Subject: Selling My Small Collection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Something has come up in my personal life, and it is looking like I will need to sell my small collection.

Most of my games have only been played about 5 or less times, so they are in great condition. Any suggestions on where I should try to sell them in order to get the best deal?
I live in Gaithersburg, MD, so I would also be open to going to some kind of convention or something to sell them. I don't have any experience with this so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Here is my list of games:
1.Cthulhu Wars - like new, all boards have been laminated
2.Nexus Ops - like new
3.Claustrophobia - very good, box has some shelf wear
4.Claustrophobia De Profundis - like new
5.Abyss - like new
6.King of Tokyo - very good
7.Eight Minute Empire Legends - like new
8.Tales of the Arabian Nights - like new
9.Telestrations - good
10.Onirim - very good
11.Jaipur - like new
12.Carcassonne - very good
13.Forbidden Island - very good
14.Zombie Dice - like new
15.Evolution - very good
16.Battlelore 2nd Edition - good, box has been taped but components are in excellent condition
17.Survive Escape from Atlantis - very good
18.Takenoko - very good
19.Incan Gold - very good

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can sell them here. You could do a local pickup auction if you didn't want to ship, or a regular one where you ship.

Guide to Selling Games on BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can auction games off for . https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/212955/games-geekgold-g4g... would not be a bad place to start. But, you may not get lots of and generally you need to do shipping.

You can put something in the marketplace, but it may go unnoticed.

You can set up a geekbay auction (a geeklist, and then a separate post pointing to the geeklist). Be sure to set minimums if that is important to you. You still have the hassle of shipping, and, if your prices are too high you may get no bites.

Ebay.

Donating them for the good feelings. But you need $.

There is also PIFF: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/193365/pay-it-forward-fir... where you'd be giving away games to get other games.

Unless you have local friends to sell them to, I'd probably try geekbay with starting/minimum bids. You'll be selling to other geeks. Put your zipcode or location in the announcement thread title and you may snag some 'local pickup' offers, saving everyone on shipping.

I have not tried shipping larger boxes. They might be a hassle. Shipping 20 items also might take more time than you feel you have, but I'm not sure there is much way around it. You can try to set up either shipping discounts for multiple buys, or put multiple games together in odd lots for one price. Both to reduce the number of times you go to the post office. For smaller game boxes, USPS has free standard rate boxes.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mhalowel wrote:
Hi guys,

Something has come up in my personal life, and it is looking like I will need to sell my small collection.

Most of my games have only been played about 5 or less times, so they are in great condition. Any suggestions on where I should try to sell them in order to get the best deal?
I live in Gaithersburg, MD, so I would also be open to going to some kind of convention or something to sell them. I don't have any experience with this so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

You could try one the upcoming local conventions..

WashingCon 2 - 10-11 Sep (Georgetown Hotel)

or

Congress of Gamers - 24-25 Sep (Rockville, MD)

or try the BGG Washington DC Area - Virtual Flea Market:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/205781/washington-dc-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Read it as "children". Glad I was wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice guys!

And John, if I had kids I'm sure they would be glad you were wrong too! Haha, well played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Live in the area and have some interest in a few of the titles. Sent you a GM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Derwood
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
mhalowel wrote:
<snip>
Any suggestions on where I should try to sell them in order to get the best deal? I live in Gaithersburg, MD, so I would also be open to going to some kind of convention or something to sell them.

Best sale methods depend on your labor costs and time preference. Fastest, with no labor, no packing, etc. is to just sell the lot to a local dealer like me at below wholesale, and let the dealer sell off at cons, BGG, eBay, etc. You get a LOT less money this way.

Listing on BGG takes some work, effectively requires a PayPal account, involves a series of interactions with customers, storage, packing, shipping, returns, etc. Makes you more money. Probably a bit more than wholesale. eBay is the same deal, only even more labor for descriptions and photos, and a higher ratio of lunatic customers.

A local con (my own, congressofgamers.org is just down the street, with FREE parking to easily move those boxes) is very convenient, and does better than BGG for popular titles. Not as good as BGG for obscure ones, which mostly get bought by dealers (like me) who cruise the shelves looking for resale arbitrage opportunities. By setting three price points, you can minimize the number that don't sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I listed the games on the BGG marketplace, and might try attending one of the local conferences depending on how quickly they sell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.