GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,822 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Quartermaster General» Forums » General

Subject: Removing Alternate Histories Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm teaching Quartermaster General to a new player this evening, so I decided to remove all the Alternate Histories cards from the decks and replace all the "substitute" cards (well, except for Flexible Resources; we are keeping that one the event version). And as it turns out, this is actually not as easy as one would hope.

Most of the AH cards have a tiny little "QMAH" in the lower right hand corner of the text box, but that is easy to miss. And the non text based cards (Build/Battle/Deploy) don't seem to have any indicator at all that they are from AH. So pulling the AH cards out requires checking card lists and counting and the like.

This is not at all a huge issue, but for future expansions like this, it is probably better to make all the new cards more obviously new cards. A different color border or have a more obvious AH marker in a lower corner or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a file outlining the numbers of "basic" cards in the Alternate Histories expansion so that may be of help.

I think having a discreet QMAH logo is the best option. There are two schools of thought on this matter. 1. Make the expansion logo very noticeable, and 2. Make it very discreet. I personally think that option two is the best, because if you want to make it more noticeable, if is possible to write QMAH in marker on the cards (including the basic cards) to make them easier to spot. It is, however, very difficult to make an expansion indicator less visible. So I think they made the right choice.

If you don't want to write on the cards, you could alternatively sleeve the cards and mark the sleeves. There are lots of options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the issue is that the new Build Army/Navy/Battle/Deploy cards don't even have the "QMAH" on them. Which means you need to check a card list to know what cards to remove.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah other expansions for other games I just use a marker and make a colored dot in the right hand corner. It works perfectly for easy removal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Anastasia
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this is frustrating. I find the QMAH a little subtle for my taste but at least it's something. I hadn't even noticed that it's missing from the basic cards. Although (good news for Ian) this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back and leads to me buying another base set to leave un-expanded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Avallone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This was really my department, and I should have considered it more carefully.

In hindsight, Pete's idea is the best way to go: sacrifice a little real estate on the card face to make the expansions apparent.

Something for the deluxe edition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smolin wrote:
Something for the deluxe edition!

Yeah, something like a white with black border AH a quarter inch high in the lower right corner of the cards; looks like there would be plenty of space on all the cards.

Hey--you and Eric gonna make it to Council this year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.