Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IRONCON is a bi-city initiative of my buddy Stan (in Montreal) and myself (in Ottawa) to start a NEW series of board-gaming events focusing on the MOST challenging games (hence the "IRON" in the name). By this we mean either in terms of difficulty, depth, endurance , etc.

This "Fall" IRONCON will take place starting Friday evening and ending Sunday afternoon in center-west MONTREAL. Meal food and drink will be up to players but some refreshments and snacks will be provided.

This IRONCON's theme will be: The Games of Martin Wallace and Vlaada Chvatil (Hardcore Designers of Repute Series - Part I). This is not to exclude other games people may like to play; however priority will be given to those most relating to the theme. The format is come and go as you please but the games will be scheduled in advance so players can prepare.

Some of the games we currently are proposing to hold are: Through The Ages, Dungeon Lords, Galaxy Trucker, Mage Knight, Star Trek: Frontiers, Brass, Automobile, Any of the "Steam" series, etc...

SO....if you are interested and able to come up for a session, a day, or a weekend, please contact me for more information...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

CALL FOR GM SUBMISSIONS!!!

DEADLINE Sept. 4 (but the space/time fabric in this continuum is limited so the earlier the better...!)

The success of IRONCON depends on brave folk to step up and run events so please, please consider running a game. You MAY play - and possibly win - any game you are GMing.

It is (highly) preferred that you choose from "Vunderkind" Wallace's or that "Master of Funky Design" Chvatil's vast repertoire of excellent, tough games. But we'll try to fit you in if you absolutely want to run something else. And if you can wait then fear not - there'll be more IRONCONs in the future...

As a general rule we are planning the following time slots:
FRI - 18h00 to 24h00,
SAT - 09h30 to 12h30, 13h30 to 17h30, 18h00 to 24h00; and,
SUN - 09h30 to 12h30

Each slot can hold 3-4 gaming sessions simultaneously.

Q: What do I need to do to submit?
A: Send me a message with the following details:

- Your name,
- The game you wish to run,
- How many players/session and how many sessions?
- Which time slots do you prefer (give a primary and at least one alternate); and,
- Would you be interested for this to be THE official IRONCON tournament? (A trophy for the victor is in the works...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interest is building for our FALL IRONCON. The prospective schedule will be out next week but already we have several GMs lined up to run the following:

On Theme
- A Few Acres of Snow,
- Automobile,
- Brass,
- Mythotopia,
- Through the Ages,
- Star Trek: Frontiers,

Off-Theme
- Combat Commander,
- Victory in the Pacific

It's looking sweet!! laugh

REMINDER: If you want to run a GM - please SUBMIT a proposal by the end of the weekend so we can put a schedule together asap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
Link? There doesn't seem to be enough details here about the when and where.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperors Grace wrote:
Link? There doesn't seem to be enough details here about the when and where.

Date is in the header. 18h00 start Friday and will finish at 13h30 on Sunday.

Please send me a geek mail for more info...

Cheers,
Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is "center-west MONTREAL" a specific location?

I admit that I've only been to Montreal twice but that doesn't seem to be an address to me.

If you're putting out a call to potential attendees, I'd assume that (at a minimum) we'd get time/date/location and a link to the schedule/program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Makowsky
United States
Rhinebeck
New York
flag msg tools
Iron Con
Part of the "Iron" is figuring out where it is. Hell he gave you the city. The con two years ago all we got was "Eastern Canada"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The locale is a large, private residence (in the NDG district and near Sherbrooke st) and so the address will not be posted on BGG. Details will be provided individually to persons interested in attending.

IRONCON aims to be the best "tough" board-game ONLY convention in Canada and we are in the process of growing this con. This is our 2nd one and we plan to hold it twice a year - once in Spring (usually April) in Ottawa and once in the Fall (Sept-Oct) in Montreal.

Our 1st one attracted 15 players and featured: free admission; pre-registration; a full schedule of events (including such Mega-games as Twilight Imperium III, Rune Wars; Mage Knight; and Star Wars: Rebellion) and a free BBQ on the Saturday.

This time we hope to increase our attendance this time by at least 50% and have one Official tournament (it will likely be Automobile). By the current numbers that have committed to attend it looks like we'll surpass that target.

The schedule is being formalized currently and I'll be posting it soon. We are planning a "pot-luck" welcoming BBQ on the Friday and another provided by Stan on Saturday. The tournament plaque will be awarded on Sunday around noon. Food and alcoholic beverage contributions are gladly accepted.

Hopefully, we will grow in numbers to the point where we can rent a space and increase our sophistication - but of course then, we'll have to charge. Still small, it's a great opportunity to game some great tough games that aren't always easy to organize for free!

I hope this helps describe a bit more what we're about and what we're trying to do. If interested in attending the IRONCON staff welcome you for a great gaming con in a great city - please do send me a BGG-mail and I'll fill you in on more details.

Cheers, Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see. I agree with not posting a private residence.

When I see the word convention, though, I tend to think it's a bit bigger than 15-20 people.

Our local monthly gameathons tend to out number that.

Our yearly convention is small but still has a few hundred attendees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All great cons have a start somewhere...we're hoping to continue expanding...come have a great time and help us grow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "almost-final" IRONCON schedule is up as seen below:

- A FEW ACRES OF SNOW is the Official IRONCON Tournament! A beautifully engraved plaque (WBC-style "wood" )will be the winner's prize. Something to proudly display on your mantle...

- Full events are indicated.
- Any event with (...) indicates that space is available.

We've got a great line-up, so if you are thinking of attending there are still some empty spaces left...

Please contact me for details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here's the great T-shirts we made up for IRONCON (special Fall MTL edition)!...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IRONCON was a blast and all attendees had a great time. I'm posting AARs, commentary, and pix as the GMs provide. If interested to check them out, please go to the following FB IRONCON Page and ask for an invite. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1678398615814461/.

Everyone left anticipating the Spring IRONCON in April, 2017 in Ottawa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One final post of the great trophy plaque for our
official IRONCON tournament (witch was won by Stan!):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.