Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Card #005 - "Search for life" (translated by me from german card name) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The german card is hard to understand for me. I will explain what I understood and maybe some of you guys can help me:

As an action you can pay 1 coin to look at the top card from the draw pile. If this card has a microbe/microorganism (I don't know the english word used here) symbol you add 1 science to this card. I assume you add 1 resource cube to the card and the cube reprensents 1 science symbol. Right?

The VP condition for the end on the german card is: If you have at least one resource being a science symbol on this card you will get 3 VP.

And I also do not understand what the VP condition is good for. Seems to me that 1 resource cube here is enough to score many points (3) and what is the sense in adding more than 1 resource here? Collect additional science symbols for other scoring options?

Please help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if the science resources on the card count as science tags for other things. I assumed no.

You are correct that you can only score the 3 points for the card. After that, further searching for life is useless (unless it counts as science tags, but even then...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Reuter
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The German card does not say "science symbol".
A symbol (tag) is a round icon on the card. You add a resource cube as shown by the squared icon.

TM might get an expansion later. At this point though there is no sense in adding more than 1 science resource to this card.

Please, read the rules first for clarification about symbols and resources. A resource cube represents a resource not a symbol (tag).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't that help you get the Science Award at the end of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Reuter
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar answer,
The Science Award is for science tags, see the round award icon on the mapboard and the text for this award in the rule book.
The card itself has 1 science tag on its top right. True.
The cube added is a science resource and does not help with the award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you find life on mars (get out of here, Ziggy), any subsequent discovery becomes booooring, so you just score VP for the first discovery :p

You should also earn the absolute hatred of all players (you included) because you start a flame debate over the ethic of terraforming Mars and destroying all those wonderful Martian microbes and all trace of a unique ecosystem.

Hey, there could be a whole expansion for this game with "indegenous microbial life" ressources triggering diseases, fighting against imported plants and animals, raising "Red factions" insurgency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Carsten,

thank you for the clarification! I got it now! And thank you for the help prior to m first play. Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clark
United States
Holliston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you do after revealing the card? We couldn't find if it is discarded or goes back to the top of the deck or not. We played it is discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Discard it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.