Hide
14 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Firefly: The Board Game: The Campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johns H
msg tools
Hi all, I have been lurking on these forums for some time, only recently became more active. For awhile now I have been tossing around ideas for a multiple game campaign setup. Recently I finally got around to actually putting my ideas down on paper, I also re-watched the series to make this as accurate as possible (and because I love the show). Here is what I came up with, please note that I have had very limited opportunity to play test this for balance purposes, I don't have a regular group to play with.

Note: This campaign uses rules and resources from the Pirates and Bounty Hunters, Blue Sun, and Kalidasa expansions.

Initial Setup:

Nav Decks:
Place the “RESHUFFLE” cards in the Nav Decks at the start of the game, regardless of the number of players.
Alliance & Reaver Ships:
Place the Alliance & Reaver ships at their appropriate starting locations (Londinium, Reaver Space, and Cortex Relay 2).
Choose Ships & Leaders:
The Player with the highest dice roll chooses a Leader & Ship first. The last player to choose a Leader places their Ship first. Remaining players then place their Ship in reverse order in which they chose Leaders.
Goal of the Game:
See Chapter Goal Requirements.
Starting Supplies:
Give each players $3000, 6 Fuel, & 2 Parts.
Starting Jobs:
Deal each player a Job Card from Harken, Badger, Amnon Duul, & Patience. Players my discard and, or all, of these Starting Jobs. Players must discard down to their Max Hand sixe of 3.
Priming the Pump:
Reveal the top 3 cards of each supply deck. Place the revealed cards in their discard piles.

Removed from Play Cards:
This campaign uses multiple removed from play discard piles depending on the reason a card is removed from the game.
Captured: Crew cards who have been captured by the Alliance or turned in for a Bounty
Rescuable: Crew cards from the captured pile of the previous Chapter, able to be regained (see Rescue Op).
Dead & Gone: Crew cards who have been killed or were not rescued in time.
Misc: All other cards which are removed from play for another reason (such as a specific card effect or a completed job).

Rescue Op:
As a Work Action, a Player may attempt to rescue any Bound Fugitive from the Rescuable Discard Pile (regareless of whose crew the character was originally on). Only 1 Crew card may be rescued per Work Action. To do so make a Negotiate Boarding Test at the Alliance Cruiser. If successful:
Fight: 10
1-9: Kill 2 Crew. Evade and Warrant Issued.
10+: Kill 1 Crew. Rescue the Bound Fugitive. Evade and Warrant Issued.

Between Chapter Setup:

Nav Decks:
Reshuffle all discarded Nave cards into their respective Nav Decks, place the “RESHUFFLE” cards in the Nav Decks at the start of the game.
Alliance & Reaver Ships:
All Alert Tokens remain on the board as they were at the end of the previous chapter. Place the Alliance & Reaver ships at their appropriate starting locations (Londinium, Reaver Space, and Cortex Relay 2).
Starting Locations:
The player who won the previous chapter places their Ship first, this Player will also go first. Remaining players then place their Ship in turn order.
Goal of the Game:
See Chapter Goal Requirements.
Starting Supplies:
All players retain the amount of Credits, Fuel, and Parts then ended the previous chapter with. Any player with less than $3000, 6 Fuel, and 2 Parts, may take up to that amount.
Starting Jobs:
Players retain all Active Jobs and in hand Jobs. All Job Cards in discard piles are reshuffled back into their contact deck, then reveal the top 3 cards of each contact deck. Place the revealed cards in their discard piles.
Priming the Pump:
Each player may select 1 ship upgrade or drive core, 2 crew cards, and 3 gear cards they control to keep for the new chapter, players must discard all other supply cards in their possession. Reshuffle each supply deck, then reveal the top 3 cards of each supply deck. Place the revealed cards in their discard piles.
Removed from Play Cards:
Move all cards in the Rescuable pile to the Dead and Gone pile, then move all cards in the Captured pile to the Rescuable pile.
Evening the playing field:
Each player may select a number of the following bonuses based on the number of Goal Tokens they earned in the previous Chapter. Each player may only select a given bonus once per game. The player with 3 Goal Tokens may not select any. A Player with 2 Goal tokens my select 1 Bouns. A Player with 2 Goal Tokens may select up to 2 Bonuses. A Player with No Goal Tokens may select up to 3 Bonuses. The Player with the fewest Goal Tokens selects first, any ties are determined with a dice roll.
Bonuses:
Purchase 1 card from any supply deck discard pile.
Draw 1 card from a contact deck discard pile of a contact which you are Solid with.
Load 2 Cargo or 2 Contraband.
Discard 1 Warrant Token.
Discard one active Job.

