Subject: Weapon/Armour Kit Loadout Discussion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TechRaptor Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that I almost exclusively ignore the Lion Armor in favor of Rawhide and Leather. I tried it with paired Katars and found that too much speed, and too many hits in the same attack, is usually a very bad combination.

I've been using paired Acid-Tooth Daggers in my current campaign, and they are nice, but again, I almost exclusively avoid the Lion Armor, especially as hunting the Gorm and the Lion in the same campaign seems a bit counterproductive.

This is what I consider my 'standard' kit for pretty much all of my campaigns, and the only one that I really shoot for each time. If we're hunting Gorm I go with Rib Blade instead of Zanbato.

The Slenderman has some neat stuff to boost support roles, especially the Gloom Mendhi, but other than the obvious Green Armor and other ridiculously difficult to acquire things, we don't ever usually lay out one specific specialty build to shoot for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nudi
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
NerdyRaptor wrote:
I've found that I almost exclusively ignore the Lion Armor in favor of Rawhide and Leather. I tried it with paired Katars and found that too much speed, and too many hits in the same attack, is usually a very bad combination.

I've been using paired Acid-Tooth Daggers in my current campaign, and they are nice, but again, I almost exclusively avoid the Lion Armor, especially as hunting the Gorm and the Lion in the same campaign seems a bit counterproductive.

This is what I consider my 'standard' kit for pretty much all of my campaigns, and the only one that I really shoot for each time. If we're hunting Gorm I go with Rib Blade instead of Zanbato.

The Slenderman has some neat stuff to boost support roles, especially the Gloom Mendhi, but other than the obvious Green Armor and other ridiculously difficult to acquire things, we don't ever usually lay out one specific specialty build to shoot for.

Agreed with that image. That looks like one or two of our tanks every campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
we do something pretty similar though prefer the counterweighted axe.

on screaming, we mostly use it for pushing the strength and getting poor-str up to okay, rather than pushing good to great.

silk, never gotten a set, just supplement other builds with it.

phoenix, yeah... nothing that stands out other than the really obvious (the shield, things that interact with affinities, reach)

can't comment on dragon yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not, no- you don't spend as much, don't need to worry about it breaking, and outside of needing the kill, I think deadly is more valuable with the right crit, than devastating.

(edit 'cause I said the wrong thing...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Probably not, no- you don't spend as much, don't need to worry about it breaking, and outside of needing the kill, I think deadly is more valuable with the right crit, than devastating.

(edit 'cause I said the wrong thing...)

I am going to disagree here. The more I use the Rib Blade, the more I miss the Zanbato. TBF, my data consists of 4 campaigns using Zanbato vs my current campaign, in LY 15, using the Rib Blade.

The Zanbato can break, but it also takes effect even on locations that can't be crit, and it's easily replaceable. Losing Frail and gaining 10% Crit seems like a fair trade at first, but over time it's less effective unless you can specifically increase your Luck. In that case it can be better, but I can throw a Zanbato on anyone and have them turn into a damage machine, especially if I'm okay with having them Frenzied.

I think I'm going to stick with Zanbato from now on, especially when I'm using DBK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On the rib blade, I think it's a way better early weapon. Having not dealt with the DBK, all I know is it can upgrade the zanbato, but I think that isn't really a fair comparison at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
On the rib blade, I think it's a way better early weapon. Having not dealt with the DBK, all I know is it can upgrade the zanbato, but I think that isn't really a fair comparison at that point.

Fair enough. How do you bump your Luck early though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really easy to get up to 7+ crits with a luck charm, then we've found it decently possible in the first few years to get that to 4+ with a little luck (no pun intended), but 7+ is still a reasonably good range for crits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course! I have been totally overlooking the Lucky Charm in our current campaign because it's been so busy (using every expansion at once). I feel a bit silly now. Thanks Nick.

Edit: Clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, yeah, the luck charm's fairly often very early in our builds, largely to help out fist and tooth training, but also because of rib blades or lion katars, but yeah, the gorm set really opens it up, since there's the rib blade and pretty good odds of getting a wisdom potion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
Yeah it helps that the Rib Blade itself has a right facing Blue affinity which clips onto the lucky charm. All you need then is something like the Rawhide set and you're there.

That's with full rawhide, but the only required elements are the charm, rib blade and the rawhide helmet (plus an upward facing blue affinitiy). You can switch things up a lot, using the White Lion cloak instead of the Rawhide Vest, using a different armour set and switching in an item like the Cats Eye Circlet or Whisker Harp to complete the two affinities.

