Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I got FoF back in 2009 and dabbled around with it, but I've only recently started to make a concerted effort. I just failed my first attempt at Mission 2 in Normandy and have the following questions. I have tried looking at quite a few rules posts and the boot camp, but I can't claim to have searched everywhere - it's quite overwhelming! I hope some experienced players will be patient enough to answer these

Questions about reattempting a mission:

1. Are US casualties removed from the map before reattempting a mission, or are they still available for evacuation the second time around?

2. When placing enemy units under 'best cover on the card' what does that mean? Does it mean the best cover marker *already* on the card, or do I place what the card allows but hasn't been placed? In my specific case, an enemy unit is on a village card that has no cover markers. Do I leave it as is, or put a +3 Strong Building marker on the card and place the unit under it? And whatever the answer is for the enemy, I assume the same applies to any US units I place before reattempting.

3. Are VoF markers placed as soon as the game starts for units which have LOS and are in range (i.e. the game might start with the status of 'contact' or 'engaged')?

4. Do any PC markers get placed?

The following are more generic questions:

5. I don't understand how to break down German Platoon Squads when they get hit. How do I choose between the two options at the back of the rule book? Randomly? And how do I decide which step becomes which Fire Team? (And a further sub-question: Why do some enemy units have an '11' or '10' on them?).

6. When a three step unit is HIT and receives, for example, a CF result, is the second Fire Team that is formed as the default for the final step also Pinned like the first Fire Team?

7. When an unspotted enemy Mtr/Arty FO is placed on a US occupied card, I assume he remains unspotted and acts as normal, essentially ignoring the co-located US units until/if he becomes spotted?

8.When reconstituting a PLT during a game is it restored to the experience level it had at the beginning of the game, or is it Green by default? Does it make any difference to experience if I reconstitute from Assault Teams rather than Fire Teams?

9. Does the 'Pinned' status override other LAT experience statuses? E.g. Is a Pinned Litter Team at experience Line?

Many thanks for helping!

Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mb

Please note that I don't have my rulebook around.

jonbryon wrote:
Hi,

I got FoF back in 2009 and dabbled around with it, but I've only recently started to make a concerted effort. I just failed my first attempt at Mission 2 in Normandy and have the following questions. I have tried looking at quite a few rules posts and the boot camp, but I can't claim to have searched everywhere - it's quite overwhelming! I hope some experienced players will be patient enough to answer these

Questions about reattempting a mission:

1. Are US casualties removed from the map before reattempting a mission, or are they still available for evacuation the second time around?

At the end of the mission they are removed before attempting the mission.

Quote:

2. When placing enemy units under 'best cover on the card' what does that mean? Does it mean the best cover marker *already* on the card, or do I place what the card allows but hasn't been placed? In my specific case, an enemy unit is on a village card that has no cover markers. Do I leave it as is, or put a +3 Strong Building marker on the card and place the unit under it? And whatever the answer is for the enemy, I assume the same applies to any US units I place before reattempting.

Best available not best hypothetical.

Quote:
3. Are VoF markers placed as soon as the game starts for units which have LOS and are in range (i.e. the game might start with the status of 'contact' or 'engaged')?

Yes. VoF are automatic, but note the order of placement they don't have to go to the old attacks.

Quote:

I am not sure what you are talking about here.

The following are more generic questions:

Quote:
5. I don't understand how to break down German Platoon Squads when they get hit. How do I choose between the two options at the back of the rule book? Randomly? And how do I decide which step becomes which Fire Team? (And a further sub-question: Why do some enemy units have an '11' or '10' on them?).

1 platoon breaks into 3 fire teams as described, if 1 becomes a casualty, for example, before breaking choose randomly which of the 3 is a casualty.

Quote:
6. When a three step unit is HIT and receives, for example, a CF result, is the second Fire Team that is formed as the default for the final step also Pinned like the first Fire Team?

Yes.

Quote:

7. When an unspotted enemy Mtr/Arty FO is placed on a US occupied card, I assume he remains unspotted and acts as normal, essentially ignoring the co-located US units until/if he becomes spotted?

I don't think i wwii that placement is possible

Quote:
8.When reconstituting a PLT during a game is it restored to the experience level it had at the beginning of the game, or is it Green by default? Does it make any difference to experience if I reconstitute from Assault Teams rather than Fire Teams?

Green. Always green.

Quote:
9. Does the 'Pinned' status override other LAT experience statuses? E.g. Is a Pinned Litter Team at experience Line?

Yes. Follow the chart

Many thanks for helping!

Jon[/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:

Quote:

I meant do any PC markers get placed between the first and second attempts; I assume not.

Quote:

1 platoon breaks into 3 fire teams as described, if 1 becomes a casualty, for example, before breaking choose randomly which of the 3 is a casualty.

And I assume one chooses between the two different platoon structures randomly before breaking the unit?

Quote:

Quote:

The rules state that an enemy unit can appear on a card with friendly forces, so I am not sure what prevents an unspotted Mtr FO being placed on a US occupied card as a result of resolving a PC. I had five Arty/Mtr FOs appear last mission (and would have had more but for the counter limit) and more than one of them ended up being placed on a US occupied card. It felt wrong, but I couldn't see why it would be illegal.

