De Vulgari Eloquentia» Forums » General

Subject: Use of the Messenger Chart rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rodrigo Levin
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got this game. Since a friend has it too, he offered to explain it to me and we just had our first playthroug with 5 players.

After the game I had mixed feelings. I should love it because it's the kind of game that I usually like, but a lot of it didn't make sense. So I went to read the rules and dive into this forums noticing that we played a lot of rules wrong.

But one thing that still don't make sense to me is the Messenger Chart. You move along the track spending at least 9 Actions (Because there are 8 spaces and you need to move to Bologna) taking 2 turns (if you don't do anything else and you are next o Bolgna) just to get at most 15 knowledge? Is that worth it? I mean, 15 knowledge might get you far in the knowledge track but by doing the Salterio Action and moving around the board you'll easily get the knowledge and be able to do other actions. If it was like the Orient Track and by reaching the end gives you an ongoing bonus or if it gave you some end game VP I would say it's useful, but as it is I don't see why to waste my actions there.

What am i not seing? what is the use of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Kallo
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
15 knowledge give you (and possibly only you) an option to get the higher value books and the ultimate book the vulgate. But you are right, it's a big gamble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you read my thoughts on the strategy forum ?

More precisely this one :
Knowledge and messenger track

Quote:
Sending a messenger to Bologna is a good non-competitive boost of knowledge (+10/+15). Its timing fits perfectly well with the travel through Italy for university cities's knowledge. More, its shifted gain of knowledge prevent from suffering too much of the turn order.

Hope this help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Levin
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:
Did you read my thoughts on the strategy forum ?

Havent read that one (read the Rules and General Threads) but just did and it's really helpfull.

As I see it The Messenger track is usefull if you aim to reach the 8th level in the Knowledge Track, because level 4 can be reached way more easy through other methods.

So The Messenger would only be usefull to get the final manuscript. So this makes me think of another question. Is 8 victory points worth all the trouble?

I only played once and no one got it but I dont think that it would've mattered that much. (Keep in mind that we played wrong some rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, i don't think that the messenger track main purpose is to reach level 8 of knowledge.

As i said in my quote above :
- it is not a competitive source of knowledge like event tiles are for example. So it is +15 for sure.
- it allow you to delay the gain of knowledge and, as a result, let you play earlier in the turn. This is important to gather cubes and manuscripts.
- it is the perfect track with the start at the south-east and the journey northward italy, earning knowledge from knowledge cities along the way.

The Stupor Mundi is way more interesting in order to reach level 8 of knowledge because in late game, there is not that much source of knowledge.

Don't try to judge this game after only one play.

It shines and reveals itself only with repeated plays.

Underrated and overlooked game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Levin
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, definitely need to play more.

I want so bad to like this game.

Thanks a lot for your time. I'll let you know what I think after a few more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.