It's amazing how versatile the Rib Blade + Lucky Charm is due to it's relatively small footprint on the gear grid.

That sets you to crit on 8+ (9-10 rib blade, +1 lucky charm). How do you go "easily" to 7+? (I'm really curious, big fan of crits vs. +dmg here)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
umm, not enough coffee in the morning? whistle Yeah, my bad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
it's a relief to know that I had not skipped something that important until now (especially with nasty bastards like the dbk, as of lately),
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam T
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Gentlemen, I present to you, the Green Knight set!

No, not that one.

If you have the Acanthus Doctor secret fighting art on one person, this is the best way I have been able to find to maximize it. 10 armor on all locations, 5 evasion, chance to ignore a wound, and a chance to just not die if you are critically wounded. Carry three acanthus into a fight and you can heal three locations up to full. All while attacking with a 2 speed, 8 strength, sharp sickle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedLion0 wrote:
Gentlemen, I present to you, the Green Knight set!

No, not that one.

If you have the Acanthus Doctor secret fighting art on one person, this is the best way I have been able to find to maximize it. 10 armor on all locations, 5 evasion, chance to ignore a wound, and a chance to just not die if you are critically wounded. Carry three acanthus into a fight and you can heal three locations up to full. All while attacking with a 2 speed, 8 strength, sharp sickle.

Wouldn't the tool belt actually make the sickle a 3 speed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mbmb
Amazing build but I can see The Doctor getting struck by Frozen Lightning and many tears to follow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting stuff. Yeah, I've already modeled the sets of armor with mostly fluffy choices, but I'm kind of at a loss for the Brawler set. The accuracy's pretty strong, but it's actually fairly demanding to get 2 blue affinities for the luck when going off of 5 taken slots... monster tooth is a little easier to get both for, and will be getting you to 2/6+/3 (IIRC), but that's still not amazing. OTOH, fitting an up-red weapon is pretty easy, and you only need the one F+T wound before you can switch to your damage dealing weapon.

Kinda' disappointed that the brawler set doesn't allow both halves of pounce, makes it pretty limited. But, I also usually don't go in with the goal of f+t unless the campaign's just starting out, since there are a few easily accessed deadly weapons (lion katar, rib blade) that benefit from most gear that you can buff F+T with, so it's the one successful wound, and then another weapon.

Dancer, had the pinup, so called that good for the model, and hadn't really looked at it past that. The obvious thing is monster grease + a green (for min 3 evasion), but IDK really what they'd be great at, other than soaking hits. Maybe stick it on someone who doesn't need anything other than their puzzle-independent weapon, give them a utility item or shield(block) to be sure to get that free move, and get them pretty tough/mobile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:

I'm really trying to find a build for the Red Ring btw, I can't figure out an easy way to self inflict bleeding. I might have missed something somewhere. Let me know if you've figured something.

The Bloodskin from the White Speaker promo? It gives you two bleeding tokens, but then you heal one every turn, so you'd only get two turns of benefit (and future bleeding tokens would logically be healed).

I got that promo today, actually, I noticed that the knife has the Fist and Tooth keyword. If my assumptions regarding it (stacks with all fist and tooth bonuses and arts etc) are correct, well, that's going to be very desirable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:

This next one is a little complex, it's probably worth just showing the build for it:

The Vespertine Bow is optional - however it works best because it doesn't mind being Slow. The bandages and Brain Mint can also be replaced as long as whatever goes in there has a green affinity in the same places. But there isn't much available at the moment. Also this can be built with the ring on the mid right (position 4) and the shawl on the mid left (position 7), but at the moment there still doesn't seem to be much that really benefits from the alternative placement. I might have missed something mind you, there are a lot of gear parts to consider.

So this build has 4+ evasion (as long as you keep moving) with 2 armour to all locations. However, when you are the monster controller you can target yourself to gain 3 armour to all locations, which is repeatable each time you are monster controller. That's a lot of sustain for a support character and combined with dash hi-jinks during flow stages it's one of the better light armour combinations I've found. (I believe I've met all the requirements for the Shadow Saliva Shawl here).

I also really like the modelling opportunity this presents. It's a Gorm torso, arms and upper legs combined with the rest being Cyclade parts and it makes a viable mixed part kit. It's not often you can build optimal sets from using parts from different armour kits outside of the Lion Knight ones, so I'm pretty excited about constructing it.

Well, one thing you missed here-

The Regeneration Suit is not "Armor." As an accessory, it can be worn with armor underneath it (like many of the accessories with armor stats, they just add).

If you wear a Regeneration Suit over the top of a full Cycloid armor, then you will be free to match any colors to gain affinities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.