Jack Strap
msg tools

Hi everyone!

Today I’d like to present you WarCards, a wargame I’ve been working on for about 1 year. It is a fantasy wargame that uses cards instead of miniatures. By doing so, I hope to make this game easily accessibe without spending a huge amount of money or time on collecting and painting expensive miniatures.

Players are building armies using a various number of unit cards, going from simple swordmen to powerful heroes. All unit cards have a point value and a rarity. A maximum number of army points is determined (let’s say 1500 points) and each player will build his army deck using it’s own faction.

The game doesn’t use a grid system. Instead, paper printed hasards such as forests, rivers, hills, debris and so on are placed on a battleground as you would do with a normal minature wargame. Movement and combat modificaters are directly printed on those hasards so no external references sheets are necessary. Furthermore, those hasards are placed by players following simple rules or special scenario rules.

Each player are given a certain amount of order counters. Most of them are blank, and some contains simple orders such as CHARGE, MOVE, DEFEND or SHOOT. For each slice of 250 army points remaining on the battlefield, players are allowed to place an actual order counter instead of a blank one. Both players secretly place their order counters face down on each of their units. When all counters are placed, they are revealed and they are resolved simultaneaously by following simple rules.

Different objectives, such as controlling a certain amount of locations or destroying a certain percentage of an opponent army are all examples of victory conditions.

My main inspirations are Warhammer fantasy and Battlegrounds : Fantasy Warfare. However, I tried to streamline the rules as much as possible without losing the tactical aspect of those two games. It uses simplified maths as well as simplified overall rules.

What does a unit card look like?

1.Top down view of the unit. You’ll also note that the front, sides and rear all have small line printed. Those lines represent the unit’s front efficiency, side efficiency and back e efficiency. For the unit above, this means a front efficiency (FE) of 4, a side efficiency (SE) of 3 and a rear efficiency (RE) of 2. Exemple of combat is further.

2.The unit’s faction symbol, point value and rarity.

3.The unit’s name.

4.The unit’s special abilities (from none to many)
a.In the current case, the « sharpshooter » icon means that the any number of attack dice can be rerolled once when doing a ranged attack.

5.The unit’s melee skills
a.The first number represents the unit’s melee capacity (MC). This is how talentful in melee combat the unit is.
b.The second number represents the melee strength (MS). This is how the unit is strong or that its weapons are efficient.

6.The unit’s ranged skills (if applicable)
a.The first number represents the unit’s ranged capacity (RC). This is how talentful the unit is when using ranged attacks.
b.The second number represents the ranged strength (RS). This is how strong are the unit’s ranged weapons.

7.The unit’s defensive skills
a.The first number represents the unit’s defensive capacity (DC). This is the general dexterity of the unit and its ability to dodge attacks.
b.The second number represents the unit’s armor (AR). This is how thick and robust the unit’s defensive equipment is.

8.The unit’s endurance (EN). It represents the maximum number of wounds it can suffer before being destroyed.
a. A unit with no wound is considered « fresh ».
b. A unit with at least one wound is considered « wounded ».
c. A unit one wound from its maximum endurance is considered « dying ».

9. The unit’s morale (MO). It represents the unit’s leadership, will to fight and determination.

10. The unit’s maneuverability (MA). It represents the unit’s movement capacity in term of distance and flexibility.
a. WarCards uses a special measurement unit called a « STEP ». A step is 2.5 inches long (the length of the short side of a unit card). This means the elven archers above could potentially move a distance of 7.5 inches. However, STEPS are also used for other purposes. By exemple, rotating costs 1 STEP and entering and exiting a simple hasard costs 1 STEP as well. Both those scenarios will reduce a unit’s maneuverability.

How do I build an army?

I’ve tried to streamline the army building process to a minimum of rules. Before going any further, let’s talk about the different factions of the game. My idea is not yet fixed concerning the factions and I’ve came up with 2 different concepts.

The first one is strongly based on existing fantasy games. Every « races » has an army, such as with Warhammer fantasy or…pretty much every miniature wargames.