Thanks so much for the answers Antonio. I am really looking forward to getting Vol 2 and the updated rule book. It's a great game.

Cheers

Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonbryon wrote:

I meant do any PC markers get placed between the first and second attempts; I assume not.

You would refresh the PC markers on any cards that you don't control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
jonbryon wrote:

Thanks Peter.

Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mb
jonbryon wrote:
abendoso wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

And I assume one chooses between the two different platoon structures randomly before breaking the unit?

Depends on the mission. The mission will tell you who your enemy (or enemies) is. If you fight the fallschirmjagers you will have a different PLT structure than the wehrmacht.

Quote:

Quote:

The rules state that an enemy unit can appear on a card with friendly forces, so I am not sure what prevents an unspotted Mtr FO being placed on a US occupied card as a result of resolving a PC. I had five Arty/Mtr FOs appear last mission (and would have had more but for the counter limit) and more than one of them ended up being placed on a US occupied card. It felt wrong, but I couldn't see why it would be [/q]

The rules say that it can be placed because they are talking generically for all three campaigns, but when you get to the meat (the placement tables) I am pretty sure there is no possible placement in a card with US units outside Nam.

Let me check it nonetheless

Jon[/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
jonbryon wrote:

Hi everyone
In Normandy campaign the options for the Unit Placement are:
-Front/Left/Right Max LOS
-or Per Package Table Placement

In the Package Table Placement enemy Mtr/Arty FO is at Max LOS, so is rare (but not imposible) that the location is on a US occupied card.
And to answer your question; yes, the enemy remains unspotted

jonbryon wrote:
9. Does the 'Pinned' status override other LAT experience statuses?
Pinned status maintains the actual experience of the unit. The experience level will be the same as if not pinned. So if a VET unit is pinned, his status continues being VET.

jonbryon wrote:
E.g. Is a Pinned Litter Team at experience Line?
Nope, a pinned Litter Team is Green.

peterk1 wrote:
jonbryon wrote:

I don't know what you mean with control (occupied, cleared, secured??), but in the second attemp you never put new PC markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
juno29 wrote:
abendoso wrote:
jonbryon wrote:

Hi everyone
In Normandy campaign the options for the Unit Placement are:
-Front/Left/Right Max LOS
-or Per Package Table Placement

In the Package Table Placement enemy Mtr/Arty FO is at Max LOS, so is rare (but not imposible) that the location is on a US occupied card.
And to answer your question; yes, the enemy remains unspotted

Yes, this is exactly what happened to me several times. I had three counterattacks which placed PC markers on Row 1, and when these resolve to an Artillery or Mortars attack, the FO is very likely to end up on a US occupied card, since LOS is limited and I can't see any prohibition on an enemy FO being placed on a US occupied card. Furthermore, I left a couple of PC C markers on Rows 1 & 2 to resolve on turns 9 and 10. The chance of getting Arty/Mrt Spotters on resolving a PC C for this mission is quite high, resulting again in spotters being placed on US occupied cards.

juno29 wrote:

peterk1 wrote:
jonbryon wrote:

I don't know what you mean with control (occupied, cleared, secured??), but in the second attemp you never put new PC markers.

Eeek! This makes a huge difference, not only for replaying the mission, but for potential experience. Which way should it be?

Thanks!

Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:

Depends on the mission. The mission will tell you who your enemy (or enemies) is. If you fight the fallschirmjagers you will have a different PLT structure than the wehrmacht.

Thanks Antonio, but I'm afraid I still don't get it. I know the enemy are Paratroopers, but Fallschirmjaeger A-L squads break down either into:

2 A-C Fire Teams and 1 A/S-C Fire Team

*or*

1 A-C Fire Team and 1 S-C Fire Team and 1 A/S-C Fire Team

...and I don't know which of these to choose.

Cheers

Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jonbryon wrote:
juno29 wrote:

Eeek! This makes a huge difference, not only for replaying the mission, but for potential experience. Which way should it be?

I'm pretty confident . See here Ben Hull answer: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/9133342#9133342
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jonbryon wrote:
...and I don't know which of these to choose.

I'll try my best:
1- If the enemy are Paratroopers (like Mission 2) use:
[A-L] --> [A-C] [A-C] [A/S-C]
if in a R10, the number is 1 to 7. If not, then use:

[A-L] --> [A-C] [S-C] [A/S-C]
R10 8 to 10

2- For the rest of Missions use:
[A-L] --> [A-C] [S-C] [A/S-C]

2.1- Except Missions 1, 6, and 7 that the Germans Squads can be [S-L]. If this is the case, then the breakdown will be:
[S-L] --> [S-C] [S-C] [S-C]

See page 29 in 2.1 Manual in "Example from the Advanced Tutorial"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Juno for your answers

I think I understand the squad breakdowns...I'll have to think about it!

Cheers

Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're welcome
and sorry for my poor english. Maybe Antonio can explain it better to you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, your English is absolutely fine

Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.