Subject: Overview of all Legends and short review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for English of non-english-speaker.

I will try to overview this expansion for those who interested in it but don't know how much content in the box.

So from the very beginning: I love this expansion - so many new cool things and concepts! It feels different, plays different and board is compatible with board from base game!

This expansion - literally a new game in the same universe, it's completely new experience with more focus on the battles that have now become much more intense. Feels like some sort of blockbuster - a lot of battles, storms, shipwrecks, artifacts, bosses. And a lot of sailing also!

In general, if you like the basic "Andor" and you want new game, you can instead buy this expansion.

"Journey to the north", in my opinion, requires less planning, but more luck and arithmetics . It may appeal even to those who don't like the base game, since the game feels completely different and not puzzly, like Legend 1, 5 and "Battle for Cavern" from the base game.

Components

d10-1 double-sided game board
d10-2 4 new legends (+1 official printable legend)
d10-3 1 new hero (+1 official printable hero, +1 official printable blank hero)
d10-4 3 new types of monsters
d10-5 5 new bosses (+1 in official printable legend) and 2 new kinda-bosses
d10-6 8 new artifacts
d10-7 wooden ship and shipboard
d10-8 bunch of tokens, cards, standees, etc.

Main game-flow changes

d10-1 no castle defending
d10-2 instead of castle you defends 4 islands from sea creatures
d10-3 less walking - more sailing
d10-4 many "pickup and delivery"-style missions
d10-5 less variations of monsters paths
d10-6 no more calculation of monsters jumps
d10-7 monsters more powerful -> more focusing on the fights
d10-8 no more racing with narrator

Storytelling
Storytelling is much better than in base game, but still not really a show stealer. Even maybe a little bit better than in "Starshield" expansion.

Scaling
I think game not scale very well. Playing with 4 players much harder. Even harder than base game for me.

Overview of legends (no spoilers)

Legend 7 "Finding Cartographer"

Objectives: the same goals every game with some random nonlinearities
Monster placement: the same monsters, some of them are placed randomly
Boss: 1 boss placed randomly
Feeling of story: present
My opinion: an interesting legend, introduces players to a new map
Verdict: you can play it 2-3 times, preferably with different number of players

Legend 8 "The Storm Begins"

Objectives: starting goal is the same every game with a random layout, 1 out of 2 symmetric objectives appears in the course of the game
Boss: none
Feeling of story: barely
My opinion: the most boring legend of expansion, but it introduces a lot of new features, making the first playthrough interesting
Verdict: you must play and win it 1 time, it's possible to play couple of times more, preferably with different number of players

Legend 9 "Lords of the Sea"

Objectives: the players get 3 starting goals out of 9, and 1 goal is the same every game
Monster placement: monster placement is different every game by using the creature tokens (6 out of 10)
Boss: 1 out of 3 bosses
Feeling of story: no
My opinion: a great legend that due to many random factors can be a very hard or very easy, analogue of Legend 3 for this expansion, also a random shipwrecks is pretty awesome
Verdict: you must play and win it at least 3 times to kill each boss, but it is possible to play more, because this legend is unique each time

Legend 10 "Hadria"

Objectives: 1 out of 3 symmetric starting goals, and 1 out of 3 goals appears in the course of the game
Monster placement: several Monster placement variants during the game
Boss: 1 out of 2 middle-game kinda-bosses and 1 Main Boss
My opinion: a very interesting and epic legend, but the new snow mechanics is very contradictory, only one legend on the "Hadria" board side
Verdict: you must play and win it at least 2 times to kill each boss, but it is possible to play more, because this legend is unique each time

Official Bonus-Legend "Return of the Black Cog"

Objectives: starting goal is the same every game
Boss: 1 big boss with 3 out of 9 special skills and the random placement
My opinion: a very interesting and epic legend with a bunch of entertaining ideas and new awesome hero, this legend is better than other bonus-legends, also it even better than some of the in-game legends
Verdict: you can play it 2-3 times to see different boss abilities

Final thoughts

I think there's a lot of content and replayability in this box. But first 3 legends of expansion don't feels THAT different in comparison with the legends from base game.

Also I think that base game offers more options for creating your own legends than this expansion (only). But when you combine both games... it's breathtaking! I'm already played fan-legend for combined boards - it was so epic!

Some time after completing all legends I feel that... I love base game more than "Journey to the North", but this journey I'll also never forget.

So... Live the Legend everybody!

Little piece of advice
Play without Grenolin the Bard - it's too easy!

Just use the new north wells for 3-6 players. And in 2-player even don't use north wells.

Two little gripes
If only back side of fog tokens was the same color as in the base game... Because now there is no way to combine fog from base game and the expansion, I would gladly play base game with north fog tokens, bit I can't.

Also sometimes game prone to early losses on higher difficulty levels, but if you don't mind to resetup ans star again it's not an issue.

Pictures from http://legenden-von-andor.de/ I hope nobody will arrest me for using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This overview is excellent and well thought out. Thank you for it. I came here looking for precisely this information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
happycatmachine wrote:
This overview is excellent and well thought out. Thank you for it. I came here looking for precisely this information.

I'm glad it helped!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Poling
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I'm even more excite for it! Thanks for the great review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.