Here are the ideas I came up with. In order, we’ve got the dwarves, the wood elves, the high elves, the undeads, the demons, the lizarmen, the humans, the orcs, the minotaurs, the psionics and the artifacts/magical creatures.

On the other hand, I’ve come up with a sort of hybrid system between Might and Magic and Magic : the Gathering where every faction is more like a global idea based on a common philosophy.

In that « wheel », every factions that are opposed are ennemies and their neighbours are natural allies. This would allow factions to be mixed-and-matched with various races and creatures.

I’m still wondering which system would be the best.

Anyway, players choose their faction and start building the army they will use on the battlefield. But let’s talk about rarity first. There are 5 different rarities :

•Base : base units are very common such as footmen and crude warriors. An army can contain any number of base units.

•Elite : elite units are uncommon such as horsemen or trained warriors. For each slice of 2 base units, your army can contain 1 elite unit.

•Rare : rare units aren’t very common and therefore, more powerful. War machines, powerful sorcerers or strange wild creatures are all examples of rare units. For each slice of 4 base units, your army can contain 1 rare unit.

•Epic : epic units are so uncommun that most people will never see them in a lifetime. Dragons, power demons and wierd gnomish contraptions are good examples of epic units. For each slice of 6 base units, your army can contain 1 epic unit.

•Unique : unique units are…well unique. Mythic heroes and living avatar are good examples of unique units. Your army can only contain one copy of a unique unit card. Furthermore, for each slice or 8 base units, your army can contain 1 unique unit.

This means that the smallest army possible that would contain a unique unit would be composed of 9 cards (8 base units and 1 unique unit). Taking those 8 base units, an army could be expanded to contain as much as 16 units (8 base units, 4 elite units, 2 rare units 1 epic units and 1 unique unit).

Each card also has a point value. Before they start building their armies, a maximum number of army point is determined. Players will have to build their army by respecting the rarity rules as well as this point limit. As epic and unique units will tend to cost more points, they won’t be very common in small armies.

So how do I set up a game?

I won’t be explaining every rules here (since most of them are still in my head :-P ). But here are the main ideas :

•Obectives : a victory objective is determined. Those objectives can be various and go from retriving an artifact token (capture the flag) to wiping an entire army off the board.

•Turn order : a first player is randomly determined. Players will then take « ping-pong » turns (1-2-2-1-1-2-2-1-1-2-2-1-1-and so on)

•Hasards : hasards are classified in 3 categories :
o Simple : simple hasards are bushes, broken fences and such. Their influence on the battlefield is minimal and most unit can avoid them with little to no risks.
o Challenging : challenging hasards are small hills, ponds, large trees or craters. They can be avoided by carefully maneuvering inside them.
o Difficult : difficult hasards are dangerous and the best option to deal with them is often to avoid them.

•Creating a battlefield : a square or rectangular battlefield is determined. A 2 feet x 4 feet surface is recommended. Each player take an equal amount of simple, challenging and difficult hasards and start building the battlefield using simple placement rules such as :
o No hasards can be placed less than 3 steps away from the edge of the battlefield.
o At least 3 steps must seperate each hasard.
o Challenging and difficult hasards must be at least 6 steps appart.

•Deploying : each player places a unit card in its defined deployment zone up the the point where all units has been deployed.

•Battle : the battle may begin. Starting from now, players will play simultaneously by placing orders on their units.
o Calculate the maximum number of orders that players will be able to give. This number is equal to the number of slices of 250 points you can fit into the maximum army points of the battle. By exemple, a 1000 army points battle would allow players to issue up to 4 orders a turn.
o Players would than take 4 MOVE, 4 CHARGE, 4 SHOOT and 4 SPOT order tokens.
o Finally, players count their total number of unit cards and substract the number or orders they can issue and take that much NO ORDER tokens. By exemple, if the player’s army contains 7 cards, he would take 3 NO ORDER tokens.

And how do I play?

Players take action simultaneously by placing facedown fake or actual order tokens on every of their units. When all tokens has been placed, they are revealed and orders are issued to the different units on the battlefield. Units that are currently in melee combat can only be issued the MOVE order, which will then become a FLEE action. Otherwise, the unit will continue to fight automatically.

