Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a clever and original idea, ainnit?!

What games should I buy next?

Yes, I do have 115 already, which any normal person completely freaks out about when they discover. And yes, there are fully a quarter of the games I already own that I have yet to get the chance to play. But still... what can I say? I'm a collector, and I love collecting. I love the feeling of purchasing something that is a great quality product that deserves to be purchased.

The only thing about my collection right now is I feel it's sort of "obvious". Like, here's a guy who just looked at every geek list about the hottest new EuroGames and put em in his cart. Oooh, PR, Caylus, Power Grid, Ticket to Ride, Bohnanza! How unique!

It would be fun to fill out my collection with some slightly more obscure titles that just happen to really be "my kind of games" -- games that the community at large may underappreciate but which I would consider a gem. I'd love to find games like that.

So what are "my kind of games"?

* easy to get to the table -- have a "pull" to them that makes you want to play them again and again

* doesn't take much more than an hour to play

* rules don't take forever and a year to teach to n00bs

* doesn't have to have super-deep strategy, just lots of Decisions That Matter.

* preferably not in the top 300 or so because if it is, and I think I would like it, I probably bought it already

* It's a pretty big plus when the components have some "ooh, aah" factor to them... not that they should be gaudy (cleopatra!), but I don't, for example, fancy playing the "cheapass" style of games.

* I don't know, I just like it when games are fun, you know?

I've spent a while putting in user comments for the games I own, in the hopes this will help you with your task

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewcollection.php3?username=ke...

It would be fun if any of my fellow geeks and geekettes would feel like helping me out with this. thanks!

K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I've got an idea, you could tell me what games to buy ne
Given your likes and dislikes from your collection, I would suggest The Pillars of the Earth. It fits in well with your enjoyment of St Petersburg and Santiago, and you seem to prefer lighter games (which this is).

Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few recommendations, from different styles and genres:

BattleLore
Taluva
Arkadia
The Pillars of the Earth
Thurn and Taxis
Mr. Jack
Hey, That's My Fish!
Masons

P.S. There's nothing to worry about with 115 games. My wife and I have 187 (we'll probably be around 200 by the end of the year).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Re: I've got an idea, you could tell me what games to buy ne
Quote:
Yes, I do have 115 already, which any normal person completely freaks out about when they discover. And yes, there are fully a quarter of the games I already own that I have yet to get the chance to play.

Only a quarter? Clearly, you don't have enough games...

- wishes he could get 75% of his games to the table..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.