Popular Tags: [View All]
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

I wanted to start a thread dedicated to user storage solutions for Legendary. Littered throughout these pages are numerous storage threads created by new users to the game. My thought was we could have a thread dedicated solely to one of the hot topic issues with Legendary.

The game is growing and continues to do so. Here we can create a one stop thread for both new and old users. I was hoping we could keep this thread focused on what we use and not what we hope UD is possibly working on.

Share your pictures. What materials did you use? Where did you get it? How long did it take to make? For those that use inserts, share the link of where you got them. And anything else you think will be helpful beyond the aforementioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
I don't have any pictures of the actual box share, maybe I will later. But I do have the design I came up with. That said I have been able to store all Non-Villain Game/Expansion cards in the base box with about a total of 2-3 inches to spare by taking the following steps.
1) I don't sleeve my cards *shudder*
2) I do use laminated custom dividers
3) I store my cards horizontally
4) I canibalized one of the secret wars *shudder again* boxes to make walls in my box such that there are just 3 rows of storage. I chose to canibalize the secret wars box for a couple of reasons. First, I liked the art on the boxes and thought it was cool to have some art on the walls rather than just brown cardboard. Another good reason is that the box material for the games is slightly thinner than standard cardboard but also a little stiffer which were both helpful. I put a notched wall on two sides of the box and then had my divider walls notched to fit into the end walls so that they stay put. The end result means that the width of the rows (3.5 inhces...roughly) is wide enough for the cards but not wide enough for the dividers that come with the game so you either have to cut the original dividers or make custom dividers. So far this has worked great, but the deadpool expansion (plus a few customs I am planning on printing) will certainly exceed my capacity.

Moving forward I have a few ideas. I may just use the Villains box (which currently contains all my villains game and expansion and has plenty of room to grow). But I am also considering either combining the civil wars and dark cities boxes into a single box (as shown here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYvB-8VmXMQ) or I might get spendy and go with the custom hobby lobby box this guy has to offer: https://www.etsy.com/listing/224695264/hobby-lobby-art-box-c.... I really like the hobby lobby box but it does pose some issues for me. I would have to get new dividers and switch to vertical storage, and I am not sure it will really have much more capacity than my current box. So I think the 2 boxes as 1 option is the most likey.

Finally I heard a rumor a while back that upper deck might soon be offering a storage box...confirmed anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
??? ???
msg tools
I use the big expansion boxes I think look the most pretty and carry them in a bag . 2 boxes for heroes, 1 box for baddies and one box for other stuff such as scheme twists, starting cards, and the massive pile of bystanders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I would have posted mine earlier but the special lady friend needed a flat tire fixed for the 3rd time in 4 months. She has this uncanny ability to find curbs with her tires. Just need the back left tire to go and I've hit the flat tire jackpot.

Anyways...

Old ammo box. Vietnam era. Originally for 3 mortar cartridges. 20 bucks. Cleaned up, boiled linseed oil and the exterior was done. Nothing on the inside but a cleaning.

I used hobby wood from Michael's Arts and Crafts to create the rows for cards, All free standing. Used a regular exacto knife to make the cuts. All interior wood I used was balsa, so it's light.

I used heavy duty velcro to store my mat, and measured out just right so when the lid closes it fits into the row at the front of box without damaging the dividers.

Under that is where I store the rules for all of the expansions. Again, hobby wood purchased from Michael's. Glued three rails onto the underside of the lid and then laid down the large flat piece over the rails.

If you can see it, along the back of the box I have a slender row where I have player cards, Master Strikes, Twists, GotG shards and back up sleeves all in musilin bags that fit perfectly..

As you can see I still have more room, probably a small and a big box expansion. What I like about using ammo boxes is that once I've reached my limit I have a pretty cool box for something else.

As for weight, it's really not that bad. Weight spread out, no worries about handles breaking off and sturdy as all hell.

Every expansion is there and sleeved (ultra pro whites). No Villains in box, although I do own it and Fear Itself.

Edit: The one drawback is that I don't know if I like how I laid out the cards. I debated as to whether or not I wanted to go front to back in vertical rows when I initially started, but opted to go left to right. Still may change it, but this is how I have it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack delavert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
21 Litre storage box from Hobbycraft. With the storage tray from the 11 litre box for 2nd tier storage (using 4 of the foam packing as support pillars). Fits everything from the Marvel Legendary + Villains plus room for expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heretek wrote:
21 Litre storage box from Hobbycraft. With the storage tray from the 11 litre box for 2nd tier storage (using 4 of the foam packing as support pillars). Fits everything from the Marvel Legendary + Villains plus room for expansions.