Orders are resolved in the following orders. During each of these steps, a unit’s initiative is determined by its maoeuverability or morale value (which ever is the highest). Keep in my that a unit’s morale value is lowered by the number of wound counters present on it. So, units will act in descending order of initiative, starting with units with higher intiative and going down until you reach 0. In case of a tie, add both value. If the tie persists, use a d6 to determine a winner.

1.No order : units with no order won’t be able to take any action. They will, however, be able to defend normaly if they are charged by an ennemy unit.

2.Move : units with this order can move up to the double of their maneuverability value. However, they won’t be able to charge or shoot. Also, a unit trying to quit a melee combat (by fleeing or moving) is subject to stomping.

3.Charge : the unit charges the a ennemy unit he can see in straight line within its charge range. The unit won’t be able to cross any hasards and will move in straight line. Furthermore, a charging unit will be able to use it’s full efficiency for its first attack. A chargin unit can’t shoot.

4.Shoot : the unit makes a ranged attack against a unit withing its range and with full efficiency. The unit can also move up to half its maneuverability value and make a ranged attack. A unit can shoot and move or move and shoot but can’t split its movement.

5.Spot : the unit won’t be able to move during that turn. However, it may either shoot at the first ennemy unit that enters its range or charge the first unit that enter its charge range. He will use half its efficiency though.

Combat

So how does combat work? Combat in WarCards use simple mathematics and common d6’s. Only 8 dice are necessary. There are 2 types of combats : ranged and melee. The simpliest one is the ranged attack.

•Ranged attack : a unit with the SHOOT or SPOT order may use it’s ranged ability to perform a ranged attack on an ennemy unit. The steps to perform a ranged attack are the following :

o Estimate the distance : you can’t directly mesure the distance between the attacking unit and its target. Estimate the distance and if you think your unit can reach it, then you will have to mesure it.

o Measure the distance : check if the target is within range. If so, you’ll have to roll to see if the attack hits. Otherwize, the attack automatically misses. Distance is measured using any part of the card.
 Short range : if the distance that separates the attacker from its target is less than half its range, the target is considered being at short range.
 Long range : if the distance that separates the attacker from its target et equal or more than half and not greater than its range, the target is considered being at long range.
Note : there are no mechanical differences between short and long range and only special abilities with make use of this concept.

o Roll to hit : Roll a number of d6s equal to the unit efficiency. In that case, the elven archers’ efficiency is 4, as show by the 4 spaces on the front. Then add the unit’s ranged capacity (RC) to those dice. Every result equal or greater than the target’s defensive capacity (DC) is a hit. Furthermore, the elven archers have the special ability « sharpshooter » that allow you to reroll (but only once) each die and keep the new result.

o Roll to wound : Roll a number of d6s equal to the number of hits you achieved previously and add your ranged strength (RS). Every result equal or greater than the target’s armor (AR) is a wound. Place a wound counter on the target unit for each wound suffered.

o Check morale : every time a unit suffer wounds, this unit must make a morale check. A morale check is done by rolling a d6, adding the unit’s morale value and substracting the number of wounds counters present on it. If the number is equal or greater than 10, the unit passes the morale check. On other hand, a number lesser than 10 means the unit fails the morale check. A unit that fails a morale test will try to flee (see later).

•Melee attack : melee attack principle is similar to ranged attacks. There are however some important differences.

o Charging : If your unit has a CHARGE order, you must apply the following rules :
 Estimate the distance : you can’t directly mesure the distance between the chargin unit and its target. Estimate the distance and if you think your unit can reach it, then you will have to mesure it.
 Measure the distance : check if the target is within charge range (your unit’s maneuverability value). If so, proceed with the charge. Otherwize, move the unit in straight line like a normal movement : the charge failed.
 Charge : move the charging unit in straight line until it touches its target and then rotate it according the the sharpest angle. The example below explains it better :

o Roll to hit : Roll a number of d6s equal to the unit efficiency that are in contact with the ennemy unit. In that case, the elven archers would roll 2 dice but as this is charge action, it can roll dice equals to its efficiency (4) Then add the unit’s melee capacity (MC) to those dice. Every result equal or greater than the target’s defensive capacity (DC) is a hit.

