Fields of Green» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2-players ... Flipping new cards after both players take a turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I don't understand why a new card isn't flipped after each player takes an action ...

Instead the rulebook says to only put out new cards after both players have taken an action. This means player 1 will have 6 cards to choose from, and player 2 will have 5 cards to choose from each turn in a given round.

I understand that this will balance out since there are 4 rounds, and first player will alternate from round to round, but I'm still having a hard time seeing why we shouldn't just re-fill after each turn.

Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It gives the player flipping first an advantage for that round. They do not have to worry about flipping over a card that the 2nd player will get a chance to take. Also they will be the first to Choose the 2 new cards that get flipped over after the replacement phase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Dnasearchr wrote:
It gives the player flipping first an advantage for that round. They do not have to worry about flipping over a card that the 2nd player will get a chance to take. Also they will be the first to Choose the 2 new cards that get flipped over after the replacement phase

Well ya, I know that. But that's my point,why should the first player have this advantage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm not yet convinced of this 2 player draft variant. I'll se if I like it when playing it.

If not, you can just draw your hands and pass them along. It also works in a two player games. And in fact I find it more strategic as you know what you are letting to your opponent and hope to get back some cards in particular, which add tension.

Anyway we will see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
Dnasearchr wrote:

Well ya, I know that. But that's my point,why should the first player have this advantage?

The thought process behind that rule was that you want 'going first' to matter. If you reveal a new card after another one is taken, there's a high chance a card you may need will be revealed in the other player's turn. With the existing rules each player is guaranteed to pick first during 2 of the rounds, no matter what.

What is not apparent when you first read the rules, is that the player going second also has an advantage - he chooses what cards to add to the pool, last. This means that he has a higher level of control on what will appear during the round - he may for example choose location cards that he knows the other player doesn't need. Of course that's tricky because the first player will always choose before him. This creates a nice tension and makes choosing your cards for the round very important.

Also, the 2 most important rounds in the game, one could argue are the 1st and the last. In the first one you want to start your engine in the best possible way while in the last round you want to maximize your points and get the best buildings or missing parts of your engine. The way the rules are set up, the same player won't be first in both of those rounds. If someone goes first in the 1st round, he will go second in the 4th one (and vice versa).

I hope the above have made things a little bit clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
avyssaleos wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:
Dnasearchr wrote:

The thought process behind that rule was that you want 'going first' to matter. If you reveal a new card after another one is taken, there's a high chance a card you may need will be revealed in the other player's turn. With the existing rules each player is guaranteed to pick first during 2 of the rounds, no matter what.

What is not apparent when you first read the rules, is that the player going second also has an advantage - he chooses what cards to add to the pool, last. This means that he has a higher level of control on what will appear during the round - he may for example choose location cards that he knows the other player doesn't need. Of course that's tricky because the first player will always choose before him. This creates a nice tension and makes choosing your cards for the round very important.

Also, the 2 most important rounds in the game, one could argue are the 1st and the last. In the first one you want to start your engine in the best possible way while in the last round you want to maximize your points and get the best buildings or missing parts of your engine. The way the rules are set up, the same player won't be first in both of those rounds. If someone goes first in the 1st round, he will go second in the 4th one (and vice versa).

Thank you sir. It did make things clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
avyssaleos wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:
Dnasearchr wrote:

I now see the point of doing so too. I was forgetting about the drawing card phase where you choose your hand, and thus being the last player to do so, you can choose according to what the other player drawn, and like you said, this may be carda you know doesn't seem to help the other player. Thanks for chiming in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.