Before my current solution I searched for something similar to what you have. I looked for hobby lobby's near me and there are none. Didn't even know about hobbycraft. Gonna use the Google to see if any are near me. Searched Walmart. Michael's. Target. Nothing. Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to mostly repost an earlier post I had on the subject. I'm now selling some of these elements on my etsy site: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TableTopEnvy
More recent photos:

====================================

I'm gonna brag on my recent crafting obsession (which may turn into a paying hobby soon). It's my personal Legendary storage solution and board replacement system.

The multiple boxes stack on top of each other, with the feet latching into the lid of the one below. You can see here that the box storing the board replacement has been laser engraved with the Base Set and Villains box art wrapping from the lid to the side, then shellacked with amber tinted shellac. The box below contains the other cards.

The lids hinge open from either side. They can be removed by lifting one hinge up through a gap. You can see that all the instruction books fit in on top of my board replacement components. (You can see what those board components look like in some earlier gallery photos.)

When I un-stack the boxes you can see another simpler design I've made for the other box. If I start to sell these, I obviously cannot sell the design on the top box for copyright reasons. I'll probably just offer the Legendary logo, but I can customize many elements of this setup.

You can see that I've added an extra center lane divider so that I can put card dividers side-by-side, rather than needing to alternate them. That also allows me to something else pretty cool...

You can see here the acrylic card dividers I've made. I can etch into the acrylic as I'm cutting it out. I've also added some uplighting to accentuate the engraving. In between the two lane dividers, I've got a string of battery powered LED lights, and I've cut holes to pass that light through into the lanes from below. You can see in the second photo following what this looks like. Didn't turn out quite as cool as I'd hoped, but there's a certain geek chic to it.

What I like about this system is that it's modular I don't have to worry about fitting every card into a storage solution, just to curse when a new expansion is added. I simply make a new box of storage lanes and spill over into that. They all stack securely. Also, I made sure that the length of these boxes is enough that the Villains playmat (or any playmats from Inked Gaming) will fit rolled up into a vacant lane. That means that if you want to get this storage solution you don't have to splurge on the board replacement if you don't prefer it or can't afford it. You can just roll your game mat up and put it on one half of a card lane box. Finally, the modularity and the size of the board replacement components allows for the system to be used with unsleeved or sleeved cards, regardless of whether you use form fitting sleeves, thick sleeves, or ill-fitting penny sleeves. All should work.

Also, I plan to start offering upgraded customizable etched custom dividers that will be compatible with Go7 or Broken Token inserts. That'll come soon. Feel free to PM me if you've got one of those and would be interested in helping me make them work well.

Thanks for looking. Feel free to let me know what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing, sabird, simply amazing. The LED lights make me smile. Checking it out on Etsy shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Trudgen
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Seize the game!
badge
Truly Scrumtrulescent!
mbmbmbmbmb
Behold!

I currently fill up only the top 12 boxes, I have plenty of room to grow. The entire unit has wheels to allow me to move it from the game room to the table.

Each BCW 930 box has a custom label denoting what is in it.

Each hero has a custom divider in the Havok SDNM style. As does each Villain, Mastermind, Henchman, everything.

Custom playmats, shards, tokens. Along with dice, a coin and all rule books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Behold!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W36pKI6qNKo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Trudgen
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Seize the game!
badge
Truly Scrumtrulescent!
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you did there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
You folks have great looking solutions. More power to you! I don't have the money or skills to make or buy something like that, so my solution is geared towards those of us with can't or won't make or buy cool stuff like that.

The two things I bought for this purpose other than cards are sleeves (I use black backed Ultra Pro) and a pack of dividers from Upper Deck.

All I do is keep the Villains, Masterminds and Henchmen in my Villains box, the Heroes in the three big box expansion boxes and Schemes, Wounds and other cards cards in my Basic Set box. I still have the plastic insert in my Basic Set box.

It could frustrate people to have Heroes in three different boxes. I have no randomizer, so I just put the heroes I used in my last game at the end of the bottom box and slide the rest forward. I don't have Dividers for specific heroes, either. Those might make my solution less appealing, but I bet you can't beat the price tag or time spent for it.

