Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just curious, would be very interested to hear some thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MeepleUp wrote:
I don't know much/anything about the game, but do you mean:

two people playing one character each

or

two people playing two characters (same as a four player game)

Either I suppose, but I would think one character per person would be the way to play with 2, since it isn't cooperative and the number of players doesn't affect the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
59 4 76(!!) 14 7 52
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
the number of players doesn't affect the difficulty.
Per all the commentary about 2p SeaFall (and there's a lot), this statement is false. The resources on the board are fixed across player count, and so what is"interesting conflict and contention" for 3+ players is, per the designer, likely to be a near-solo economic race game with 2.

Mostly, though, wait for wide release. There will no doubt be people playing it with 2 and reporting back here. It will be hard to miss when it happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The creator (Rob) designed the game for 3-5 players. It was NOT play tested with 2 players.

Studying the rule book, the ocean is huge and 2 players could play 15 games of this and never hardly interact in any meaningful way - you would have to choose to raid the same island OR each other - as vast at the world is, there would be plenty of resources to gather and explores you could do without attacking another player.

3 players - minimum interaction and should be plenty of resources for each player

4 players - trading and exploring about equal with raiding

5 players - most interaction and raiding because there just isn't enough resources in the world to go around for everyone - sooner or later you have to take them from some one else

reading the rule book and comments on plaid hat games forum pages, it seems to me that 4 or 5 players might be the sweet spot, 3 would be ok, and 2 players would be just a "cube pushing" game

wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Note that I haven't played the game yet.)

The designers have stated that they expect SeaFall to work with two players, but note that the relative abundance of resources will mean that there will likely be less interaction between players. By interaction, they are referring to the PvP aspects of the game -- piracy, raiding other players' provinces/ships/colonies (as opposed to the neutral islands), etc.

If you can arrange to play with 3-5, I would recommend doing so, based on past discussions. If you can't for whatever reason, I would recommend against playing multiple factions per player; I just don't think that would work well. There are a couple of (completely untested) two player variant rules available in the variants section of this forum; you can take a look at them and see if either of them look helpful to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Reichler
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'm very interested in hearing from people who have played it 2-player, as that is how i would like to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
Just curious, would be very interested to hear some thoughts.
Why won't this work with two?

In short: no one knows. Feel free to pay $70 for the privilege of playtesting the game at 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
Also, as seen in the other thread:
clydeiii wrote:
If past is prologue, then we'll inevitably see 10-15 threads, all with the subject of "Can you play this at 2p?" as more copies become available online.
Please refer any and all threads to the original one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler LeBlanc
United States
Delaware Water Gap
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I accidentally "playtested" this as a two player game, just finished the campaign and didn't realize it was 3+ until we finished so yeah it worked fine. I just posted a topic about this Here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.