Winning the Campaign:

At the end of each Chapter, every Player gains points equal to the number of Goal Tokens they earned, all Goal Tokens are then discarded before the next Chapter begins.
The Player with the most points at the end of the Campaign is the winner. In the event of a tie, the player with the most money is the winner

Note: For multiple part Goals, I recommend using a 'Completed Token' from the Kalidasa expansion to track when individual parts are finished.

Chapter 1: This is a Fertile Land

Players may not deal with Niska, Lord Harrow, or Magistrate Higgins.

Goal 1: Serenity
Persephone, Lux:
Load 2 Passengers and 2 Contraband
Athens, Georgia:
Misbehave x2, 'Ambush' to Deliver 2 Contraband.
Ambush:
Fight: 8
1-7: Kill a Crew, Attempt Botched.
8+: Deliver 2 Contraband to Complete Goal.
Boros, Georgia:
Deliver 2 Passengers to get Paid $2000.

Goal 2: The Train Job
Requirements: Transport, 1 Fight, 1 Tech, and 1 Negotiate.
Regina, Georgia:
Misbehave x4
Choose:
Keep Payment: $3000, Goal Complete.
---Or
Return Payment: Special (see Chapter 2 rule: Not so Solid), Goal Complete.

Goal 3: Bushwhacked
Sector with "Red Sun", Red Sun:
Tech: 7
1-6: Discard 1 Ship Upgrade, Attempt Botched.
7+: Load 1 Passenger.
Alliance Cruiser, White Sun:
Negotiate: 10
1-9: Warrent Issued, Attempt Botched.
10+: Deliver 1 Passenger to Complete Goal.
The First Player to complete this Goal ends the Chapter.

Chapter 2: Big Damn Heroes

Players may not deal with Niska, Lord Harrow, or Magistrate Higgins.
Special Rule: Not so Solid:
Any Player who returned the payment to Niska (Chapter 1, Goal 2) may place a haven token on Ezra.
Any Player who enters Ezra without a haven token there must kill 1 Crew.
Any player who ends their movement on Ezra must kill 1 crew.

Goal 1: Shindig
Requirements: Fancy Duds and must be Solid with Badger.
Persephone, Lux:
Select 1 Crew for a Fight.
Fight: 5 Kosherized Rules.
+2 with a Knife.
1-4: Kill the selected Crew, Attempt Botched.
5+: Load 3 Cargo to Complete Goal.
Players with the first Goal Token may Deal with Lord Harrow.

Goal 2: Safe
Jiangyin, Red Sun:
Misbehave x2
1-7: Kill 1 Crew, Warrant issued, Attempt Botched.
8+: Deliver 3 Cargo. Select 1 Crew, Set them aside removed from play.
Alliance Cruiser, White Sun:
Negotiate: 7
1-6: Attempt Botched.
7+: Goal Complete.
Optional: Jiangyin, Red Sun:
Negotiate: 8
1-7: Kill a Crew. Attempt Botched.
8+: Reclaim removed Crew.
---Or
Requires at least 2 Fight from Firearm Gear: Reclaim removed Crew.
---Or
Hill Folk: Reclaim removed Crew.