o Roll to wound : Roll a number of d6s equal to the number of hits you achieved previously and add your melee strength (MS). Every result equal or greater than the target’s armor (AR) is a wound. Place a wound counter on the target unit for each wound suffered.

o Counter attack : as both units are in melee, the ennemy unit gets its chance to wound the attacker. Repeat the previous steps with the defending unit’s offensive stats. Even if the defending unit had a CHARGE counter on it, i twill only roll a number un dice equal to its current efficiency.

o Determine the loser : the unit that suffers the most wounds is declared the loser and must make a morale check.

o Check morale : the losing unit must make a morale check. A morale check is done by rolling a d6, adding the unit’s morale value and substracting the number of wounds counters present on it. If the number is equal or greater than 10, the unit passes the morale check. On other hand, a number lesser than 10 means the unit fails the morale check. A unit that fails a morale test will try to flee (see later).

o Stomping : a unit that flees or move out of a melee combat can become stomped. Before any movement is done, both the attacker and defender roll a d6 and add their maneuverability value. If the defender’s score is higher, he can move or flee normally. At the opposite, if the attacker’s score is higher he can stomp the defender. Immediatly perform a free melee attack using half your efficiency against the fleeing unit. Counterattacking is not allowed. Then, the defending unit can move normally. Finaly, the attacking unit can pivot on the spot for free.

Conclusion

So this is WarCards (in a very summarize and incomplete way). I would like to know what you think about this game and if it looks promising/interesting. I’m totally open to any of your suggestions and ideas as this is pretty much in a ALPHA stage yet.
Thanks every one for your time and interest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kemtox wrote:

Conclusion

So this is WarCards (in a very summarize and incomplete way). I would like to know what you think about this game and if it looks promising/interesting. I’m totally open to any of your suggestions and ideas as this is pretty much in a ALPHA stage yet.
Thanks every one for your time and interest

Okay- looks interesting! Keep at it and please post when you have some PnP files to share. That will let us see how well this plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the big reasons why I don't play wargames is because I'm not interested in buying and collecting tons of minis, so I would certainly be interested in taking a look at a more accessible card alternative game.

Since I'm not a wargamer, I can't comment on the game play, but I like how the faction wheel gives you an immediate overview on opposing faction philosophies. It certainly doesn't have to be this or linear list of faction names. They should both exist with the wheel giving the visual representation and the list elaborating on faction details and flavor.

If you're up for tweaking the factions, Intellect--Dream and Might--Wild are more compatible than opposites. You would need Intellect to make Dreams come true and being Wild could mean being instinctually full of might.

Intellect <--> Wild makes more sense. It's cognitive thought vs. primal instinct.

That leaves Might and Dream. I like what Dream could represent (fantasy, hope, possibilities, etc), but it doesn't reflect a true opposite of Might. A better opposite to Might would be Empathy or Diplomacy. It's unrelenting force vs a more peaceful and respectful resolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Strap
msg tools
secoAce wrote:
One of the big reasons why I don't play wargames is because I'm not interested in buying and collecting tons of minis, so I would certainly be interested in taking a look at a more accessible card alternative game.

Since I'm not a wargamer, I can't comment on the game play, but I like how the faction wheel gives you an immediate overview on opposing faction philosophies. It certainly doesn't have to be this or linear list of faction names. They should both exist with the wheel giving the visual representation and the list elaborating on faction details and flavor.

If you're up for tweaking the factions, Intellect--Dream and Might--Wild are more compatible than opposites. You would need Intellect to make Dreams come true and being Wild could mean being instinctually full of might.

Intellect <--> Wild makes more sense. It's cognitive thought vs. primal instinct.

That leaves Might and Dream. I like what Dream could represent (fantasy, hope, possibilities, etc), but it doesn't reflect a true opposite of Might. A better opposite to Might would be Empathy or Diplomacy. It's unrelenting force vs a more peaceful and respectful resolution.

