Hide
4 Posts

Star Trek: Frontiers» Forums » General

Subject: My theme fix: It's the MIRROR UNIVERSE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Mulekats
msg tools
So I think most of us TNG fans are a little taken aback by the thought of the Enterprise/Picard blasting away at everything. Yes, there's diplomacy points, but it seems to be a much more difficult resource to come by than attack points.

I think there's one pretty simple thing they could have done to perfectly marry the attack-everything nature of the MK mechanics with Star Trek... Set the game in the MIRROR UNIVERSE where you've got the warlike Starfleet out to subjugate/intimidate the universe! The Klingons are warlike enough anyway, so they still fit within the mirror universe just fine. As for drafting Klingons and Romulans into your crew, I like to look at it as the evil Starfleet "Empire" using forced labor/conscription on the other races.

Anyway, I wonder if anyone during the game development ever brought up this thought because it's a plausible solution for the awkward conflict between the game's mechanics and the Star Trek theme...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First, this concept was already discussed here.

Second, the mirror-universe equivalent of the UFP does not exist in the 24th century in the mirror universe. That would create another thematic paradox, perhaps one that is deeper.

Third, avoiding playing Picard would solve most perceived thematic problems.

Fourth, if you are still troubled, you can imagine that you are playing in JJ Abrams more militarized alternative history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mulekats wrote:
So I think most of us TNG fans are a little taken aback by the thought of Picard blasting away at everything.

First Contact much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Dillman
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
SecondSecondmirror-universe equivalent of the UFP does not exist in the 24th century in the mirror universe. That would create another thematic paradox, perhaps one that is deeper.

I feel like you're missing the crux of the mirror universe... it's just one among an infinite variety. Calling it THE mirror universe is poetic rather than scientifically descriptive.

Infinite mirror universes give plenty of narrative license to have an infinite number of different Picards cruising around in Star Trek: Frontiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.