$15.00
$5.00
$20.00
Steve Kaylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The incapacitated side of the new Captain Cosmic reads thus:

Before removing your cards from the game, shuffle all constructs into a deck and put it under your character card. Whenever a construct is destroyed, Remove it from the game.

With additional incap effects utilizing the deck.

Do effects that target a deck allow this one to be targeted? I.e. Super Scientific Tachyon, Omnitron-X, visionary, etc? My gut reaction says no, but there is no precedent for a deck like this. Official ruling would be nice here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ensign53 wrote:
The incapacitated side of the new Captain Cosmic reads thus:

Before removing your cards from the game, shuffle all constructs into a deck and put it under your character card. Whenever a construct is destroyed, Remove it from the game.

With additional incap effects utilizing the deck.

Do effects that target a deck allow this one to be targeted? I.e. Super Scientific Tachyon, Omnitron-X, visionary, etc? My gut reaction says no, but there is no precedent for a deck like this. Official ruling would be nice here.

Sentinels is always very careful with their wording. If they call it a "deck" on the Captain Cosmic card then I cannot see any reason why an effect that targets a "deck" wouldn't affect it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Stępiński
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the same token, you cannot affect any hero character that is incapacitated, so there's another one to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new deck is under your character card and would seem to only be interacted with by the incap powers of Captain Cosmic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Two different angles:

1. with the wording it has it is a deck, and since Experiment only cares about whether or not the thing she selects is a deck, it should work.

2. Timeshift would then work, but the top card of the deck is Cosmic's character card, which doesn't work with #1 at all. So they clearly don't intend for you to be able to bring back CC with Timeshift. (no matter how thematic that might be)

I'd say no, and suggest that you treat it like the Ennead under the shrine, which isn't a deck.

So I'd argue that the cards cease being a deck when they go under his character card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Perry
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that it would not be affected. It is an incapacitated hero. Also things that get "put under a card" are usually indestructible unless it is specifically said how they are destroyed. On the same note though, knowing how careful they are with their wording for this game, they probably would have wrote specifically if these cards cannot be tampered with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cryosneasel wrote:
I would say that it would not be affected. It is an incapacitated hero. Also things that get "put under a card" are usually indestructible unless it is specifically said how they are destroyed. On the same note though, knowing how careful they are with their wording for this game, they probably would have wrote specifically if these cards cannot be tampered with.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the only limitation to "incapacitated heroes" that they are no longer considered a "target" and you cannot force them to gain/lose HP? I don't remember seeing any other limitation on interacting with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're still character cards, and you can do things like put Constructs and Links next to them when the text calls for such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kaylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Which circles it all back around to...is it considered a deck? lol.

Geoff: With the timeshift, I would imagine the "top" card is not the character card, since it sais put the deck under his character card, drawing a distinction between the deck and his card. The ennead isn't a deck, but this specifically is creating a deck.

There is a distinction between targets and character cards (a la Uncle Bastard), and though targets can be character cards and character cards can be targets, it does not mean that they are mutually necessary.

Rusty: His incapacitated powers interact with the deck, putting them into play and such, meaning that it isn't just a discard mechanic.

I don't know...like I said, I would love an official ruling, but I love hearing what other people have to think about it so I can house rule til then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantaskippy wrote:
I'd say no, and suggest that you treat it like the Ennead under the shrine, which isn't a deck.

But the cards under the shrine for the Ennead are never referred to as a "deck" whereas the cards under Captain Cosmic are specifically referred to as a "deck". Given the precision of SotM, I cannot imagine that this was accidental. If they didn't want it to be treated as a "deck" why would they have used this specific terminology? They are usually very precise with this kind of wording.

The card on top of the "deck" in this case is the "character card" and is referred to as such. The cards underneath are a "deck" (unlike the Ennead which just says "place cards under the shrine" and never refers to them as a deck). So in my reading of the rules as written, the cards under the character card are a deck and should be treated as such, including being effected by any powers/cards that refer to a "deck" as a potential target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cryosneasel wrote:

There is no "usually" with SotM! Cards that are currently indestructible are specifically referred to with that terminology. There is no state a card can be in that makes it "indestructible" without a specific wording on a card or in the rules to make it so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonvar wrote:
The new deck is under your character card and would seem to only be interacted with by the incap powers of Captain Cosmic.

That is a big assumption, and assumption is almost never a part of how to read SotM cards. Nothing states that this "deck" can only be interacted with by the Captain Cosmic character card. If this were the case they would have phrased it like the Ennead and said to "put the cards under the Character Card". They didn't, they specifically call it a "deck", and without other written rules to change that status I cannot see any justifiable reason to ignore its classification as a "deck" when resolving powers/card effects/etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ennead memebers aren't just cards in deck they are character cards and to me that is why it isn't listed as making a deck.
The wording on his incap make it pretty clear they are only interacted with by incap powers. The incap powers don't say play the top of the deck but specifically reference moving the top card under this card. The other part is that the Contructs are now removed from the game if destroyed instead of hitting a trash which to me also indicates this deck under Captain Cosmic interacts differently. Deck or not these are now cards under a card and would not be treated as a normal hero deck at that point. If it is treated as a normal deck you have an odd issue with cards that discard from top of decks since Captain Cosmic has no trash anymore to put his card since he is Incapped. Not to mention he is the top of that deck so you would be discarding his character card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.