Goal 3: Our Mrs. Reynolds
Triumph, Red Sun:
Fight: 9
1-8: Kill a Crew, Attempt Botched.
9+: Load a Passenger, Proceed.
Open Sector adjacent to Beaumonde, Kalidasa:
Requirements: Hacking Rig
Tech: 8
1-7: Kill a Crew, Attempt Botched.
8+: Goal Complete.
The first player to complete this goal ends the chapter.
---Or
Requirements: Sniper Rifle.
Fight: 10
1-9: Attempt Botched
10+: Goal Complete.

Chapter 3: No Power in the 'Verse

Players may not deal with Niska or Magistrate Higgins.
Special Rule: Not so Solid:
Any Player who returned the payment to Niska (Chapter 1, Goal 2) may place a haven token on Ezra.
Any Player who enters Ezra without a haven token there must kill 1 Crew.
Any player who ends their movement on Ezra must kill 1 crew.
Special Rule: Out of Gas:
When a Player fails a Breakdown roll, they must discard all Fuel.
Ship upgrades which allow a Player to ignore Breakdowns instead allows that Player to ignore this rule, they must still roll for the Breakdown.

Goal 1: Jaynestown:
Harvest, Red Sun:
Requirements: Fancy Duds.
Misbehave x2
Negotiate: 8
1-7: Choose 1 Crew for a Flight:
---Fight: 6
---1-5: Kill a Crew.
---6+: Goal Complete.
8+: Goal Complete.
Players with the first Goal Token may Deal with Magistrate Higgins.

Goal 2: Ariel:
Ariel, White Sun:
Requirements: Transport and Fake ID.
Misbehave x3
1-7: Warrant Issued, Attempt Botched.
8+: Goal Complete

Goal 3: War Stories:
Ezra, Georgia: Player must mosey into Ezra Sector, Players may ignore 'Not so Solid' Rule when working this Goal.
Make a Tech Boarding Check, if successful:
Fight: 12
1-11: Kill 2 Crew, Attempt Botched.
12+: Goal Complete.

Chapter 4: Some Imminent Violence

Special Rule: Objects in Space:
Whenever a Player ends their Move Action in a non-Planetary Sector, they must choose 1 Wanted Crew and make an Alliance Wanted Roll for that Crew.

Goal 1: Trash:
Bellerophon: White Sun:
Requirements: Hacking Rig and Fake ID.
Misbehave x3
Tech: 7
1-6: Warrant Issued, Attempt Botched.
7+: Goal Complete.

Goal 2: The Message:
Requirements: Must be Solid with Amnon Duul
Space Bazaar, Red Sun:
Load 1 Fugitive
St. Albans, Red Sun:
Negotiate: 10
1-9: Fight: 9
---1-8: Kill a Crew, Attempt Botched.
---9+: Deliver 1 Fugitive to Complete Goal.
10+: Deliver 1 Fugitive to Complete Goal.

Goal 3: Heart of Gold:
Deadwood, Blue Sun:
Requirements: Firearm
1-11: Kill 2 Crew, Attempt botched.
12+: Coal Complete.

Chapter 5: I Aim to Misbehave

Special Setup: Leave no ground to go to.
Place an Alliance Alert Token on each Supply Planet and Contact Planet, these are permanent.
Place an Alliance Alert Token on every other Planetary Sector except for Miranda.

Goal 1: Going for a Ride
New Canaan, Blue Sun:
Requirements: Transport
Misbehave x2
1-5: Kill 2 Crew, Attempt Botched.
6-7: Kill 1 Crew, Attempt Botched.
8+: Load 2 Contraband.
Beaumonde, Kalidasa:
Requirements: Must be Solid with Fanty & Mingo.
Fight 9:
1-7: Kill a Crew, Warrant Issued, Attempt Botched.
8-9: Kill a Crew, Attempt Botched.
9+: Deliver 2 Contraband to Complete Goal.

Goal 2: Civilized Resolution
Sihnon, White Sun:
Negotiate: 12
1-11: Choose 1 Crew for a Fight:
---Fight: 6
---1-5: Kill Chosen Crew.
---6+: Goal Complete.
12+: Goal Complete.

