7 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Escaped from Innsmouth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maelstrom UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to second the poster that said that your first play of any of the scenarios is the best. It certainly is.

I was disappointed to have Escape from Innsmouth bug out for me on my first play - though that particular issue has since been resolved.

However, the more complex scenarios you aren't very likely to win first time around. This doesn't matter to me - the fun's in playing out the story.

I certainly found Escape from Innsmouth tricky. You don't really have any breathing room to waste actions, and have a few tasks to complete in the right order, with characters with the right items in the right place at the right time. I really enjoyed my first play - but it took a few goes to get things into place.

Third time lucky.

But a slightly quirky ending...

The rules suggest that you only need to perform an evade check when performing an action in the same space as a monster (apart from the attack action), or when trying to move out of a space containing a monster.

Sometimes, interacting with an NPC on your space doesn't require spending an action. There's no action symbol in the dialogue options.

Yarn follows.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Whups, we're on the boat, ready to make good our escape, but where's Agent Craven? Back in the library, apparently oblivious to the loud fog bell we just rung.

I sent the grave digger to collect him, dodging the seething mob on the way. The agent tried to slip past the angry locals but was (sadly, if not inevitably) ripped to shreds. Poor guy.

Father Mateo was still hanging out in the cabin of the escape boat with the captain. They just been joined by a Deep One, and a Child of Dagon(for good measure).

Thinking I was pretty done-for I pressed to interact with the boat's captain, and told him to leave. None of the dialogue options had the action symbol so we sped off with our two monstrous guests in the cabin; the silhouette of poor, insane, wounded William against the flames receding into the fog.

Presumably the Deep One and Child of Dagon were just as keen to leave Innsmouth as Father Mateo was, so didn't interfere for the rest of the journey.

A win's a win... right?

Well maybe. But, Father Mateo was also insane, and would only consider himself victorious if another investigator was wounded or insane. William was both of these things, but was now 'eliminated'. Misery loves company, but Father Mateo was alone of the boat.

With nothing to suggest than an eliminated investigator loses their wounded or insane status...

...I chalked this up as a win. A hollow, uncertain, horrible - very Lovecraftian - victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I tried a senario yesterday solo and lost a crazy amout of actions because i didnt know if some of the talking or looking in your journal took an action...i will try later today with the right rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maelstrom UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mordai wrote:
I tried a senario yesterday solo and lost a crazy amout of actions because i didnt know if some of the talking or looking in your journal took an action...i will try later today with the right rules...

I'm pretty sure that looking in the journal is a 'free' action for the person who has it. No action symbol after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MaelstromUK wrote:
mordai wrote:

I'm pretty sure that looking in the journal is a 'free' action for the person who has it. No action symbol after all.

Looking at it in the inventory is free, but when you do it says click here with action symbol to READ the journal. IIRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maelstrom UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
MaelstromUK wrote:
mordai wrote:

Looking at it in the inventory is free, but when you do it says click here with action symbol to READ the journal. IIRC.

Nope, just checked in the app and 'compile evidence' on the old journal has no action symbol. Maybe this changed in an update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MaelstromUK wrote:
oldschoolgamr wrote:
MaelstromUK wrote:
mordai wrote:

Nope, just checked in the app and 'compile evidence' on the old journal has no action symbol. Maybe this changed in an update.

Shoot - just realized you are referring to the second scenario - I was thinking of the third... Sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I just finished playing Escape from Innsmouth for the first time. I played it solo with 2 investigators and the game annihilated me completely! I like this scenario, it is quite different from Cycle of Eternity. I am going to play Innsmouth again tomorrow and hopefully I will have better lucks in the second go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.