Will H
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
When declaring war, one tactic might be for a player to choose the white flag on the war die to mean "0 war cost", and have no intention of forming an alliance (of course, if the opponent chooses the white flag as well, that plan backfires).

However, the rules clearly state that "Players cannot form an alliance in a 2 player game."

Is it still permitted to choose the white flag symbol to bid 0 during war, knowing full well that an alliance cannot be formed? If yes, what happens if both players choose the white flag? Does that mean that it is a tie of 0, and then standard tiebreaker rules apply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that's the case. The flag is just a 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, a flag is a zero in 2 player games. If both choose zero, it's a tie and regular rules apply (tie goes to defender).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerad Clark
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this true in UTEK? I don't see in the rules where it says in a 2-player game you cannot form an alliance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerad Clark
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any utek players chime in? I'm still curious on this.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Hobbes
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it still applies. UTEK is still the same game as TEK only smaller.

You can believe what Michael says about TEK and UTEK. His company publishes them both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerad Clark
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do know who michael is - but was still confused

So, I did a bit of research, and found the pdf rules for TEK which has a section called "Playing with 2-Players" that does say "Players cannot form an alliance in a 2 player game."

However, in going back through the UTEK rules on page 30 there is a similar section called "2 Player Variant: The Lost Kingdom"

I had never read that section for UTEK, since I didn't want to learn a "variant" of the game, until I understood the base game.

The first sentence seems to clarify these are indeed the general 2 player rules though by saying "To play with 2 players..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.