Goal 3: Can’t Stop the Signal
Miranda, Burnham:
1-7: Attempt Botched.
8+: Load 1 Contraband.
Cortex Relay 7:
Requirements: Explosives and must be Solid with Mr. Universe. Player must Kill 1 Crew to work this goal, if the Player has a Pilot they must choose to kill the Pilot first.
Misbehave x4
1-9: Kill 3 Crew, Attempt Botched.
10-11: Kill 2 Crew, Attempt Botched.
12+: Deliver 1 Contraband to Complete Goal.

Appendix:

As I said, I have had minimal opportunity to test the balance of the Goals and rules, (though they are all based on existing Story, Misbehave, and Job Cards) further play testing from the community would be great.

If anyone is able to provide solid information for what planet Heart of Gold and the Heist from Serenity take place on, I would greatly appreciate it, they are the only 2 unnamed planets that I am using, so currently they are a best guess.
EDIT: thanks to Gwek for the information here.

Finally, while this is playable, I do not necessarily consider the campaign to be totally finished. I am open to suggestions and ideas for improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll check in with some thoughts when I have time to process this, but:

HEART OF GOLD = Deadwood

Heist from SERENITY (TV episode) = Regina

Heist from SERENITY (movie) = Lilac, a moon of New Canaan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johns H
msg tools
gwek wrote:

HEART OF GOLD = Deadwood

Thanks for the info, do you have a source for this? It seems odd that the heist from Serenity (movie) takes place at Blue Sun, shortly after leaving the planet one of Mal's lines says that they will be on Beaumonde "in 10 hours time."
Also what heist are you referring to from the episode Serenity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ForeverZero6 wrote:
Between Chapter Setup:

Priming the Pump:
Each player may select 1 ship upgrade, 2 crew cards, and 3 gear cards they control to keep for the new chapter, players must discard all other supply cards in their possession. Reshuffle each supply deck, then reveal the top 3 cards of each supply deck. Place the revealed cards in their discard piles.
What if a player has upgraded their Drive Core? Do they revert back to the standard Drive Core or do they get to keep the upgraded Drive Core?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ForeverZero6 wrote:
gwek wrote:

HEART OF GOLD = Deadwood

Thanks for the info, do you have a source for this? It seems odd that the heist from Serenity (movie) takes place at Blue Sun, shortly after leaving the planet one of Mal's lines says that they will be on Beaumonde "in 10 hours time."
Also what heist are you referring to from the episode Serenity?

D'oh! I answered to quickly for Serenity and was thinking TRAIN JOB, not SERENITY. Consider the comment withdrawn.

The source for Lilac is the script and the novelization. I'm not sure if it's mentioned by name in the movie.

I agree that it's odd that they would be in Beaumonde in 10 hours (indeed, the movie takes them from Blue Sun, across the 'Verse to Kalidasa, then BACK to Blue Sun), but it's important to remember that Joss Whedon did not create the map of the 'Verse that we use, and, in fact, I don't think he even used a legitimate map of any kind. Indeed, the idea of 5 systems and even the number of planets and moons, was created well after the series, and possibly after the movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johns H
msg tools
Dalek1 wrote:
ForeverZero6 wrote:
Between Chapter Setup:

Priming the Pump:
Each player may select 1 ship upgrade, 2 crew cards, and 3 gear cards they control to keep for the new chapter, players must discard all other supply cards in their possession. Reshuffle each supply deck, then reveal the top 3 cards of each supply deck. Place the revealed cards in their discard piles.
What if a player has upgraded their Drive Core? Do they revert back to the standard Drive Core or do they get to keep the upgraded Drive Core?

If a player has upgrade their drive core they would be allowed to choose it as their ship upgrade to keep for the next chapter. I have edited the main post to make this more clear, thanks for pointing out the confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Nice idea!!! Taking notes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So one thing I should say (and please take this as constructive criticism) is that while each chapter looks like a good story card, the whole thing does not appear to be greater than the sum of it's parts.

