GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,080 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Need help finding the name of a game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garry Klooesterman
msg tools
Hi.

I heard there was an identify a game section but didn't seem to find it so if this is in the wrong spot, please let me know.

I am trying to find the name of a card game from the early 90s. I saw it in a game store between 93 and 95. It was a single deck in a larger box. Bigger than magic cards etc. I want to say it was called Odyssey but nothing is coming up when I google that.

I don't have much else to go on except that for some reason I remember an octopus on the box but I could be way off. It was not a kids game. There was also some sort of contest or puzzle to solve related to the game. It looked neat and I kick myself for not buying it. lol

If anyone can help, that would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octopus? ...or maybe a dragon?

Tichu

And welcome to BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame/page/1?sort=title... is a list of all card games published between 1980 and 1995 (not including expansions). On page 8 are the games that start with O. You could also resort this by rank.

In short, you've not given us lots of (searchable) detail to work with. You can look through the thumbnail pictures of those games above and see if something looks right. You could also try an advanced search of your own devising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Klooesterman
msg tools
Thanks for the replies so far.

Hmm this is going to be harder than I thought.

I know I don't have much to go on. Sorry. I did a search and looked through the different games but nothing seemed right.

I remember there was a real life contest to be won within the game. Like for the first (or first so many) to figure out the answer/riddle/whatever.

Of course there really isn't a search option for that. lol

I'll keep looking. And please keep suggesting if you think you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Hmm. There were definitely some puzzles that had contests like that, but very few games that I can think of. In fact the only ones I can think of are these:

Treasure of the Silver Dragon

Treasure of Unicorn Gold

One of those could have still been on a shelf in the 90s, but neither is a card game, neither has a title anything like "Odyssey," and neither has an octopus on the cover. So it is likely something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And of course there were a lot more such contests released as books or other things that definitely aren't games.

I found one that did have a deck of cards as well as a book: The Key to the Kingdom. (See http://www.treasureclub.net/publichunts/keytothekingdom/inde...). It was published in 1992. Of course the title and cover don't match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Turner
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a card game called Wyvern. It didn't have a contest but it did have rare silver and gold cards that could be sent in for real cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Ginley
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Bicycle Squid cards...maybe they can assist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmb
If you remember, what region of the world were you in when you saw this game?

Also, whether you were in a retail store (Toys R Us for example), hobby store, etc. could help members help identify this game.

Welcome to BGG! Hope you can find this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overpower??

Defunct CCG with Marvel (Doc Oc?) theming?
Was released in '95 so there may have been some introductory contest attached.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Klooesterman
msg tools
It was in a store in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Kind of like Mind Games and not a large box store.

Also, it was not a CCG. It was a box larger than a normal deck of cards and I'm pretty sure the cards were larger too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/22
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did a couple of google searches and came up with Fighting Fantasy Battle Cards? 1993, has fantasy theme and puzzles on the cards. Looks like you could have sent in certain cards to 'win' other cards...?

Related web link: https://scootergames.wordpress.com/2014/11/17/battle-cards-1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.