$5.00
$15.00
$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » Rules

Subject: A, B, C Decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gannon Dubay
United States
Rochester
NY - New York
flag msg tools
I like big boxes
badge
Rochester, NY - Willing to Play!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rule book it says "There is an A B or C at the bottom of the weapon cards..."

From the pictures I am assuming this is a misprint and is supposed to read "...at the bottom of the occupation cards..."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaGannondorf wrote:
In the rule book it says "There is an A B or C at the bottom of the weapon cards..."

From the pictures I am assuming this is a misprint and is supposed to read "...at the bottom of the occupation cards..."

Good catch, you are correct.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume that at the top of page 7, in the Income section where it says "You start the game with an income of 1 silver", it should actually say 0 silver?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philcampeau wrote:
I would assume that at the top of page 7, in the Income section where it says "You start the game with an income of 1 silver", it should actually say 0 silver?

Another good catch! It looks like they fooled themselves with their own image where thy cropped off the bottom row of the board for some reason.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a weird manual.

Who in the world decided that the space where you keep your available Vikings would be called the Thing Space? Who decided that the penalty markers would be called Thing Penalties?

They use these terms multiple times in the manual. Is this a weird mistranslation?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
philcampeau wrote:
Such a weird manual.

Who in the world decided that the space where you keep your available Vikings would be called the Thing Space? Who decided that the penalty markers would be called Thing Penalties?

They use these terms multiple times in the manual. Is this a weird mistranslation?


A "Thing" was a medieval Scandinavian assembly where laws were passed and disputes adjudicated.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azmod2000 wrote:
philcampeau wrote:
Such a weird manual.

Who in the world decided that the space where you keep your available Vikings would be called the Thing Space? Who decided that the penalty markers would be called Thing Penalties?

They use these terms multiple times in the manual. Is this a weird mistranslation?


A "Thing" was a medieval Scandinavian assembly where laws were passed and disputes adjudicated.


...

..

Well hot damn. I was 90% sure you were joking. But look at that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thing_(assembly)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: ninja ninja ninja ninja
azmod2000 wrote:
philcampeau wrote:
Such a weird manual.

Who in the world decided that the space where you keep your available Vikings would be called the Thing Space? Who decided that the penalty markers would be called Thing Penalties?

They use these terms multiple times in the manual. Is this a weird mistranslation?


A "Thing" was a medieval Scandinavian assembly where laws were passed and disputes adjudicated.

I thought you were joking at first, but sure enough...
Wikipedia wrote:
In the pre-Christian clan-culture of Scandinavia the members of a clan were obliged to avenge injuries against their dead and mutilated relatives. A balancing structure was necessary to reduce tribal feuds and avoid social disorder. It is known from North-Germanic cultures that the balancing institution was the thing, although similar assemblies are reported also from other Germanic peoples and others.

The thing was the assembly of the free men and women of a country, province or a hundred (hundare/härad/herred). There were consequently hierarchies of things, so that the local things were represented at the higher-level thing, for a province or land. At the thing, disputes were solved and political decisions were made. The place for the thing was often also the place for public religious rites and for commerce.

The thing met at regular intervals, legislated, elected chieftains and kings, and judged according to the law, which was memorized and recited by the "law speaker" (the judge). The thing's negotiations were presided over by the law speaker and the chieftain or the king. In reality the thing was dominated by the most influential members of the community, the heads of clans and wealthy families, but in theory one-man one-vote was the rule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thing_(assembly)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
EDIT: ninja ninja ninja ninja


No one told me this jiu jitsu purple belt came with ninja skills, but look at me go!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christof
Germany
Hirschberg
flag msg tools
No it's not a mistranslation. But I understand that it sounds strange for an English speaker. "Thing" is actually spoken like "ting" (surprisingly the word existed in northern languages as well as in old German). "Thing" means "Gathering", in these "Thing"-places (Thingstaette in German) the tribe came together for important decisions and for trials (so the Thing-penalty makes sense, too).
So just read it without the "H" and maybe it's not that strange for you anymore.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancalagonthe black wrote:
No it's not a mistranslation. But I understand that it sounds strange for an English speaker. "Thing" is actually spoken like "ting" (surprisingly the word existed in northern languages as well as in old German). "Thing" means "Gathering", in these "Thing"-places (Thingstaette in German) the tribe came together for important decisions and for trials (so the Thing-penalty makes sense, too).
So just read it without the "H" and maybe it's not that strange for you anymore.


According to that Wikipedia article, the origin of the assembly name and the English word which means 'object' are the same, i.e. in Old English, 'thing' meant assembly also and shifted in meaning sometime after 1000.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like this game better already.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaGannondorf wrote:
In the rule book it says "There is an A B or C at the bottom of the weapon cards..."

From the pictures I am assuming this is a misprint and is supposed to read "...at the bottom of the occupation cards..."


Ouch! Yes, that one slipped by us all! As one of the proofers, that one was pretty explicit! Sorry for slip guys.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
EDIT: ninja ninja ninja ninja
azmod2000 wrote:
philcampeau wrote:
Such a weird manual.

Who in the world decided that the space where you keep your available Vikings would be called the Thing Space? Who decided that the penalty markers would be called Thing Penalties?

They use these terms multiple times in the manual. Is this a weird mistranslation?


A "Thing" was a medieval Scandinavian assembly where laws were passed and disputes adjudicated.

