Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dopey68 Gerty Wouters
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday my wife and I played Islebound.

During set-up Town Hall came in play.

We were surprised by this card and could not find a clarification, though in this forum (see link below)questions about this card already has been asked.

We think that the card can be strong but als can be easily blocked. We als think that this card might keep you from doing other actions.
What do think of Town Hall?

Also curious how are game developed, check my blog:

Town Hall of Islebound! Too Strong?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1606946/some-rule-clarifica...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is worded exactly like two other cards which do have clarifications to say that you get the benefit for each, so it seems exceedingly likely that you get a point for each cube you place no matter how many you place at one time (and thus if you place three cubes you get three points). This is how we play it.

I do like the card very much, but there are other very strong cards (for instance we like the card that gives you a one coin discount whenever you buy a building. Whoever has this card usually ends up building loads of buildings during their final turn, as even if the buildings have no end game benefit each one you buy gains you a point.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The town hall might be the strongest building in the game, from my experience so far. I don't have a huge problem with it - there are a lot of other strong buildings that also give a lot of points as well.

The ability of buildings to score a lot of points helps balance what some feel is a very strong strategy of just converting books straight to renown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin Quek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the same experience in our first 3 player game, with just the base game building/cards. (The town hall is by far the most powerful card in the basic deck, the player who built it, ran away with the lead) However, when we added the Metropolis expansion in the second game, there seems to be many building/cards which are just as powerful.
The Town hall is strong but there are quite a few that's just as strong in the Metropolis expansion buildings. Some of these metropolis buildings should have been in the base game to start with... Wont ever play it without the metropolis expansion now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo L.
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
My scythe... I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 4-player game yesterday and the player who got Town Hall came in first, 49 points ahead of the second player. It was the first building she purchased, and she must have gotten at least 40 to 50 points from it throughout the course of the game.

The three of us tried to stop her as best we could, but at some point you have to think of your own goals as well... During the second half of the game, her engine got to full speed, until she could just go for the events, getting as many cubes out there as possible. Which actions/towns the events were tied to was of secondary importance.

It all depends on when the card comes out I guess, but my take is that if you have to work together three to one just to try and block your opponent because of one card, that card is just overpowered, period. Next time we'll be houseruling it so that you get one point regardless of the number of cubes you place on the track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Langford
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a ton of cards this strong in metropolis, which is good and fun and simple. I suggest getting that then it won't be as unbalanced

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.