Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Pollex
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hi,

I was able to pick up Railways of the World (1st edition), Europe, Great Britain and North America yesterday for $5 each. Since I have the 1st edition version that does not come with Mexico cards that were included in the 2nd edition, what map would be recommended for my wife and I to learn the game?

Thank you,
Troy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither North America nor Europe are great for 2p. Europe is maybe a little better but it's still too big, it could turn into multiplayer solitaire.

Don't know about GB, I haven't played that map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, I believe you can order the Mexico cards from the publisher. As for your question, I would think the European or Great Britain map would be a better fit to learn as a 2p.

Congratulations for finding these for such a great price! This has been my #1 favorite game from the first play years ago.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can make smaller player counts work well on any of the maps by only using part of the map. Use half of Europe or GB for 2P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The official way to help smaller player counts is to reduce the number of cubes placed in each city at set up.

From the base game rules - underlining by me:

Starting the Game
Place the goods cubes in the goods bag. Randomly draw and place a number of goods cubes in each city equal to the number printed on that city. In a 2 or 3 player game, reduce the number of goods cubes placed in each city by one. However, no city may start the game with less than one goods cube.

Here is a chart to help with that, as some maps do NOT need to have cube reduction.

Cube Reduction for Fewer Players:
Some expansion maps do not require cube reduction for fewer players. Railways of Europe was designed to play well with fewer players and many feel Railways of Great Britain also plays better without cube reduction.

Cube Reduction Chart:
MAP....................2-player.......3-player
Eastern U.S. ........Reduce.........Reduce
Western U.S. .......Reduce.........Reduce
Mexico ...........Don’t Reduce....Don’t Reduce
Europe ...........Don’t Reduce....Don’t Reduce
Great Britain .......Reduce........Reduce
North America .....Reduce........Reduce
Through Time ....Don’t Reduce...Don’t Reduce

Enjoy the games!

Forgot to add: Depending on what you need, EGG Does have the Mexico Cards:
http://www.eaglegames.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=102...

And the Mexico Map and Cards:
http://www.eaglegames.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=101...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Pollex
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks, Ralph. I purchased the Mexico cards from Eagle this morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Neither North America nor Europe are great for 2p. Europe is maybe a little better but it's still too big, it could turn into multiplayer solitaire.

Don't know about GB, I haven't played that map.

I don't find Europe to be too big for 2P. Every game I've played of it as 2P has been a brutal Western European dogfight, since Italy and Spain are tough to build track to (expensive, few routes), and the east is more spread out.

There is a variant somewhere to only play the eastern half of the Eastern US map or something along those lines (maybe it was the northern half; I don't recall exactly).

Great Britain map is lightning fast with 2P and cube reduction. An hour, tops, once you know what you're doing.

Mexico is a good short map as well, but very challenging because of the expensive central mountains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While you're waiting for your Mexico cards to arrive, use the Great Britain map for 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also just play the Mexico map without cards, while you're waiting for your cards to arrive. It was originally designed to be played that way; the cards were added later. (Not that the cards aren't cool! They were originally a fan addition that was good enough to be officially adopted.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the cards are still available in the files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another solid 2P option was suggested by Glenn Drover himself here for use on the Eastern US map:

Budley wrote:
The variant that we use for two player games is:

No player may build west of the Appalachians unitil a player has scored 30 points.

This ensures that the game is played historically as well as competitively. If you want a blood bath, play this variant with more than 2 players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rholzgrafe wrote:
You can also just play the Mexico map without cards, while you're waiting for your cards to arrive. It was originally designed to be played that way; the cards were added later.

You can play Mexico without the cards, but it's much harder. It was a big mistake by Eagle to design a "learning game" without the cards - it's simpler rules-wise but without the points/income infusions from starting bonuses, bounties, hotels, etc. it's quite tight financially. If you're just learning the game, it's not a very pleasant introduction. If you do try that, I would at least put out the same three Starting Bonus cards from the base game to add a few early-game points.

Out of the maps you have, the UK or maybe North America is probably best for 2p (I'd definitely do the cube-reduction thing in either case). Europe would be so-so. None of them are ideal though. Eastern and Western US are right out unless you use some variant rule like Drover's suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't understand why one shall reduce the cubes on the Great Britain map. We played it once and it was no fun at all and has ended before it really has begun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.