Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Standalone 2 Hero Quest #5: The Siege rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Siege
I really liked the aspect of being able to freely move between locations that I had done with The Wiles of Utgard-Loki, but felt the explore action of that one felt a little bit artificial. Since I have yet to make a quest that has a tower defense aspect, I decided to have the tower defense require you to move between actions to defend different parts of your stronghold, while the exploration feels less artificial because you are using it to shore up the location. This one is themed based on the 4th book of the Guardians of Ga’Hoole series, which is a series I read as a kid about anthropomorphic owls.

Note that you must travel to all 3 locations by the end of the 3rd round or you automatically lose. Also, there are not enough progress tokens that came with the game for this quest’s setup, so use a suitable substitute. Finally, there is a really rare chance that if you don’t defeat enough enemies and draw a dungeon card that spawns an enemy, you might not have enough enemies left in the deck to spawn (in which case spawn as much as you can). The die roll for the red peril effect was to make the ending a little less anticlimactic, as otherwise if it is a set value of progress decrease it is possible to realize you have a guaranteed victory 2 rounds ahead.

Like with most of my quests I see no reason this can’t be played with more than 2, although I have only playtested it with 2.

Heroes: Bright Wizard (as Soren) and Waywatcher (as Gylfie)

Setup:
Enemies: Shuffle together the standard version of the following enemies: Gigantic Spider, Gutter Runners, Clan Rat, Giant Bat, Goblin Warriors, Night Goblin Archers, and Rat Swarm, along with the elite Giant Bat and Rat Swarm (this should be all non-boss enemies with 1 attack except for Warlock Engineer). Place Odious Grump into the nemesis lair; he spawns through peril effects.
Locations: Place a marker on Crumbling Bridge as a “current location marker”. Place the following location cards in clockwise order from Crumbling Bridge: Fungal Patch, Throng of Webs (the locations wrap around, so Crumbling Bridge is clockwise of Throng of Webs). Place 12 progress tokens on each location. For the non-starting locations, put a number of enemies underneath each of these locations equal to the sum of the engaged and shadow enemies normally spawned when traveling there.
Gear and Dungeon Deck: Shuffle 12 open gear cards together. Shuffle 12 open dungeon cards together.
Note: It is impossible to win if you have not traveled to all 3 locations by the end of round 3.

“For years The Pure Ones, led by the terrifying masked owl Metal Beak, have been subjugating the southern forests, discriminating against all owls not of the genus Tyto. Now with their forces stronger than ever, they turn their sights to conquer the capital of the owl world itself, the Tree of Ga’Hoole! Penned in their great tree from the siege attack, things look grim for the guardians of Ga’Hoole. Yet the great warrior Ezylryb has devised a cunning plan, if only The Pure Ones can be staved off for long enough…”

Special Rules:
Locations can have more progress tokens on them than their listed value.

Progress tokens are not required to travel. When traveling, the party may travel either clockwise or counterclockwise from their current location, moving the current location marker accordingly. Heal all enemies in the shadows in the old location to full health and place them underneath the old location rather than discarding them. Do not spawn enemies for the new location. Instead, take all enemies underneath the new location and place them face down in the shadows.

At the end of each Location Phase, remove progress tokens from each location equal to the sum of the attack of all monsters underneath that location (so all locations except the heroes’ current location may lose progress in this way).

Peril Track: Starting SpaceGreenBlueGreenBlueGreen - Red
Peril Track Effects:
Green: “Unsatisfied with the efforts of his rank and file owls, Metal Beak has come to direct the besiegement of Ga’Hoole himself!” Spawn Odious Grump, or if he is not in the nemesis lair remove 4 progress tokens from his location.
Blue: “Just when it looks like things have relented, another wave of owls assaults the great tree.” Place an enemy underneath all locations besides the current location.
Red: “The roots of the Tree of Ga’Hoole tremble. Ezlryb’s scheme is almost completed, but the Pure Ones take the trembling to be a sign of weakness, and launch another offensive in response.” Roll 3 enemy dice for each location. For each attack symbol remove 1 progress, and for each nemesis, remove 2. If all locations still have progress tokens, the heroes have fended off the siege!

Victory Condition
: If the heroes fend off the siege, resolve “Reward”.
Reward: Surprise! Ezylryb’s tunnel finally completed, the guardians of Ga’Hoole stream out from the underground, to ambush the Pure Ones in a pincer attack! Completely caught off guard, the Pure Ones’ exposed flank quickly falls into disarray, until only Metal Beak himself stands in the path of the onrushing guardians. With a great cry Soren rams his flaming branch into the mask of Metal Beak, only to recoil in horror at what lied underneath. “Surprise, little brother!” Metal Beak takes advantage of Soren’s pause to bid a hasty retreat. As he soars away into the smoky night, he screeches “Don’t think this is the last of me!”

Loss Condition: If any location ever has 0 progress tokens, or if all heroes are defeated, resolve “Penalty”.
Penalty: The great Tree of Ga’Hoole creaks and groans as it begins to topple over from the onslaught. In a panic, the owls of Ga’Hoole stream out of its entrances, only to be picked off one by one by Metal Beak’s forces waiting outside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc
msg tools
Thumbs up. Thanks for this. Love this game and any effort to add replay value is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of traveling around the location like a map. Neat mechanism! One question:

Quote:
Heal all enemies in the shadows in the old location to full health and place them underneath the old location rather than discarding them.

I presume that enemies engaged when the party travels will travel with the party as normal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cafin8d wrote:
I love the idea of traveling around the location like a map. Neat mechanism! One question:

Quote:
Heal all enemies in the shadows in the old location to full health and place them underneath the old location rather than discarding them.

I presume that enemies engaged when the party travels will travel with the party as normal?

Yes that is correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin Hassar
France
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been away for some time but here are the quest cards:

• [+] Dice rolls
Aske Ravn Jakobsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Kin Hassar.

If I just copy/paste those quest cards into word, and print, would they then automatically have the correct size?

Thumbs up to Little Chandler for nice work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.