Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Cox
Australia
Umina Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
When you withdraw (either voluntary or mandatory) to your chosen position (abiding by the separation rules), what is your blocks facing at that chosen position i.e. how do you decide on your blocks front and rear area at that chosen position?

Is it that the block is in a sense just moving "backwards" when it is withdrawing, so that when it arrives at the chosen position, whatever originally was the blocks "front edge" is still its "front edge" and that determines where its front area has to be?

Or, as the general Movement rules state 'You choose a block’s front and rear at the end of its move'. Withdrawal is a type of movement, so can you choose the blocks front and rear area after arriving at the chosen position after withdrawal.

Also, the Withdrawal rules state that 'If a withdrawing block enters a position adjacent to an enemy block, it must end its move there' (subject to some caveats). That being the case, when you are forced to stop at a position adjacent to an enemy block, are you then still able to choose your blocks front and rear area as stated by the general Movement rule above?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
59 4 76(!!) 14 7 52
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgeekagain wrote:
Or, as the general Movement rules state 'You choose a block’s front and rear at the end of its move'. Withdrawal is a type of movement, so can you choose the blocks front and rear area after arriving at the chosen position after withdrawal.
This is the operative rule; there are no specified restrictions on final facing with Withdrawal moves (I think Attack moves are the only ones that have such).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there has to be some reason I have held onto my copy of this game without ever actually playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
there has to be some reason I have held onto my copy of this game without ever actually playing it.

Because it looks like a period piece game

I've only tried a couple solo learning forays... My session attention span seems to be about 90mins before family or work life interrupts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Cox
Australia
Umina Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
lomn wrote:
This is the operative rule; there are no specified restrictions on final facing with Withdrawal moves (I think Attack moves are the only ones that have such).

Thanks for the reply. The rules of this game are difficult to get down pat. We have played 2 days in a row and are still finding situations on the map that throw up nuances.

As you say, and having looked again at the rule book, it looks as if it is only Attack moves that have a specified restriction.

If I understand it correctly now, then at the end of any Withdrawal, Reinforcement or March move a block may change its facing.

However, with Attack moves then Attack Procedure, Rule 7. Final Advance (p10) states: 'Push your attacking blocks the rest of the way forward to the positions they are attacking. The attacking blocks must be fronted so that their rear area is the last area they crossed.'

Thus a blocks movement has ended here at the defence position and cannot change its facing due to the above specified restriction. Also, immediately after any combat, if the attacker wins, he cannot change his facing at a defence position, as changing facing only happens at the end of movement and the attacker has already had their movement.

The game is a masterpiece, so different to anything else that I own, but it is taking a long time for everything to sink in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.