Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping Cody might see this and weigh in on the decision to make scoring the way it is. Why not have the winner be the player with the highest total score? As in add together their points from both the long board and the short board and that player is the winner?

Perhaps with bonus points for those that win the best in each category?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
I'm hoping Cody might see this and weigh in on the decision to make scoring the way it is. Why not have the winner be the player with the highest total score? As in add together their points from both the long board and the short board and that player is the winner?

Perhaps with bonus points for those that win the best in each category?

Thanks

Hey Pauly Paul! Thanks for the Q! I tried lots of different score systems - including the one you mentioned above. The current system is the one that I feel provides the highest engagement and depth of strategy.

The primary issue I found with the total highest score version was that it felt very flat - tended to have a heavy 'runaway leader' feel to the game, and players weren't encouraged to use both board types as much.

If someone got a couple high-scoring waves, the other players often felt they were out of the competition, and would lose interest in playing. Also, players would stick to a single board type if they felt they could score highly using it.

Obviously there are a myriad of scoring options one could use in the game, but in the end I had to settle on the one I felt was the most fun

Does that sort of answer your question Pauly Paul?

Cheers, -Cody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Cody

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Charney
United States
Saint Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sasachaz wrote:
venrondua wrote:
...Why not have the winner be the player with the highest total score? ...

...Obviously there are a myriad of scoring options one could use in the game, but in the end I had to settle on the one I felt was the most fun

Hey Paul,
As a playtester for Tavarua...I can say that while I love the new scoring method and the additional layer of strategy it adds, we also had a blast playing to the highest total score...so, feel free to play around with the system.

Go Big or Go Home! But most of all Have Fun!!!
Happy Gaming!
Shawn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically. Most contests for surfing are highest 2 waves . So you could do that if you score multiple waves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Charney
United States
Saint Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwspiker wrote:
Thematically. Most contests for surfing are highest 2 waves . So you could do that if you score multiple waves.

When I said highest total score...I meant the total of the highest two waves for both short & long board (4 waves total).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.