I thought you were joking at first, but sure enough...
Wikipedia wrote:
In the pre-Christian clan-culture of Scandinavia the members of a clan were obliged to avenge injuries against their dead and mutilated relatives. A balancing structure was necessary to reduce tribal feuds and avoid social disorder. It is known from North-Germanic cultures that the balancing institution was the thing, although similar assemblies are reported also from other Germanic peoples and others.

The thing was the assembly of the free men and women of a country, province or a hundred (hundare/härad/herred). There were consequently hierarchies of things, so that the local things were represented at the higher-level thing, for a province or land. At the thing, disputes were solved and political decisions were made. The place for the thing was often also the place for public religious rites and for commerce.

The thing met at regular intervals, legislated, elected chieftains and kings, and judged according to the law, which was memorized and recited by the "law speaker" (the judge). The thing's negotiations were presided over by the law speaker and the chieftain or the king. In reality the thing was dominated by the most influential members of the community, the heads of clans and wealthy families, but in theory one-man one-vote was the rule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thing_(assembly)


Yes! I had to double check this one. I had no context to what the Thing is/was (started with the rulebook...should have started with the almanac). But sure enough, it's legit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
philcampeau wrote:
I would assume that at the top of page 7, in the Income section where it says "You start the game with an income of 1 silver", it should actually say 0 silver?

Another good catch! It looks like they fooled themselves with their own image where thy cropped off the bottom row of the board for some reason.


I'm not 100% certain of this one, but this image lines up with my proofing documents. I suspect you're correct and that when it was cropped, there was no note attached to it. Whoops!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EchoOperative wrote:
grant5 wrote:
philcampeau wrote:
I would assume that at the top of page 7, in the Income section where it says "You start the game with an income of 1 silver", it should actually say 0 silver?

Another good catch! It looks like they fooled themselves with their own image where thy cropped off the bottom row of the board for some reason.


I'm not 100% certain of this one, but this image lines up with my proofing documents. I suspect you're correct and that when it was cropped, there was no note attached to it. Whoops!

In the image right below the cropped one (in the "Bonus" section) you can see the bottom row of the board which shows the zero income space.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
EchoOperative wrote:
grant5 wrote:
philcampeau wrote:
I would assume that at the top of page 7, in the Income section where it says "You start the game with an income of 1 silver", it should actually say 0 silver?

Another good catch! It looks like they fooled themselves with their own image where thy cropped off the bottom row of the board for some reason.


I'm not 100% certain of this one, but this image lines up with my proofing documents. I suspect you're correct and that when it was cropped, there was no note attached to it. Whoops!

In the image right below the cropped one (in the "Bonus" section) you can see the bottom row of the board which shows the zero income space.


Oh actually, it looks like when I went through this one, it was still a word doc. I didn't see a typeset copy until much later. Whoops!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DaGannondorf wrote:
In the rule book it says "There is an A B or C at the bottom of the weapon cards..."
From the pictures I am assuming this is a misprint and is supposed to read "...at the bottom of the occupation cards..."


Yes, it should read "...at the bottom of the occupation cards...".

philcampeau wrote:
I would assume that at the top of page 7, in the Income section where it says "You start the game with an income of 1 silver", it should actually say 0 silver?


Yes, it should say "...0 silver...".

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjørnar Løseth
Norway
Bergen
Hordaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
azmod2000 wrote:
A "Thing" was a medieval Scandinavian assembly where laws were passed and disputes adjudicated.


It's even used today in Norway. Our Parliament is kalled "Stortinget" (The Big Thing).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar Arnason
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EchoOperative wrote:
grant5 wrote:
EDIT: ninja ninja ninja ninja
azmod2000 wrote:
philcampeau wrote:
Such a weird manual.

Who in the world decided that the space where you keep your available Vikings would be called the Thing Space? Who decided that the penalty markers would be called Thing Penalties?

They use these terms multiple times in the manual. Is this a weird mistranslation?


A "Thing" was a medieval Scandinavian assembly where laws were passed and disputes adjudicated.

I thought you were joking at first, but sure enough...
Wikipedia wrote:
In the pre-Christian clan-culture of Scandinavia the members of a clan were obliged to avenge injuries against their dead and mutilated relatives. A balancing structure was necessary to reduce tribal feuds and avoid social disorder. It is known from North-Germanic cultures that the balancing institution was the thing, although similar assemblies are reported also from other Germanic peoples and others.

The thing was the assembly of the free men and women of a country, province or a hundred (hundare/härad/herred). There were consequently hierarchies of things, so that the local things were represented at the higher-level thing, for a province or land. At the thing, disputes were solved and political decisions were made. The place for the thing was often also the place for public religious rites and for commerce.

The thing met at regular intervals, legislated, elected chieftains and kings, and judged according to the law, which was memorized and recited by the "law speaker" (the judge). The thing's negotiations were presided over by the law speaker and the chieftain or the king. In reality the thing was dominated by the most influential members of the community, the heads of clans and wealthy families, but in theory one-man one-vote was the rule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thing_(assembly)


Yes! I had to double check this one. I had no context to what the Thing is/was (started with the rulebook...should have started with the almanac). But sure enough, it's legit.


I was quite confused by 'Thing Space', but then realized you meant Þing, not a space for things. Þingtorg or Þingstaður would have been more legible, so Thing Square or just Thing could have worked. Althingi = A meeting of all the county-things.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.