Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am hoping to play this for the first time tonight, and after reading some posts and watching it played on videos, it seems like the reason the game isn't short enough to be a filler is that 3/4 of the game is spent with people agonizing over what to grab from the dice pool on their turns.

I think imposing like a 20 or 30 second time limit per player turn would help move the game along immensely.

I also think thematically it makes sense as the thieves may be under pressure to divvy up the loot as quickly as possible, before the authorities catch on.

Has anyone tried a time limit? Or do turns not drag on as long as some videos imply?

Looking at the game mechanically it seems to look like it should play super quickly , like 20 minutes or so, and not require such AP to stretch it out to 40 minutes.

When we play tonight, if I see peoples turns taking over a minute, I will definitely suggest a time limit.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
I am hoping to play this for the first time tonight, and after reading some posts and watching it played on videos, it seems like the reason the game isn't short enough to be a filler is that 3/4 of the game is spent with people agonizing over what to grab from the dice pool on their turns.

I think imposing like a 20 or 30 second time limit per player turn would help move the game along immensely.

I also think thematically it makes sense as the thieves may be under pressure to divvy up the loot as quickly as possible, before the authorities catch on.

Has anyone tried a time limit? Or do turns not drag on as long as some videos imply?

Looking at the game mechanically it seems to look like it should play super quickly , like 20 minutes or so, and not require such AP to stretch it out to 40 minutes.

When we play tonight, if I see peoples turns taking over a minute, I will definitely suggest a time limit.

Thoughts?

The hardest part of the game is the iconography.

That's where people in my group are spending their time, trying to figure out what they could purchase would do. A timer won't help that.

If you are familiar with the iconography, that would be the best. Explain each of the 5 cards in the market before the divvying the loot phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. My plan is to clearly describe eacy available card as they are revealed, so when it comes time to divvy up loot, players should be able to grab very quickly.

I hope so any way. I am far from impatient, I just don't want to see a games length unnecessarily doubled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
You kids, get offa my lawn!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would propose you just play the game as it is. Rushing people to make decisions is probably going to annoy them rather than make the game a better experience, though it would certainly play faster.

Here's the thing - it's not a filler game. It just isn't. People who try to use it as a filler get disappointed that the game goes longer than they want for a filler. It's a light, interactive game with interesting decisions for the players to make and a fair degree of social deduction. It's a satisfying game, just not a filler.

We've found TM to be a great game to play on a lunch hour and after we've played, we talk about it all the way back to our desks - key plays in the game or what we might have done differently, given the opportunity, and of course, opportunity for the winner to gloat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got a couple plays in with no limits on turns, and I can see how allowing time for players is important. There are tough choices in the game.

I played 2 games with a different group of 5 players each time.

The first game took us over an hour and a half because a few of the players are heavily prone to analysis paralysis.
Every time it was their turn to snatch dice, it took them no less than 3 minutes to make a decision. In some cases even 5 minutes.
They had to go through every scenario in their mind of, if they took X gems, what would every other player do? How about if they took Y gems, or Z gems?
That game got rather tedious. 5 minute turns feels unacceptable to me, when you are literally agonizing over one action.

The 2nd game however went about 45 minutes. Players were decisive and did not agonize over every action like with the first set of players. There were hard decisions, and there were moments of analysis, but even they took under two minutes. In rare cases, someone had a 3 minute turn.

So I feel the game plays fine as is, UNLESS you are playing with AP prone players. In that case they need a timer of 2 minutes and I think that is more than fair. Otherwise they will double the lenght of this game.

I agree, it is not a filler and I am fine playing it for an hour or so. But it is tedious to be stretched out to excessive lengths due to AP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.