Subject: Ideas For Camping Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandy
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
Summer is just about over, but in my typical, "late to the party" fashion, I'd like to ask which games you brought camping with you this year. We're a group of eight young to middle aged adults. I've packed the dice and the playing cards, as well as the crib board. I've also thrown Coup and Sushi Go into the Rubbermaid, but what other titles are worthy of the picnic table in the forest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive obviously. All those bugs crawling around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought an ultra-light backpacking version of Glen More on a 30+ mile trek through Zion.

I scanned, printed, and laminated all the tiles, meeples, and central board. The resources were already small and light. The whole things came in at 3 oz. and fit in a 5 x 7" zipped baggie.

For car camping, the kids always bring Qwirkle and Sushi Go!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Waz
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We took:
Bears!
Spot it camping edition
National Park Yahtzee
Moose Farkle
Travel Clue
and a backpackers set of Bocce ball from REI with us to an Alaskan RV trip this summer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I brought camping:

San Juan
Sushi Go!
Catan Dice
The Oregon Trail Card Game
Splendor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Star Realms!! Super portable, able to play on picnic table, in tent, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cockroach Poker / Kaker Laken Poker / Bug Bluff is one of the ones I always take on jaunts and expeditions. It plays 3-6 (It'll play up to eight in a pinch; but you have to lower the card totals to two or three).

You should also ... *cough* ... "familiarize" yourself with the rules of Skull, (preferably by buying the game but it's not strictly necessary ...) as you can play Skull with both the cockroach poker deck or a standard card deck once you know the rules. You can also play cockroach poker with two standard card decks, but it's not (quite) as fun. So: 2 standard decks, or one standard deck and one cockroach poker deck will do all three games to relatively high player counts.

If you've got a bit more room in your pack / car, Bang the Dice Game plays up to 8, and most of the Resistance variants go up to 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WanderingWahine wrote:
Summer is just about over, but in my typical, "late to the party" fashion, I'd like to ask which games you brought camping with you this year. We're a group of eight young to middle aged adults. I've packed the dice and the playing cards, as well as the crib board. I've also thrown Coup and Sushi Go into the Rubbermaid, but what other titles are worthy of the picnic table in the forest?

I'll second BANG! The Dice Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Red7, Chess, Checkers, or Sequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I:
Targi
Lost Cities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandy
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
Wow- thanks for all the great tips everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Bemis
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
Zombie dice, playing cards waterproof, roll for it, pandemic the cure,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago, my GF and I were camping and fancied getting a game to play in the tent. We found a little games shop and bought Catan Card Game. We had great fun with it, though trying to play in a tiny 2 man tent using a torch hung from the ceiling was tricky! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elaine Winifred

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morels - foraging for mushrooms in the forest, while one is in the forest! Charming set collection game that moves along nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Harrison
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Happy Salmon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
sinnylong wrote:
I brought an ultra-light backpacking version of Glen More on a 30+ mile trek through Zion.

I scanned, printed, and laminated all the tiles, meeples, and central board. The resources were already small and light. The whole things came in at 3 oz. and fit in a 5 x 7" zipped baggie.

+1 for Qwirkle and Sushi Go!. They also sell a Qwirkle travel edition which helps with size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kenny Dorham || Trompeta Toccata || Whistle Stop || Una Mas
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking of how many camping games suggestion threads I'd seen, I did a search in the Recommendations forum looking for hits with 'camping' in the title:

2 player games while camping
Camping With 4 People
Games that hold up well outdoors, such as while camping
Games for camping?
Camping - two player games?
Games to take camping
Good free options for camping.
7 guys are going camping. One of them is bringing a game. Which game?
Please help me build a camping board game collection
Great 2-6 player camping games.
Quick (time sensitive) suggestions for 2-6p quick game for Camping?
Camping Games for Kids
Party game for 4 (possibly 5) to take camping
Hard time finding game for camping trip
Games to play with lots of kids on a camping trip
Camping Trip with Teenagers - Card game suggestions?
Card games to take camping
Game recommendation for a big camping trip
Suggestions For Great Games For Camping
Suggestions for a Camping Travel Kit of Dice Games.
Small package card games for 2 - more players to take camping?
Portable game for 4 adults for a camping trip. I need help!
Recommendation for picnic/campground/outdoors but not actually "camping" for non-gamers
Games for Camping
Need a game to take camping, for play with non-gamers
Fun Camping Game?
camping games
Games to take camping. . .with unusual language requirements
Need games for camping holidays
Good games for camping

There's a lot more where those came from; the ones I listed only go back to summer of 2011. Hopefully having so many with varying requirements in one post will prove helpful to somebody.

Oh, and btw I just got back from camping myself. Mostly hiked and played with the grandkids, but I did get in a game of cribbage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We took Star Wars X-Wing, Roll for It!, Qwirkle Travel, Mamma Mia, Stratego Card Game, Pass the Pigs, Le Boombe in addition to some of the ones mentioned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Jones
United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For me camping games are fun, quick to play and don't need space.

Fluxx has worked well in the past with a friend. I imagine Red7 would too.
If there are more of you then maybe Coup or The Resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DIY versions of Racetrack and Qwixx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vosberg
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
About 6 months ago I was at REI with my wife and we saw some of the games made for camping with magnetic pieces small boards and such. There were the games you would expect to see at your local Walmart but in travel size.

I wonder why nobody has started to make travel/camping additions to the popular games out now. We mostly take card games like Fluxx, Sushi Go, Love Letter, 7 Wonders Duel, and Patchwork camping and traveling. They are easy to pack and play almost anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just me, but if I go camping, I'd be inclined to leave the board games behind. I can always do that whenever we have a spare table. Camping is something I can only enjoy with much planning, preparation, and effort. As such, I'd try to enjoy the outdoors more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most decent camp sites will have a pretty big picnic table, so really, as long as the weather is favorable, and you bring an outdoor tablecloth, you can play just about anything. I've done Marvel Legendary, Race For the Galaxy, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game...

Then for inside the camper when it's late or rainy, I pull out smaller stuff like Tiny Epic Galaxies, Flip City, or Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Ritchey
United States
Whitefish Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sinnylong wrote:

Good idea with Glen More.

I've brought an ultralight version of Chicago Express and For Sale many times. Next week, I'm bringing Diplomacy on a 40+ hike in Yosemite. Scanned, laminated board and plastic Risk pieces for armies and fleets. 4-player Sail Ho! map. And Coup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are currently having barbecue sessions by the river around once a week with a few collegues from work and as there isn't really any table space I was trying to figure out games that work well even in this setting and these are 3 that I'm usually taking now:
Happy Salmon
Spyfall
Mafia de Cuba
All of those play at least 6, have minimal components and people usually can just keep stuff in their hands.

If anyone has more suggestions in that category I'd be happy to know as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.