4 Posts

Legendary: Civil War» Forums » Rules

Subject: SHIELD Clearance/Discard a card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mb
Question, when fighting a villain/henchman with SHIELD Clearance, can you use a card that is discarded as part of another action? (I played with Hercules last night so it came up with him in particular, but there are other "discard a card" heroes.)

I can see it either way ... as I recall, the rules just say you must discard a SHIELD card, which I could do from Hercules as part of his action. Also, Hercules's card says something about "to play this, you must discard a card." If you discarded it for the SHIELD Clearance, does that suffice? Or it might mean that it has to be its own action.

I am still conflicted. (I played it last night as a separate card, but wanted clarification for other game with those cards.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The reason why you can reveal the same card multiple times for things that ask you to reveal cards is because you always have that card around to reveal multiple times. Once you discard a card, you don't have it anymore to discard. I think it becomes a little clearer when you look up the more general definition of "discard."

Quote:
verb (used with object)
to cast aside or dispose of; get rid of:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As was pointed out, Discarding a card is different than revealing. In your example, to play the Herc card, you'd need to Discard a card to play it. That action is good for that play only. To attack someone with S.H.I.E.L.D. clearance, you'd need to Discard another card, a S.H.I.E.L.D. card. Even if the card for Herc was a S.H.I.E.L.D. card it wouldn't count.

This would still apply if the play order was reversed. The two Discard requirements are separate actions and one can't feed/assist the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general principle in Legendary you fully resolve effects from each card you play or fight before moving on.

Playing a card and fighting a Villain are separate actions, so in this example, the discard is part of resolving the play of the Hercules card, or part of fighting the SHIELD villain, and it needs to be resolved before you can move on and do the other action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.