Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Eagle Rock
California
flag msg tools
mb
Looks like a cool game. I have 3 other games by VPG, and it is one of my favorite game companies

But why is DotZ 3 selling for $80? Put differently, are people paying $80 to buy it?

Personally, I refuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, there's an incredible amount of game and content in here. Sure, I wish it was cheaper but I also feel that it's worth every penny. I have dozens of $40 games that I rarely play or think about, but Zeds is hitting the table and is on my mind.

It's absolutely one of the best solo games I've ever played, as well as one of the best (if not the best) States of Siege games. I'm also looking forward to playing it co-op and discovering that side of Dawn of the Zeds as well.

In summary, it's one of my best game purchases to date, and one of my favorite game companies.

My suggestion is to watch some of the excellent play through videos. In my case, they helped make up my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Martin
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played second edition DotZ 40 times (according to recorded games), and third edition 12 times since I have acquired it, and will certainly play it more. Do I have any regrets? No. Is it worth $80? To me, yes. To you, well, only you can decide that.

(Actually I paid more than $80 as I sprung for the laser cut counters when I backed the KS, but it's still worth it to me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agreed with everyone else! For me it's worth it. It's a challenging and clever game, with great cinematic feel, tons of content and modes to play, from a fairly simple family game to a complex, strategic well designed solo, co-op AND 1 vs many game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frank gallagher
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely worth it to me. If you want a solo game with heavy theme and moderate to heavy depth, and don't want to spend hours trying to figure out the AI rules for the "opponent", I don't think you can do better than DoZ3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DotZ 3rd Ed was not printed in-house like most of their games. It was pruned by an outsourced board game manufacturer and as such has much higher quality produced components with a real mounted board, glossy paper saddle-stitched rulebooks (6 booklets!) and sturdy telecopying game box(!). The only lower quality component (to some) are that counter sheets are die-cut instead of laser-cut. In-house laser-cut counters are available at an additional cost though if you really want them.

That's the reason why DotZ 3rd Ed is more expensive. As for if it's worth $80+shipping, only you can determine the value and if you will like it. This is my first VPG game and I stayed away from zombie games and from war-games. But the high praise for its solo play and people recommending it as one of the best State of Siege games (representative of VPG wargames), I had to pick it up and I'm glad I did. Plus being able to pick it up for a sightly lower KS price helped; I really don't know if I would have paid $80 +shipping for it--not because it wouldn't be worth it, but it's a high price for a single game.

Download the rules and watch the videos to see if it's something you'll play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Swack
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
Since you have 3 other VPG games, you didn't think those were a little pricey when compared to other more popular/wider appear games for the same amount of components and content?

Solitaire and war games are a niche in small market, so I would always expect to pay a little more since they don't get the distribution numbers that more popular games get. However, psychologically since they tried to make 3rd addition appeal to a wider audience by adding in additional player counts, versus mode, etc it's hard to not make a comparison to those other more popular games. I think had they actually left it a pure 1 player game, it would have better justified the higher cost (I backed the kickstarter, but if I was buying it now). There must be an economics term for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hunter
Canada
Red Deer
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zeds is absolutely worth every penny. I own hundreds of games and Zeds 3rd edition honestly owns a special place in my collection. It's pure quality both in the amount of gameplay in this box (tons!) and production. Everything about this oozes quality. Highly recommended and I'd slam down the same amount of money tomorrow to buy this one if I had to do it again. I can't say that about many games that I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing about this game is that it has undergone like, nuclear levels of playtesting. I don't know this first hand, but I've seen examples of conversation that must be taking place behind the scenes by the minds that put it all together.

And these minds don't mess around, they take their jobs very seriously (that much I do know -- I've seen it).

I'm willing to pay a lot for a game with that kind of brainpower behind it. Because you can be sure that, 3 plays in, you won't be going.. "But why didn't they think of this or that?" You won't have the time for it. You'll have too many zeds creeping towards your town center, and you'll have too many viable options at your finger tips to deal with them. You'll have too much awesome game laid out before you, to ever second guess the effort and the time and the thought that went into making it.

And aren't those the most important ingredients to any great game? Even more important than the wood and plastic and paper that it takes to make them? I think so, anyways.

I'll never second guess VPG's pricing model, as long as they keep putting out these honed-to-perfection games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.