$30.00
Golden God
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm 90% confident that I understand the rules well. Read and re-read them many times, watched a bunch of videos and so forth.

However, it seemed to kind of drag in the beginning, getting enough credits to get more dice took us a while. Once we had our tableu/shipping engine going the game went by very quickly.

Are there any tips for us to get the ball rolling in the beginning?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What were you doing early in the game? How many turns did the "slow" period last? Without more details about what you were doing, it is hard to say.

Often, to get your economy going early on you either need to produce and trade at perhaps only a single world, or assign several dice to explore and use them to get money. You may need to do this more than once; spending one turn generating money, the next using those dice to colonize or develop, and then the next building up money again.

Once you have all your dice in your cup, your next turn should be spent making progress; if you aren't moving toward colonizing or developing or producing on multiple worlds or at least getting really good new tiles, you aren't making enough progress.

If you place several dice on a world or development you can't complete, this can tie you down and make it hard for you to accomplish much. Against a player who isn't having this problem, this is probably a disaster for you (and it might even be worth pulling the dice off - remember that if you do they go back in the cup!), but two new players both might get stuck like this, which could slow down the game a lot.

Normally the game moves at a very brisk pace - I'd say being over before you are ready is much more common than feeling like it took too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthonii
Australia
flag msg tools
4.6 Five Mississippi
mb
Use explore to throw back tiles you can't achieve 'reasonably soon'. Most important thing to learn at the start is throwing away tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden God
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply!

We both were using our exploring abilities to search and find better planets/dev. We wanted planets/dev that gave us a dice in the cup or helped us give money when completed.

That was really slogging us down since it took a while to get more credits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
mbmbmb
The most straightforward early game momentum builders are Explore (for money) and Settle (for more dice).

Trading for money has nuanced benefits compared to exploring but requires two phases (settle/produce and ship) so it's much easier just to explore like crazy, especially since white dice are more likely to roll explore. On top of being the easy money gain, Explore also lets you dig for cheap worlds (or some tile synergy).

Similarly, settling is more straightforward than developing since it plays out more or less the same from game to game compared to the wide range of developments. Getting more dice will almost always be useful and is more or less required for building larger developments/worlds or shipping effectively. Cheap worlds let you get dice faster and are less susceptible to stranding dice in your Citizenry.

This leads into the last note which is try to avoid leaving too many dice in your citizenry. This either requires you to stockpile money so that you can pay dice as they are used or having a steady flow of income (from Explore/Trade or several money-based developments).

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
A very, very rough rule of thumb is that in the first couple of rounds, I'll spend half (or more!) of my explore dice for money, and half for tiles. As other sources of money open up, I'll ease back on that, but I may well also be easing back on exploring at all.

Searching for the "perfect" tiles is tempting, but slows the game down, and this is a race, whatever the box lid says...

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden God
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This was great. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
mbmbmb
TheGoldenG0d wrote:
We both were using our exploring abilities to search and find better planets/dev. We wanted planets/dev that gave us a dice in the cup or helped us give money when completed.

That was really slogging us down since it took a while to get more credits.

It can be tempting to dig for great tiles but while you're learning it's often better early on to take money from Exploring in order to get your engine built faster. Assuming you have a reasonably priced planet (2-4) or two I'd prioritize simply building those versus finding perfect engine pieces and then building. Once you have more dice you'll be able to dig more effectively either by looking at more tiles or gaining tiles and money at the same time. As a rule of thumb, when Exploring make sure that you will have enough money to pay for all of your dice (or all but 1) before grabbing tiles. This can require you to think ahead to how many dice will end up in the citizenry over the course of the turn, unfortunately Exploring happens first so you have to mentally work through your turn to figure out how much money you will need.

Put another way, you can always use dice gained from the money on an Explore to search for tiles in a subsequent Explore. Conversely, if you gain tiles at the cost of leaving dice in your citizenry then you probably won't have the economy to build those tiles and you'll get stuck.. This goes along with my earlier comment about really not wanting to leave dice in your citizenry. Having dice stranded in the citizenry is the easiest way for players to get behind and end up being forced into taking several turns just getting money to reclaim their dice.

Once you have a grasp on the economy of the game and fluidly moving dice around the strategy shifts away from Explore/Settle dominated games but it's a great place to focus while learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unlike Race for the Galaxy where you can see a lot of cards and orchestrate good combos, Roll is much more of a "do the best with what you get" IMO. I will only Scout for tiles in the first couple turns if I don't like what I drew at the start (e.g. no cheap planets and the cheap developments don't have abilities I like).

You want to focus on ensuring you're getting enough credits early on through Explore and Ship to get most of your dice back in your cup every turn (but avoid having excess money, so you can get the free $1), and avoid having idle dice sitting on an expensive development/planet. Usually I avoid going for any tile higher than 3 cost early on. Remember if you do have one or more dice on a development/planet but don't feel like you have enough dice in your cup at the end of a round, you can just pick up some or all of those dice and put them back in your cup for free before you roll for the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Anderson
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
When exploring, I typically cash in enough dice for money to buy back all but 0-1 dice at end of turn, and only then draw tiles. This often means I only get to draw once or twice. To make sure I do get to look at a lot of tiles, I like to throw away almost all my tiles every time. If possible, I use dictate to get another explorer.

When you play 2-player, are you remember to roll a white die every round to select a 3rd phase? (well, maybe a third, maybe it overlaps)Because players call explore a lot and it *also* gets rolled 1/3 of the time, it comes up a *lot*. When I can, I try to leave all the "explore" dice I roll as explorers and hope for a cash windfall. I take my selection, dictate, and reassign dice from the other actions. In fact, even if I'm calling a different action, if I rolled enough developers/settlers/shippers to build my tile/ship my goods, I'll often use dictate to create an extra explorer for that 33+% chance of extra $.

It helps that your opponent's explore calls can be very predictable. Every time they run out of tiles to build, or leave multiple dice in the citizenry, odds are high that they're going to explore next turn.

Early on, I like to focus on the 2-point planets that put dice in the cup or the 4-point green and yellow planets that come with pre-made goods.

Finally, you would be amazed at how much faster you can play once you get used to the mechanics and start recognizing the tiles. Even if it continues to be true that you don't do much in the first 3-4 turns, the play experience is much better when they go by in 10 minutes and not 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.