Subject: 2d Printed Maps? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks! So i am definitely kicking the tires on frostgrave here and figured why not give it a swing.

after watching the below video review by the beloved marco

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/75829/frostgrave/video-revie...

he resorted to using printed maps... which basically triggered a light bulb event for me since i have always had trouble dealing with 3d terrain.

SO.... for those who know more then me

any suggestions on which maps to get off wargamevault? anyone have much experience with this and frostgrave? i have none

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
2D maps can be fun. I have used Descent tiles to make some interesting battlegrounds.

The downside is that one of the coolest things about the Frostgrave ruleset is that (nearly) all surfaces are traversable. Not having 3d terrain takes away from that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the Frost Ruins here:

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/162799/Heroic-Maps--Terr...

I had it printed on a 3x3 custom wargaming mat at inkedgaming (http://www.inkedgaming.com/products/custom-playmat-36x36) - they sometimes have coupons for 20% to 40% off.

They use a thin mousepad material and it works great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really need to read the rules don't I!

Well, now you got me thinking about the terrain... Honestly I just don;t have it in me to build terrain...

Is there like... A kit or say some sets of terrain I can just throw money at to get everything I need to run the scenarios in Frostgrave?

I don't mind painting minis and all that but I've always had a hard time with terrain!

Otherwise still open to 2d maps!!! BUt great point on the part about traversing terrain!!!

Open to all suggestions thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Brent Ward
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For pre-painted terrain, I use a lot of Battlefield in a Box stuff for 25/28mm (not the Flames of War or Team Yankee 15mm stuff).

It's not cheap and it may not cover everything you need either. I also purchased sets of trees (with snow) and some walls and various GW terrain pieces.

Some people also purchase columns at a hobby store (like Hobby Lobby or Michael's) for wedding cakes.

Brent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristabelle Du Bast
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought the Frost Ruins and although it looks lovely I can't see how to print the pdf without getting the name border - doesn't seem to just be a layer. The jpg doesn't want to come across to my work network via One Drive for printing. Anyone got any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Someone on the leadadventure forum's made really cool 3d terrain by gluing printable scenery to black foamcore. There are a lot of good prinatable 3d buildings available online, some of it free. Wizards of the Coast released a bunch of free resources for DnD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soldier wrote:
Someone on the leadadventure forum's made really cool 3d terrain by gluing printable scenery to black foamcore. There are a lot of good prinatable 3d buildings available online, some of it free. Wizards of the Coast released a bunch of free resources for DnD

I'd love to see that!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
4Ground have loads of kits that would work well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yosef Bender

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can easily make your own maps by getting the terrain download tiles files Found on various gaming websites and forums and piecing them together in Microsoft publisher and then having your local printer. Printed on a vinyl sign Material to make a very durable custom-made map. I am now making a series of nested boxes that will be the buildings So that everything fits in one large box and is easy to carry to the game store. the ruler on the Edges of the board are for random monster placement and to note where your Model went invisible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.