Edit: I'm surprised this forum doesn't have a sticky thread (or whatever those permanently at the top threads are actually called) for frequently asked questions. We could use one for people wondering which expansions are most recommended, directions to the custom card database, sleeves and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dowell
Canada
Airdrie
AB
flag msg tools
I currently use a custom box that I built specifically to fit three rows of cards laid horizontally. I made sure I'd have enough room for custom or stock dividers as well. Coincidentally, all the folded rule inserts from expansions fit into the row also. I notched the lower layer of the lid to fit the folded board and rule book. I should have enough room for Deadpool. Currently i have every expansion except FF and Villains (I have Fear Itself though)

The box and lid are made from 1/4 hardboard hdf from Home Depot. Painted silver, sanded, painted silver, sanded, painted black, sanded, painted black, sanded, painted black, sanded smooth. This way, as it wears, silver will show through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dig it...it doesn't look like you cut grooves into the sides for the interior hardboard dividers. Did you use wood glue to attach?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell B
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That box looks great. But why do you have dice in the shards bag?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darreb510 wrote:

Im thinking about using dice instead of shards, too. Just seems a little bit easier, I guess.

And you can probably fit some dice in a playing card box and store it nice and neat with your cards, as opposed to having a baggie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dowell
Canada
Airdrie
AB
flag msg tools
DrRosenRosen wrote:
Dig it...it doesn't look like you cut grooves into the sides for the interior hardboard dividers. Did you use wood glue to attach?

Wood glue holding the whole thing together. Initially i was concerned, it's got 15lbs of cards in it and seems to be totally solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dowell
Canada
Airdrie
AB
flag msg tools
jnowak415 wrote:
Darreb510 wrote:

Im thinking about using dice instead of shards, too. Just seems a little bit easier, I guess.

And you can probably fit some dice in a playing card box and store it nice and neat with your cards, as opposed to having a baggie.

I use the dice to count up Master Strikes and Scheme Twists. Works good for strikes, but there are more twists than sides on a normal dice. The plan is to upgrade to a D20, probably.

Additionally, the supplied shards annoy me, and I've switched to using blue translucent Lego pieces instead:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use some cool looking multi-colored semitransparent tiddlywinks. Huge upgrade. Cheap, too!

BTW, here are links to my various social media stuff if anyone is interested.
https://etsy.com/shop/TableTopEnvy
https://tabletopenvy.tumblr.com
https://twitter.com/tabletopenvy
https://facebook.com/tabletopenvy/
https://instagram.com/tabletopenvy/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sabird wrote:
I use some cool looking multi-colored semitransparent tiddlywinks. Huge upgrade. Cheap, too!

Like the glass! Do you have a laser cutter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I need to decide on a new storage solution soon. I have every set right now except for: Fantastic Four, Captain America and Civil War.

Currently I am storing all of my (sleeved) cards in the base game box (with Broken Token insert) and the Villains box. The boxes are pretty much maxed out now, so I will need to either add a third box in or find a new solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyndam22 wrote:
I need to decide on a new storage solution soon. I have every set right now except for: Fantastic Four, Captain America and Civil War.

Currently I am storing all of my (sleeved) cards in the base game box (with Broken Token insert) and the Villains box. The boxes are pretty much maxed out now, so I will need to either add a third box in or find a new solution.

Hobby Lobby case, dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jnowak415 wrote:
Wyndam22 wrote:

Hobby Lobby case, dude.

Does the Hobby Lobby case fit the base game, Villains and all expansions, sleeved and with plenty of room to spare?

I didn't think it could, but if I am wrong I will definitely consider it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usuba wrote:
sabird wrote:

Like the glass! Do you have a laser cutter?

Indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyndam22 wrote:
jnowak415 wrote:
Wyndam22 wrote:

Hobby Lobby case, dude.

Does the Hobby Lobby case fit the base game, Villains and all expansions, sleeved and with plenty of room to spare?

I didn't think it could, but if I am wrong I will definitely consider it!

With plenty of room to spare? Would you like a blow job to go along with all that, too?

Itll fit everything, sleeved, I believe. Any more and youll need a 2nd case. But imo, its better to have 2 of those cases than lugging around 3 regular game boxes (which could be looking pretty on a shelf). To each their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.