Hide
5 Posts

Unfair» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Preview: Playtesting Session rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris capasso
msg tools
2 players: Chris (2 games of experience) vs. John (2 games of experience)
Themes played: Jungle and Robot
Game Changer: First Date
Super Attractions: The Jungle Queen and RoboFactory

First City Event is A Senior's Club, which works great with my starting hand. My goals during the first round are usually to develop a good income base (lets you build your Super Attraction early) and gathering blueprints to shape my endgame goals. I have a Cable Car in my hand, great rate of 2 for 8 coins and it's a leisure ride to trigger A Senior's Club. After building that, I grab a blueprint. I'm fortunate enough to hit River Romance, which I keep and set as my primary goal for the rest of the game. Lastly, I manage to snag a Picnic Spot from the market. Getting one of these is perfect because it pushes my park to a 5 total and fulfills my Nature Area for River Romance.

My next couple of rounds involved more development. I held back on building my Super Attraction for a while. It would have helped a lot to be able to play upgrades for free or dig for the specific cards I needed from the park deck, but I wanted to prioritize my blueprint first. The Natural Order shows up as a Food Outlet for my blueprint, and as a way to conveniently use the Jungle Theme in my hand. At this point, with a the only things I'm missing from my blueprint being a Theatre and quality on my Food Outlet (I had quality in my hand IIRC), I grab another blueprint. The Checklist is quite an easy one compared to the other option which involved a lot of thrill rides. I figured I would be able to complete it so I held onto it. With quality in my hand I spent a turn looking for the Unusual Bequest event to try and save 15 coins, not realizing that just playing Jungle Queen at this point may have been the correct play because playing an upgrade for free is one of its abilities as well.

The rest of the game (last 3 rounds) was pretty uneventful. I honestly think the first few turns are the most important, at least in 6 round games. I've only played a single 8 round game so far, though.

Animatronic Show got me my Theatre requirement, and with some fancy Robot Theme shenanigans, I managed to pile 3 Guest Services upgrades onto it. I build Jungle Queen around late R4 just to be able to put Quality upgrade on my The Natural Order and snag those extra 7 points from River Romance. I remember using a Safety Cerficate to block an event from John, and that the City Events didn't interfere with my plan too much. The last round of the game, a timely Reconfigure allowed me to move all of the Guest Services upgrades onto The Jungle Queen for extra points.

Final Score Breakdown:
_______________C_____J
Attractions___72____53
Coins_________11_____9
Blueprints____52____42 (River Romance + Checklist vs. The Quiet Jungle)
Other__________3_____3
Loans________-10___-10
Total________128____97

Takeaways:

-Early blueprints should shape a large majority of your plan.

-Use events defensively to try and protect important upgrades.

-Know what City Events are possible. Some of them, such as The Drainage Crisis are completely avoidable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my first writeup like this, and I'm planning to do more. I'm also going to compile all of our data from playtesting if possible, seeing which blueprints/Super Attractions win most often. Constructive criticism is welcome! You can find me here or at the Kickstarter page under the username SeoHyun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you enjoy playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris capasso
msg tools
I love playing this game, honestly. It reminds me a bit of Ascension and Castles of Mad King Ludwig. You're trying to maximize the number of points you can generate by constantly min-maxing. In the beginning, which play will be worth more points is very nebulous, however. I can already tell that Unfair will be a game that rewards knowledge on the game, so I'm personally trying to play with the same group of people while testing.

The thing that separates this game from the previous two games I listed is the interaction from event cards, especially the city events. My friend group recently complained about the other two being a bit linear, which is definitely a reasonable critique. With so many viable options per turn in Unfair, I can see a variety of strategies being rewarded.

I'm playing with pretty low quality B&W proxies right now, but whenever I check the spoilers I'm reminded how awesome the art of this game is! Your board just gets filled with this awesome theme-park art.

Anyways, rant over. Game is fun and the hours I spent proxying it are already worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting to see you mentioning Castles of Mad King Ludwig. IMO a major selling point of Castles was the need for spatial limitation when considering how best to min-max everything.

Obviously there isn't a 1-to-1 representation in Unfair, though where there any feelings of 'limitations' when it came to building the attractions? Eg: Some upgrades must be paired with certain attraction type, but then there's other factors to consider...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris capasso
msg tools
I got pretty good at Castles after jamming with my friends so many times. I started forming holes in my Castle that would be filled by a piece I knew existed for a lot of value later on.

In Unfair, I'm learning which blueprints exist to similarly prepare for them. I can put Quality upgrades on my food outlet in anticipation for River Romance or Fine Dining (not sure if this is the name) from the Vampire theme deck. While spatial elements are important to Castles, both games definitely reward knowledge of the possibilities to come as a serious way to score some points. Putting your Castle tile or upgrade on a specific spot can seriously lose you some future points!

EDIT: it's worth mentioning that the number of board games under my belt is quite small compared to the seasoned veterans. I know it's not a perfect anology, just a "gut feeling" kind of connection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.