Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Success rate with more than six Space Marines? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've seen solo success rate estimates between 25% and 44%. Any estimates on how it is playing with more than six Space Marines?

I've played now a few games, two solo, three with friends. Solos went well, I got into the last room. The group plays have been pretty brutal.

In our last game with 3 players total and 12 Space Marines we got steamrolled by a swarm merging from four to ten in the last round, which killed off four Marines. We followed the rule where a swarm which already attacked doesn't attack again.

Void Lock for 3 or 6 players with 12 Space Marines calls for 5 and 3 spawns at a time, so due to blip piles with only 9 cards (or less) we traveled in a round or two, and had no time to clear the floor of Genestealers.

Thinking of the odds, it looks like the game doesn't scale too well when there are more than six Marines in the formation: each round we spawn 6-11 Genestealers, and even with the more powerful attacks it is unlikely we could maintain such a high killing pace.

Maybe we are overlooking some obvious tactic, or should we just learn2play?

Love the game, by the way. I've already gotten three friends of mine interested in it and board games in general, and they are hardcore video and computer game nerds like me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc
msg tools
Not sure about the rate with more than 6 marines. But there is a comprehensive guide in the files section that will boost your win percentage considerably. Like over 60%. The author wins 9/10 games but he has played a ton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
For my uncle. RIP, 1941-2017. You are dearly missed.
mbmbmb
I think playing the 2P setup solo works really well.

My 1P setup stats are 9 wins in 36 attempts (25%).

But my 2P setup stats are 7 wins in only 11 attempts (64%).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
2P is the easiest setup. Your spawns only get 1 more genestealer in the major spawn, and in exchange you get one more team. With 4 teams, it is easier to balance the attack, movement and support. And last but not least, every 1C location is beneficial to the marines, while 1B and 1A can be very punishing.
The difficulty playing solo with 3 teams depends a lot on the teams you draw, playing more teams will result in a more consistent difficulty. You need to learn to coordinate your actions with the rest of players.
Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As far as I can tell, all the replies thus far have been up to six marines, or are you playing solo or two player with more than six marines?

I'm specifically interested in how the game scales with more than six.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yes, when I said two players I meant with 4 teams (8 marines). I don't think it makes a big difference whether you pilot every team or have a partner, as long as both of you have the same level of experience.

I'd say the game scales this way: if you play 6 marines in any combination of purple + gray + blue / yellow / green, it's significantly easier than 8 marines. On the other hand, if you draw blue + green + red, you'll have a much harder time than any other 8 marines. It depends on the teams that get excluded.
12 marines is standard difficulty, I'd say, 8 is easy and 6 depends on the teams: could be very hard or a cake walk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On average, the game is more punishing with 6 marines than with 8, 10 or 12, if that's the info you're looking for.
Edit: assuming you know the game inside out, of course. Pulling a victory out of luck will be more probable playing 6 marines (get out of the void lock, draw and use the Teleportarium, enter the Chapel, then roll a zero in the Toxin pumping station, while playing Purple Gray and Blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ghost CoD wrote:
On average, the game is more punishing with 6 marines than with 8, 10 or 12, if that's the info you're looking for.

Yes, thank you.

So seems like we just need to learn to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of those games that strongly rewards careful risk management, I.e. Analyzing all possible scenarios several moves ahead as well as carefully weighing the odds and implications of each, and your general facility with probability and risk management. It also severely punishes rushing and a non-analytical play style. It is essentially an awesome puzzle about systematically optimizing probabilities in your favor. If you invest time in that type of analysis, your game may take many hours, but your win rate will be 90% (see the aforementioned guide). If you rush, your win rate will be 10%. That is why there are people on these forums saying that the game is too hard, and others saying it is too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.