Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

I have been screening the rules questions in these forums to try and work all answers into my updated version of the rulebook. One thing keeps me wondering, though.

In this thread here, Mark stated that during Encounters, the number of successes needed is dependent on the number of still alive PCs. This was not in the rules, so in the new version of the rulebook I added this line to the description of the Encounter card. But I'm wondering what this actually means.

We already know a Revealed PC-Thing (of which there can be only one) does not count as a PC anymore, so that would make the number of PCs drop. Also, if NPCs should be killed when The Thing Attacks! card is played, and there are none left, PCs will die. This is another way the number of still alive PCs could go down.

So say we are playing a 6-player game, with all the rules that go with 5-6 player games. Now we have a Revealed PC-Thing (happened during the Blood Test Event) and also 1 dead PC. Effectively there are now only 3 PCs left. Does this mean that our 6-player game has turned into a 4-player game? Or do we only regard the Encounter as if we were playing a 4-player game? Should we now drop the 5-6-player rules throughout? When more PCs are killed, say 2 more, does the game then turn into a 2-player game?

I'm very curious about this! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Maybe if I hit it with my wrench?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, no, no, and no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
No, no, no, and no.

thanks!

So what do you make of Mark's comment that the number of required successes is dependent on the number of still-alive PCs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiet wrote:
mmesich wrote:
No, no, no, and no.

thanks!

So what do you make of Mark's comment that the number of required successes is dependent on the number of still-alive PCs?

There's a few things in the rules that I feel still need clarifying, that I plan to do next week when I'm back from holiday and in my office with a copy of the game. One of them is 'what happens to the el capitan role when that PC is killed?' Answer: thing chooses new el cap.

I've got to say regarding your above question, that it should be a rare event. This shouldn't happen every game.
During recent playtesting, including the latest expansion, if a player died, it seemed that not scaling the thing back tipped the game up too much, but that could be a result of the new card mix. A lot of the new cards are about decisions, rather than just +dice cards, so it's a tough call now without my notes.

I'll come back and post here next week.
I'm open to discussion on this, obviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
I reallllllly wish there was a good (English) instructional video of how to play. I've tried a few times to run through it and always get hung up somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
E If an infected Outpost player reveals himself to be a PC-Thing (only after the Blood Test encounter), and transforms into an abomination, the Thing player draws one less card when instructed to do so (though, if she's drawing back up to five, she still draws back up to five).

E When an Outpost player is killed, the game does not 'dial back' the number of successes needed to complete encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:

E When an Outpost player is killed, the game does not 'dial back' the number of successes needed to complete encounters.

Thanks Mark!

So the number of successes needed for each encounter is determined at the start of the game then, dependent on the number of players at the beginning?

Does this mean the number of successes needed to complete an encounter does not depend on the number of still-alive PC's? I guess you toyed with that idea then but now decided against it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So the number of successes needed for each encounter is determined at the start of the game then, dependent on the number of players at the beginning?

Yes.

Quote:
Does this mean the number of successes needed to complete an encounter does not depend on the number of still-alive PC's? I guess you toyed with that idea then but now decided against it?

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.