I think that in order for a campaign idea to work there needs to be a clear narrative that gathers in pace towards the climax and the sense that no two play throughs will be the same with actions early having an effect on later events. For those things to come through I think we need to discard the story cards as they are now.

Even still good work and I will try to give a couple of yours a play through this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johns H
msg tools
MontyMooMan wrote:
So one thing I should say (and please take this as constructive criticism) is that while each chapter looks like a good story card, the whole thing does not appear to be greater than the sum of it's parts.

I think that in order for a campaign idea to work there needs to be a clear narrative that gathers in pace towards the climax and the sense that no two play throughs will be the same with actions early having an effect on later events. For those things to come through I think we need to discard the story cards as they are now.

Even still good work and I will try to give a couple of yours a play through this weekend.

You are not wrong here, as a story on its own, this campaign definitely seems a bit disjointed, though I feel this is somewhat to be expected given the nature of this particular campaign. When making this I was focused on keeping a strong theme and giving each goal a feeling that fit the episode of the show it was based on (also finding a good way to incorporate 'Out of Gas' and 'Objects in Space' into the campaign as well). The actual story cards of the campaign is easily changed to fit whatever story a given group would like to tell or play through.

For me, the real takeaway that I hope people get is the core rule set for the multiple chapter setup. Striking a balance in what things carry over from game to game and what each player has to give up when starting the next round. Letting each player keep enough to give a feeling of continuity from one game to the next without taking away entire phases of play from the later games. I spent a fair bit of time trying to strike that right balance and I would like to think I succeeded, but if not, hey, house rule it for yourself, I certainly don't mind.

In the future I would love to really let the storyteller in me go nuts writing a set of story cards that spans multiple chapters like this, building up to a huge climax in the end. Maybe even get really ambitious and give players alternate paths to take depending on how they resolve certain story cards, something like you play Chapter 2a or Chapter 2b depending on how you acted in chapter 1. But for now I am happy with being able to play the stories that were told in the series (I had this idea floating around in my head for far too long before I finally got around to putting it to paper and sorting out the specifics).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure about everyone else but for me I like the story part of playing the game but the people I play with generally are not so inclined. They tend to be more goal orientated and focus on what they need to do. Every time I try to read out the flavour text on the story cards I just get blank faces.

To be honest as it is I don't really think this game has the scope that allows for meaningful progression over 5 games. Carrying gear and crew forward is ok but I think for 5 sessions there needs to be alot more for potential players to get on board for the whole journey.

I never tried it myself but I do remember a thread on these forums a while ago that implemented a starter ship called a Sandfly and then later on you upgrade to a Firefly and progress that way. That might work over 2 or 3 sessions.

The stuff in your last paragraph is more like where I feel a campaign needs to go. It offers so many possibilities and makes co-op a stronger opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion with the sandfly is called 10% of Nothin'. Some really nice ideas in there but some that would make each session drag out too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Jandt
msg tools
mb
I don't see Objects in Space as a goal. Any reason you left that off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johns H
msg tools
ravynlocke wrote:
I don't see Objects in Space as a goal. Any reason you left that off?

I didn't leave it off, both 'Objects in Space' and 'Out of Gas' are set as special rules for the chapter they belong in. Both are episodes where the crew doesn't really do any work, making them very awkward to setup as a Goal. I considered having them be a specific skill check type encounter like with 'Our Mrs. Reynolds' but couldn't come up with anything I really liked enough to have a chapter with 4 Goals instead of the usual 3.

Here is the rule for that episode, btw.
ForeverZero6 wrote:
Special Rule: Objects in Space:
Whenever a Player ends their Move Action in a non-Planetary Sector, they must choose 1 Wanted Crew and make an Alliance Wanted Roll for that Crew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Jandt
msg tools
mb
Well that explains a lot. Thanks!

I like this. Any thought to transferring it to the story cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.