Subject: KFC's secret recipe: Busted! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course the company denies that it is an accurate recipe, despite it being leaked by a nephew of (Colonel) Harlan Sanders.

NYTimes (online) article

Here it is, if you want to skip the article:

11 spices — mix with 2 cups white flour

2/3 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon thyme
1/2 tablespoon basil
1/3 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon dried mustard
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons garlic salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
3 tablespoons white pepper

1/3 of a Tablespoon is 1 teaspoon, by the way, so for the salt and oregano you can just drop the fraction (ignore the "/3") and change Tbs to tsp.

Personally, I think the real secret, as revealed by that online article, is that it should all be mixed "in a tub on the roof of the garage".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure that KFC gravy-- which was my favorite thing at KFC when I was young-- has filé powder in it.
Not only would that help to thicken it, it adds a unique flavor that I think mimics KFC gravy exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reading a long time ago that the 'real' secret was that the chicken is deep-fried under pressure (sort of combined fryer/ pressure cooker), and that the ingredients were simply salt, pepper and MSG.

Pretty sure I read it on one of those $1,000,000 DOLLAR SECRETS! type-books (make of that what you will).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it should all be mixed "in a tub on the roof of the garage

I'm out, my roof is slanted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a shit ton of salt. Not surprising, but dang.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Soory Mabby, I don't think so.

I cook KFC at home and I'm a regular [url=http://kfc.­forumup.­co.­uk]at a forum that is dedicated to the secret recipe[/url] as well as all great things KFC. Lately, traffic has been down a lot because the consensus is that the site members cracked the recipe a good while ago. In fact, I just checked and I think the forum might have been taken down.

Here is recipe TC34D:

Be advised, when we speak of KFC, we mean KFC, the original version from the 1970s.

Moreover, there's quite a bit more involved than just the herbs and spices. I gleaned the relevant information and created a file for myself. Here's a link to the file and below is a sample page from that file with the spices reformatted from TC34D.

The details are important if your goal is to replicate that KFC goodness exactly. However, following the steps as best you can still results in great southern fried chicken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
I remember reading a long time ago that the 'real' secret was that the chicken is deep-fried under pressure (sort of combined fryer/ pressure cooker), and that the ingredients were simply salt, pepper and MSG.

Actually, I worked there many (and I mean many) years ago, and can confirm that is true. The pressure cooker literally pushes moisture and spices into the chicken, rather than just baking it on the skin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
Well so far in this thread I see three different opinions of what KFC's secret recipe is. So I am coming to the inevitable conclusion that their recipe is safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Well so far in this thread I see three different opinions of what KFC's secret recipe is. So I am coming to the inevitable conclusion that their recipe is safe.

Fair enough. But, the one I posted is the result of a bunch of KFC geeks who worked on it for years, and it is based on a lot of clues and hard deductive reasoning. For example, in the 11 Herbs and Spices sub-forum there are "proofs" for each of the 11 (and other elements) as to why and how it is determined that that spice is present. It's amazing what can be accomplished by a determined lot of obsessives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
It's amazing what can be accomplished by a determined lot of obsessives.
... with access to a mass spectrometer gas chromatograph!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I see this tread is not getting the love it deserves. Clearly, boardgamers are an unsophisticated lot. What's wrong with you people?! Aside from bacon, I'm not sure what else one would want on a desert island aside from 1970s KFC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

I see this tread is not getting the love it deserves. Clearly, boardgamers are an unsophisticated lot. What's wrong with you people?! Aside from bacon, I'm not sure what else one would want on a desert island aside from 1970s KFC.

I only eat Gus' Fried Chicken. World Famous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Why is this even a thing? KFC chicken is disgusting.

As a troll of isaacc, I rate this 5/5 relevant emojis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
isaacc wrote:

Looking at the photos, my first reaction was that the coating is made from a slurry. That's exactly it: The Fried Chicken Blog: Gus's Fried Chicken Recipe. I'm trying this immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Spring is upon us and baseball is back! Lets go Mets!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the key phrase in that recipe, Isaac, is "Be advised, when we speak of KFC, we mean KFC, the original version from the 1970s". That matches my experiences. We discovered KFC during the late 60's and loved it. We used to drive 20 minutes to pick it up. Today, I tend to avoid it (although the grilled chicken isn't bad). I'm not sure if the chicken has gotten that much worse or if my tastes have changed that much. But the current version seems so much heavier and not that tasty. Just as well--it can't be healthy and it's loaded with sodium. If I'm going to be eating something that fattening, I want it to be a hell of a lot tastier than KFC!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
The details are important if your goal is to replicate that KFC goodness exactly. However, following the steps as best you can still results in great southern fried chicken.
I'm amused that you think a recipe which recreates KFC would result in "great southern fried chicken". Having grown up in the south and spent the majority of my life in the states of Alabama, Tennesee and Mississippi, I can tell you that KFC isn't particularly good fried chicken.

MWChapel wrote:
Gus' is pretty good. Definitely much better than KFC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
isaacc wrote:
I'm amused that you think a recipe which recreates KFC would result in "great southern fried chicken". Having grown up in the south and spent the majority of my life in the states of Alabama, Tennesee and Mississippi, I can tell you that KFC isn't particularly good fried chicken.

MWChapel wrote:
Gus' is pretty good. Definitely much better than KFC.

Meaning it's good, I like it, and the cooking is southern fried style fried chicken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
isaacc wrote:

Looking at the photos, my first reaction was that the coating is made from a slurry. That's exactly it: The Fried Chicken Blog: Gus's Fried Chicken Recipe. I'm trying this immediately.

It's the best. Not sure "how" they cook it...It's got a kick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
isaacc wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
isaacc wrote:

It's the best. Not sure "how" they cook it...It's got a kick.

Oh wow, they have franchised!

May they come up to Milwaukee.

It's my favorite fried chicken and have contemplated driving back to Mason, TN for it. Now, I just need to go to downtown Chicago or make a short trip during Geekway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
KFC's real secret is what they're actually seasoning, cuz it sure ain't chicken!
"Keep Fooling the Customers" & enjoy your Kentucky fried swamp rat devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:

It's my favorite fried chicken and have contemplated driving back to Mason, TN for it. Now, I just need to go to downtown Chicago or make a short trip during Geekway.

It's funny. The first time my wife and I had Gus' was in Memphis. I had never heard of it before. Then I posted on FB while we were there about how we just had the best Chicken ever made, and how we may never have it again until we came back to Memphis. Then of course all my local friend were like, "you know we have one in Austin"....It was like the heavens opened it's gates that day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
That is a shit ton of salt. Not surprising, but dang.

Three ways to make cheap tasty food: sugar, salt, fat.

Whenever it's trumpeted that one of these is reduced, it's done by increasing one or both of the other two.

I would expect KFC to be high in all three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KFC: "Can I get an original recipe gut punch, with a side of regret, and a diet Pepsi to go."

I use to love eating there, but every time I do now my pride dies a little. The only thing I can relatively handle is the chicken strips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
bop517 wrote:

It's funny. The first time my wife and I had Gus' was in Memphis. I had never heard of it before. Then I posted on FB while we were there about how we just had the best Chicken ever made, and how we may never have it again until we came back to Memphis. Then of course all my local friend were like, "you know we have one in Austin"....It was like the heavens opened it's gates that day.

Yes! I stop there every time I visit my mom in Memphis. I can't wait for one to open in DFW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe there are people putting so much effort into reverse engineering KFC's recipe. gulp There is better fried chicken out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.