the House!? DAMN YOU!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
yars wrote:
Sassycat wrote:
yars wrote:

I don't know what the keeper rules are, but it's hard for me to agree that these apps require much work from ffg. any developer fresh from college could throw one together fairly quickly. coming up with clever mechanics that only use cards/dice/cardboard to represent a DM and keeping it streamlined... That would be far more impressive.

Except the impressiveness of the app goes beyond the simple coding of the software . . . there are mechanics behind the app that were designed by a game designer. No need to over-simplify to prove a silly point. If you think that making a tangible AI is somehow harder or more impressive than a digital AI, you're fooling yourself.

A few games a year use apps while thousands of games released a year don't and somehow that turns into some app domination lament. Yesh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Smith
United States
Unspecified
WI
flag msg tools
mb
broken clock wrote:
yars wrote:
Sassycat wrote:
yars wrote:

Except the impressiveness of the app goes beyond the simple coding of the software . . . there are mechanics behind the app that were designed by a game designer. No need to over-simplify to prove a silly point. If you think that making a tangible AI is somehow harder or more impressive than a digital AI, you're fooling yourself.

A few games a year use apps while thousands of games released a year don't and somehow that turns into some app domination lament. Yesh.

of course there are game mechanics in the app. there are mechanics in any video game. but if they were good board game mechanics, they wouldn't need an app for them. and I don't know where your second paragraph came from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Boy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JRietveld wrote:
Kossoff wrote:

The best thing about the threads, is when individuals claim they have no interest in playing games with apps, is the overly defensive equating it to "frothing at the mouth".

If someone simply said "I have no interest in this" then they wouldn't be included in what I said, would they pal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kossoff wrote:
JRietveld wrote:
Kossoff wrote:

If someone simply said "I have no interest in this" then they wouldn't be included in what I said, would they pal?

Absolutely, chum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yars wrote:
Sassycat wrote:
yars wrote:

Whether a cardboard solution is more "work" to create than an app is very much debatable, but it's also irrelevant.
Just because something may be harder to do doesn't automatically make it the best solution for the given problem.

Common feedback on MoM was that people dislike being the GM. An app is clearly the best way to solve that problem. Why should it matter if there was a more difficult and less effective way to solve that problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not convinced that it'll ever be that big in the gamer community. One of the best things about gaming is it's not digital.

(I'm often wrong).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
blairblack131 wrote:

I do not think it's the "wave of the future".

Some games will have apps, some won't. No big deal. Many gamers like the fact they can play MoM or Descent now thanks to the apps.

If you don't like app driven games don't buy them. Solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
I'm not convinced that it'll ever be that big in the gamer community. One of the best things about gaming is it's not digital.

(I'm often wrong).

You're an old fart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JRietveld wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:

(I'm often wrong).

You're an old fart.

LOL ... and not just that, apparently he's one of many ... though we will have to speculate on whether he's frothing at the mouth.

If so, he's an old fart with "app-rabies".

(just joking, monkeyhandz)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
monkeyhandz wrote:

(I'm often wrong).

No, it won't be. That has never been the intention. It will be refined and it will work like a god damn rock star in the games it is appropriate for. Apps are not taking over and the existence of an app for a portion of the game does not make that game digital.

There is just no need for hyperbole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
JRietveld wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:

(I'm often wrong).

You're an old fart.

LOL ... and not just that, apparently he's one of many ... though we will have to speculate on whether he's frothing at the mouth.

Yer bum’s oot the windae! Do yer dinger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
it will work like a god damn rock star in the games it is appropriate for.

broken clock wrote:
There is just no need for hyperbole.

Glad we agree... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Boy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
JRietveld wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:

(I'm often wrong).

You're an old fart.

I'm disappointed with the lack of froth in this thread, I must admit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kossoff wrote:
I'm disappointed with the lack of froth in this thread, I must admit.
To make up for the lacking froth...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.