Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Ng
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Can the defensive player MOVE, DEFEND and MOVE, DEFEND, or DO NOTHING?
The rules only list move, defend, or do nothing.
E.g. The retiarius has stopped the secutor with 'trident interrupt thrust', can he then move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon haines
England
manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mb
I've played it as just defend or move,purely from seeing it as a time thing. Player A attacks, Player B jumps out of the way, thats happening really all at the same time. Also don't forget some of the defence cards also include movement, Retiarius spin defence being one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Ng
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Perhaps that's what the designer had in mind. For the above example, the Secutor is now 2 hexes away and if he retains control he can engage in close combat the following round. Pretty dire for the net man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon haines
England
manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mb
Only if the cards fall for him He may move to attack, but it may be a defend card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Ng
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
The duel continues and more questions. The Secutor closes and chooses to attack with Gladius Quick Thrust. The Retiarius picks Dodge Right or Left for defense. Fortune favors the brave--ATTACK card is used to resolve the combat. The attack failed.
Does the turn end here or can the Retiarius dodge right or left, moving to his front right or left?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon haines
England
manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mb
The Duel ends there,and control is resolved again. Take it as if i swing at you and miss, would you still want to get out of the way or try to attack back,control in this game is brilliant, basically i think, you have to think as the Gladiator, something other games do not ask you too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Ng
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Then again did he miss because you dodged?
This seems to be implied in the rules page 12 section 8 under Combat Procedure (egads, I'm sounding like a lawyer) which states: if the number does not fall within the To Hit range...a missed attack ...has occurred, meaning that it's opposite has succeeded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon haines
England
manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mb
So the attack failed because he picked a card which was outside of the number required? If so look at page 13 after point 14, as the attack failed a new control attribute check would then have been made. Hmmm I think this needs clearing up better.

See this http://nocturnalmediaforum.com/iecarus/forum/showthread.php?...

This helps i think lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Ng
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I was going to ask about the new control check called for as aresult of combat. What's the point. At the beginning of the following turn the control is checked again which can overturn the previous result.
The way I have been playing is, if the player currently in control loses it after the new control check combat requirement, that result is carried over to the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Ng
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
More useful for novice players like me than the videos are the questions posed by Skoll and answered by Jim Trunzo.

I got clarification from paragraph 7 in the FAQ on using the Defend card when your opponent's attack failed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon haines
England
manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mb
I agree with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.