6 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: Board Design & Stickers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
I am curious what others, especially designers have done to address the first island and it's corresponding stickers. Currently the first island overlaps on the fold of the board. As it stands, the board is no foldable without messing up the stickers. The first time we tried to fold the board, the stickers remained fixed to one side, but came off the other side. today I took a razor blade and carefully sliced a neet line down both the island sticker, 2 current sticker, and the full-size island sticker. Now the board is fully foldable again. I was just curious how anyone else handled this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tjstack wrote:
I am curious what others, especially designers have done to address the first island and it's corresponding stickers. Currently the first island overlaps on the fold of the board. As it stands, the board is no foldable without messing up the stickers. The first time we tried to fold the board, the stickers remained fixed to one side, but came off the other side. today I took a razor blade and carefully sliced a neet line down both the island sticker, 2 current sticker, and the full-size island sticker. Now the board is fully foldable again. I was just curious how anyone else handled this.

I had noticed that in some pictures of the board and planned to do basically what you did. Note that because of the way the islands insets overlap, there's probably not much the designers could have done to avoid this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Haag
United States
Hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's really bizarre... Perticularly because the Risk and Pandemic Legacy boards were both specifically designed to avoid that problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Different map style. To my understanding, Risk L uses regions, and each region has an anchor point for stickers which can be placed to avoid folds. Pandemic L uses ... what, point locations? These can also be placed to avoid folds.

SeaFall uses hexes, and there's no way to place a fold on a hex-sheet so that it doesn't clip the hexes somehow. The island insets are more of a design choice, and *could* have been spread out in such a way as to avoid the folds, but there would have needed to be extra space inserted into the inset pattern around the folds, smaller insets with more (but regular) space between them, or insets that don't line up nicely with their respective hex rows. In each case, the decision would have no doubt prompted angst from somebody, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
We also sliced several stickers with a knife to avoid this problem. Odd that it's not mentioned in the rules at all, because EVERYONE will deal with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
crazy dude
United States
New York
flag msg tools
tjstack wrote:

Yup. I used a razor too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.