Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering pulling the trigger on my 1st broken token insert for Mage Knight. Has anyone tried it and is it worth the 30 bucks in your opinion?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked it up a little while back and wrote about the whole experience, actually! You can check out my review, if you like: http://boardgamebuds.com/mage-knight-organizer-review/

Short version: It was a bit of work getting constructed, but shaved quite a bit of time off of setup, teardown, and even during playing if you play right from the trays.

The question of whether it's "worth" it is a bit more personal - I would say it comes down to how often you play MK, and whether that time savings would let you get more games in, or games that you wouldn't be able to play without it.

As a father of a young kid, I would say it's been worth it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have it and its awesome. The fact that it consolidates all the expansions into one box neatly, and reduces set up time by a good margin, AND lets you throw out the garbage stock insert, all make it very worth it in my mind. MK is one of the few games I would say is fully worth the premium of a broken token insert.

others:
-orleans (set up is ridiculous without some kind of improved storage option)
-blood rage (the stock CMON trays just kind of suck)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
c4dillon wrote:
I picked it up a little while back and wrote about the whole experience, actually! You can check out my review, if you like: http://boardgamebuds.com/mage-knight-organizer-review/

Short version: It was a bit of work getting constructed, but shaved quite a bit of time off of setup, teardown, and even during playing if you play right from the trays.

The question of whether it's "worth" it is a bit more personal - I would say it comes down to how often you play MK, and whether that time savings would let you get more games in, or games that you wouldn't be able to play without it.

As a father of a young kid, I would say it's been worth it!

Thanks - that's an excellent review and exactly what I wanted to hear!

One followup question: does the box need to be kept flat then to keep components from going everywhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:

Thanks - that's an excellent review and exactly what I wanted to hear!

One followup question: does the box need to be kept flat then to keep components from going everywhere?

Awesome, glad to hear it helped!

Great question too, I keep all of my games flat because I worry about components shifting around - but I did get some feedback on reddit when this review was posted and one comment did suggest that they stored their box sideways and it worked well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron D
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it and love it. I store it sideways and have no problem with components moving around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have them for 7 wonders and for Lords of Waterdeep. They are great.

Can someone confirm that for sure it will hold all of the MK expansions (including Tezla)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrackAttack wrote:

Can someone confirm that for sure it will hold all of the MK expansions (including Tezla)?

I can confirm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrackAttack wrote:

While I can't directly confirm this myself, a redditor seemed to confirm that all of the expansions fit in the Broken Token Organizer on the review thread (LL, Krang, Tezla):

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/4qmeth/i_review...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
Canada
Metro Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mage Knight Broken Token Insert is fantastic!

If you're thinking of getting the expansions, the box gets pretty packed if you're just using baggies. The insert keeps everything well organised and easy to find. The removable monster token tray is great to store all the tokens. Instead of removing all the tokens, just put the whole tray next to the board and retrieve your tokens as you need them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like there is an additional divider add-on...necessary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrackAttack wrote:
Looks like there is an additional divider add-on...necessary?

I didn't buy any extra dividers, just the base insert and everything including Tezla fit. However, you may want those extra dividers depending how you like to organize your cards. I didn't find that necessary. Every single component fits inside and the box closes without a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
c4dillon wrote:
BrackAttack wrote:

While I can't directly confirm this myself, a redditor seemed to confirm that all of the expansions fit in the Broken Token Organizer on the review thread (LL, Krang, Tezla):

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/4qmeth/i_review...

That was me! Yes, it fits all expansions comfortably, sleeved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! I actually found this insert at a FLGS for 75% off this weekend, so now I'm also a happy owner and will start to get Mage knight to the table more often!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndySzy wrote:
Thanks everyone! I actually found this insert at a FLGS for 75% off this weekend, so now I'm also a happy owner and will start to get Mage knight to the table more often!

That sounds like an awesome deal! Did you get it assembled and try it out yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
c4dillon wrote:
That sounds like an awesome deal! Did you get it assembled and try it out yet?

Yes - and I think I would have found the whole thing worth it just for the enemy token organizer. That's going to make setup and playing so much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.