You are right with your suggestions about Intellect <--> Dream and Might <--> Wild. However, I was seeing Intellect more like the scientific point of view (machines, artifacts and contraptions) and Dream more like the surrealism/mythological point of view (cloudy creatures, genies, djinns, etc.).

But Wild <--> Might don't fit that much. I'll try to think about something.

Also, if I understood what you correctly, you think I could combine both the "classic factions" and the wheel? So every "aspect" could become a named yet generic faction?

By example, the "Life" aspect could become "The childrens of Gaea" and so on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
Stevenson Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really cool idea! I hope you have great success with the concept. Personally, I enjoy painting miniatures, but I don't play wargames (other than Heroscape). Perhaps your cardgame is a good bridge for people like me to get into wargaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kemtox wrote:
You are right with your suggestions about Intellect <--> Dream and Might <--> Wild. However, I was seeing Intellect more like the scientific point of view (machines, artifacts and contraptions) and Dream more like the surrealism/mythological point of view (cloudy creatures, genies, djinns, etc.).

But Wild <--> Might don't fit that much. I'll try to think about something.

Also, if I understood what you correctly, you think I could combine both the "classic factions" and the wheel? So every "aspect" could become a named yet generic faction?

By example, the "Life" aspect could become "The childrens of Gaea" and so on?

I thought that was what you were trying to do especially when you used the same colored icons on the two images--that each faction is aligned with and focuses of a particular philosophy. That would give each faction their own culture so that each faction has their own unique game play and strength in whatever philosophy they believe in.

As for your explanation of Intellect <--> Dream, I still don't think they are opposites. That's suggesting that if you have a surrealistic/mythological inclination, you're unintelligent. Maybe Science <--> Dream or even Science <--> Arts would be more specific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Though "miniatures on cards" has been done before, I really like your approach. Especially the efficiency rule is pretty cool!

To add to the theme, I'd bring the number of fighters on the card in a direct relation to the number of wounds a unit can suffer.

Your elven archers can suffer three wounds? Depict 3 archers. Each wound marker covers one archer.

You unit of trolls can suffer 6 wounds? Depict 2 trolls. Trolls are tough and need more wounds to kill.

That way you can play around with the morale system, too:
You might go for units fleeing as soon as a certain number of fighters got covered instead of having them flee after a wound.

Just some thoughts

BTW: I don't know for how long I wanted to create a "dudes on cards" wargame, basing on the core mechanics of my small-scale-skirmish game.
So, I definetly am looking forward to seeing your progress here.
And yes, please, please, please do release print and play files for this!
This is going to be awesome!

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Strap
msg tools
secoAce wrote:

I thought that was what you were trying to do especially when you used the same colored icons on the two images--that each faction is aligned with and focuses of a particular philosophy. That would give each faction their own culture so that each faction has their own unique game play and strength in whatever philosophy they believe in.

As for your explanation of Intellect <--> Dream, I still don't think they are opposites. That's suggesting that if you have a surrealistic/mythological inclination, you're unintelligent. Maybe Science <--> Dream or even Science <--> Arts would be more specific.

Yeah I understand what you mean. On the other hand, I think this concept has potential flaws such as adding new factions to the game in the future.

My guess would be to use an hybrid between the two concepts: creating factions that have natural allies or ennemies, but not by following such a rigid frame yet making each faction kind of "oriented" toward a global idea.

What do you think?

I'll try to come up with some inspirationnal artwork later on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Strap
msg tools
schattentanz wrote:
Though "miniatures on cards" has been done before, I really like your approach. Especially the efficiency rule is pretty cool!

To add to the theme, I'd bring the number of fighters on the card in a direct relation to the number of wounds a unit can suffer.

Your elven archers can suffer three wounds? Depict 3 archers. Each wound marker covers one archer.

You unit of trolls can suffer 6 wounds? Depict 2 trolls. Trolls are tough and need more wounds to kill.

That way you can play around with the morale system, too:
You might go for units fleeing as soon as a certain number of fighters got covered instead of having them flee after a wound.

