Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to share my latest effort.

Preview of a single character reference:

Preview of bases reference:

File Page Link

Printing Instructions
I recommend printing at the highest scaling your printer margins allow for to get the best readability. In my testing this has been roughly around 105%.

If space and printing costs aren't a concern for you, you may wish to print large single sheet references, one for each character. To do this, use Adobe Reader to open the pdf and zoom in on a single character's reference box until it is the only thing in view. Then choose Print -> Pages to Print -> More Options -> Current View and scale the document to your liking. A scale of roughly 135% will fill an entire letter sized page in landscape.

Version History
v1.1 - Fixed Miska's Scorched Earth, and some minor text spacing issues
v1 - Initial release
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
msg tools
Lovely! I hope you're planning on doing a complete set of sixteen!

I suggest consolidating the characters into a single document. I have a double-sided printer, and it's more awkward to produce a double-sided page if the pages are in separate files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Devet wrote:
Lovely! I hope you're planning on doing a complete set of sixteen!
I most certainly am! My intention is that this initial release bring to light any quirks with the document. Then, once the templating is solid, it's relatively simple to import all the characters.

Devet wrote:
I suggest consolidating the characters into a single document. I have a double-sided printer, and it's more awkward to produce a double-sided page if the pages are in separate files.
Great idea, kicking myself for not doing that in the first place haha. Will update once I'm back home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
msg tools
Couple more remarks:

First, I would suggest sorting the Normals by Speed instead of alphabetically. The Normals are essentially divided into four groups: Block, Focus/Sweep, Spike/Dive, and Assault/Cross/Grasp. See "Normal Attacks" (http://www.level99games.com/homepage/strategy-corner/124-exc...) on the Level 99 blog. I don't think it matters much for the characters' Special Attacks, but for the Normal Attacks I would definitely suggest the change.

Second, although I like the "plus" signs for the Continuous Boosts, I wouldn't recommend overflowing the border, because that precludes using the outside border as a "cut" line for making reference cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Devet wrote:
First, I would suggest sorting the Normals by Speed instead of alphabetically. The Normals are essentially divided into four groups: Block, Focus/Sweep, Spike/Dive, and Assault/Cross/Grasp. See "Normal Attacks" (http://www.level99games.com/homepage/strategy-corner/124-exc...) on the Level 99 blog. I don't think it matters much for the characters' Special Attacks, but for the Normal Attacks I would definitely suggest the change.

I'm so torn on this. It's an attractive and logical sorting method, especially because the game is designed with it as a guideline, like your link describes. However, what I'm worried about is that (ramblings ahead):

- It may lose some of its 'referential usefulness', especially for newer players. I think most players (especially newbies) think of Attacks first in terms of their name, then in terms of their stats/effects/'place in the game'. Example: a player remembers he saw a Dive in his Opponent's hand earlier which still hasn't been played. He may wonder, 'what does Dive do again?' Alphabetically, he can scan the sheet towards the middle-top for 'D' to quickly find it. This is rather than having to remember its Speed in order to mentally place it on the list. I know that seems insignificant, but I think its pretty important in terms of usability.
- It's inexplicably inconsistent with the Character references, which is kind of weird.

I like that it gives at a quick glance which Normals beat your character's Specials/Ultras (in terms of Speed), which is probably the most important consideration when using them.

But again, torn, would like to hear more thoughts!

Devet wrote:
Second, although I like the "plus" signs for the Continuous Boosts, I wouldn't recommend overflowing the border, because that precludes using the outside border as a "cut" line for making reference cards.

Yeah, I was having lots of trouble placing it so its in a consistent spot AND you can still see at a glance how many Continuous Boosts a character has. I tried cutting out a sheet and while it is still clear which ones are Continuous, it looks mighty weird with half the symbol chopped off. Maybe moving it over to the top-left of the text box, or just shifting it left until inside the line, would do the trick. I'll play with it.

Thanks for all the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
msg tools
Well, think about it this way - what's the main use-case for a move-reference card? Almost certainly, the answer is: planning whether to Strike, or how to defend against a Strike. In those situations, an overriding considerations are "what cards might the opponent play that are faster than my own cards" and "what cards might the opponent play that are slower than my own cards but can trade favourably with my cards?"

By contrast, it's relatively uncommon to need to look up a Normal by its name. When I teach first-time players, whenever I talk about a specific Normal attack (i.e. "be aware of Spike"), I usually end up mentioning the speed of the attack anyway, because that's such an important part of the context.

Or to look at it another way, any experienced player is already going to be thinking about attacks in those terms, and new players should be encouraged to think in those terms - either way, it's more useful to sort the Normals in order of Speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You raise some good points. After hearing your considerations and having played a few matches while using the references, it's looking more and more like the in-game utility of ordering by Speed should not be ignored.

Aside from straight up reformatting it, I'm also open to the possibility of including two versions of the Bases reference, one ordered by Name and one by Speed, on pages 2 and 3 of the document (so people can print whichever they prefer).

Meanwhile, the whole exercise also begs the question, "why not order character attacks by Speed as well?". Character attack names are unique and therefore inherently more novel, so looking them up by name would probably happen far more often. Plus, there are fewer total attacks to manually scan for any particular stat. These two things support what you say about Speed-ordering not mattering much for character moves. Still, it's an option.

Before going whichever direction with this, I'd like to hear how players of the game at large feel the references should be executed with a poll:
Poll
1. How should Normal Attacks be sorted on the reference sheet?
By Name
By Speed
Both (one version on page 2, one on 3, to give people choice)
2. How should Character Attacks be sorted on the reference sheets?
By Name
By Speed
      6 answers
Poll created by pvtparts

Once these changes are applied, including the other stuff Devet has mentioned and some other small tweaks, I hope to be near a point where the document is solid enough to be ported to all characters.

That said, I have two more questions:
1. Is the font size of the attack abilities too small?
2. Does the ordering of Armor and Guard make sense? (I followed the cards, but some may find it more natural to have guard first)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chances promo characters getting some love?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can send me pictures or info on Skull Man's cards (I don't own any promos), then I can do a set for the promo characters. Stats on the other two I can get from irulesmost's Excel sheets.

By the way, click the colour link to check out my reference sheets for all 16 characters! A small update will be coming tomorrow to fix Miska's Scorched Earth description (doesn't say Hit), but other than that they are complete.

Also, black and white versions will be coming soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pvtparts wrote:
If you can send me pictures or info on Skull Man's cards (I don't own any promos), then I can do a set for the promo characters. Stats on the other two I can get from irulesmost's Excel sheets.

I can get it for you! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://imgur.com/a/5WzMX - Here you go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I'll hope to get those together this weekend.

Also, the mistake on Miska's Scorched Earth has now been fixed. As far as I can tell, the references are ready for printing. Please let me know of any errors.

In terms of printing, I recommend printing at the highest scaling your printer margins allow for to get the best readability. In my testing this has been roughly around 105%.

If space and printing costs aren't a concern for you, you may wish to print large single sheet references, one for each character. To do this, use Adobe Reader to open the pdf and zoom in on a single character's reference box until it is the only thing in view. Then choose Print -> Pages to Print -> More Options -> Current View and scale the document to your liking. A scale of roughly 135% will fill an entire letter sized page in landscape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black and white friendly versions are now available. As always, please let me know of any mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick update: single page character references are now available. Much easier to read but less portable. Find them on the file page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.