Just some thoughts

BTW: I don't know for how long I wanted to create a "dudes on cards" wargame, basing on the core mechanics of my small-scale-skirmish game.
So, I definetly am looking forward to seeing your progress here.
And yes, please, please, please do release print and play files for this!
This is going to be awesome!

Kind regards,
Kai

Thanks for your comment! :-)

I don't think representing units according to their health value would be a good thing. I really think have 10-15 cards in front of you with only 2-3 units per card will ruin the feeling of controlling a huge army and will make the game look more like a small skirmishes wargame (which I don't want).

Representing the wounds directly on the card isn't a bad idea, and I already though about using some king of health bar with a small wooden cube that moves such as this:

But Battlegrounds: Fantasy Warfare already uses such a system. It uses dry erase marker thought instead of cubes. And I find the healt bar really ugly. And it is wayyyyyyy easier to lose track of a wooden cube than to actualy lose 3-4 wound counters.

Also, a unit can start making morale check as long has it has lost half its health and is considered dying. So:

0 wound: fresh
1 to half health wounds: wounded
Half + 1 to max health wounds: dying (must make morale check)

Other ideas could be suitable as well.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Strap
msg tools
Here are 2 concepts for the starting factions I'll start working on the an eventual PnP version in the upcoming weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kenney
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Love the look of this, wanted to check in to see how it's coming along. I dig the idea and would definitely pick up a copy to give a whirl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Random wound idea: There could be a few different sizes of wound markers. The card indicates what size "1 damage" uses. (Small wounds, big wounds, etc) When all of the depicted units can be covered by the wound markers, the unit is dead. And you can easily see when it is half dead as well. So visually, it kind of looks like the number of combatants on the card is slowly shrinking. Elven archers would use the 1/4 size wound. A 2 troll card might use a smaller 1/8 size.

Barring that or some other unique idea I think standard wound markers are fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krister Dahlgren
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks really interesting! Any updates on the project?

I have also been tinkering with a "fantasy miniatures battle-game without miniatures", but have really nothing to show at the moment. There are a couple of similar games around - you mention Battleground, and Onus is pretty similar as well. A little further off we have games like Mage Wars and Summoner Wars. While I enjoy both those games, none of them is really a game about fantasy battles. I find that both those games have a pretty bad end-game condition - kill the enemy leader, which promotes defensive play.

Other similar games include the Commands & Colors series, most notably Battlelore. While I can still enjoy that game, I find that it has several flaws that prevents me from enjoying it more. For once, the miniatures are very nice but the distribution means that I am confined to field armies within that set of miniatures, or buy another game set. The Command cards introduces a slight FoW to the game, but I find that the timing of the game gets a bit weird, with several units never doing anything. Since some units are stronger than others and there is a limit to the number of units you can move/attack with, there is seldom a reason to attack with a less powerful unit instead, and those units only get activated after the stronger units have already been destroyed. Summoner Wars takes this to the extreme. On the opposing side, most battle games utilize a straight-up IGO-UGO system which is extremely sensitive to which player gets to make the initial charges on his opponent.

Additionally, I don't like Battlelore's way of accumulating VPs or the general combat system, where it does not really matter who or what you are attacking. Your archers have the same chance of killing some skeletons as they have killing a Chaos Lord. The special effects that trigger from the attacks and faction-specific Lore cards are very nice though. The simple systems also make for a pretty fast and approachable game, but I would like a fantasy battle game with a little more meat. Also, FFG seems to have killed off Battlelore now.

So, none of these games really hit that sweet spot I'm looking for. What about Battleground or Onus? Well, two things stand out for me. The first is the "free-range" movement system. I absolutely abhor measuring/guessing/estimating distances, and many players will sneak in an extra centimeter here and there. Failing an attack because of two millimeters is just ridiculous. It is a very fiddly and abusable system which requires a lot of rules to cover all possible maneuvers and situations - more than half of the rules for both Battleground and Onus is for the movement system alone. I am looking to implement a hex-based movement system. It makes for clean and easy movement without many ambiguities.

The second is the combat system. The roll to hit -> roll to wound -> roll for saves system has been around forever, and even if it manages to simulate both attack skill, strength, armor, evasion/dexterity and so on of the involved units, rolling chunks of dice again and again and again gets tedious and just does not do it for me anymore. This also often means that the only difference between a "basic" unit and an "elite" unit is that the elite unit has +1 to one or more of these stats which is kinda boring. The wildly different special abilities of even the lowly units is what makes Summoner Wars so interesting.

I have tried a couple of different combat systems but need to tinker around with it a bit more.

Just some random comments! Good luck with your project!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Strap
msg tools
Hi everyone and thank you for your interest!

The project is still alive but has changed a lot (like, aaaa looooot!) and has become a radicaly different game, which is now called WarTiles.

It was the lack of inspiration that made me put this project aside and rethink the whole thing. This allowed me to come up with a rather unique boardgame that is a very fun mix between Neuroshima Hex and Tetris (yup! Tetris). All the game's mechanic are unique and the possibilities are almost endless.

As french is my main language, I've made the whole thing in french. I'm currently balancing 2 of the 4 initial factions that will be included with the base game. After around 30 games, things are doing very well. This is serious fun and the luck/strategy ratio seems on point.

Here's a link to the french BETA rulebook. I also have a ALPHA english version but the rules has changed so much that it is not the same game anymore.

http://www.sorcieresdufjord.com/wartiles/REGLES_FINAL.pdf

As for WarCards...I enjoy what I came up with, but it might either become some kind of a spin-off version of WarTiles when my game will be move developped or either rethemed with sci-fi theme ala W40K.

So should I create a separate thread for WarTiles?

Thanks again and have a happy holidays :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does a combination between neuroshima hex and tetris really need a 34 page rulebook? I'd comment more, but... french.

Other than that it sounds cool and yeah a new thread would probably be most appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kosta
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kemtox wrote:
Hi everyone and thank you for your interest!

The project is still alive but has changed a lot (like, aaaa looooot!) and has become a radicaly different game, which is now called WarTiles.

It was the lack of inspiration that made me put this project aside and rethink the whole thing. This allowed me to come up with a rather unique boardgame that is a very fun mix between Neuroshima Hex and Tetris (yup! Tetris). All the game's mechanic are unique and the possibilities are almost endless.

As french is my main language, I've made the whole thing in french. I'm currently balancing 2 of the 4 initial factions that will be included with the base game. After around 30 games, things are doing very well. This is serious fun and the luck/strategy ratio seems on point.

Here's a link to the french BETA rulebook. I also have a ALPHA english version but the rules has changed so much that it is not the same game anymore.

http://www.sorcieresdufjord.com/wartiles/REGLES_FINAL.pdf

As for WarCards...I enjoy what I came up with, but it might either become some kind of a spin-off version of WarTiles when my game will be move developped or either rethemed with sci-fi theme ala W40K.

So should I create a separate thread for WarTiles?

Thanks again and have a happy holidays :-)

Oh wow. You're not kidding. This has changed a bunch! Still, I like the look of the tiles. Definitely still interested, so I'm going to slowly work through the rules, since my French is pretty bad, but I think I can handle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Strap
msg tools
saluk wrote:
Does a combination between neuroshima hex and tetris really need a 34 page rulebook? I'd comment more, but... french.

Other than that it sounds cool and yeah a new thread would probably be most appropriate.

The formating could definitely be more compact but I wanted to make sure to include as much examples as possible. The game's mechanic itself it pretty straightforward and optimized though :-)

I'll make a new thread in the upcoming days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Strap
msg tools
Mrnemo636 wrote:

Oh wow. You're not kidding. This has changed a bunch! Still, I like the look of the tiles. Definitely still interested, so I'm going to slowly work through the rules, since my French is pretty bad, but I think I can handle it.

I hope you will be able to understand the rulebook. Otherwise, producing a rought english translation of the rulebook would not take me that much time and anyway, I'll have to do it if I want to make a new thread about it here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.