Herbaceous» Forums » Rules

Subject: Glass Jar Bonus Cards scoring question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyson Gajewski

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
So I printed out the PnP of the game today and have been playing around a bit with the solo game and came across an issue of how the numbered bonus cards can be played and scored in the glass jar.

Can you place a second matching number card into the jar as one of the three random cards? Does it score its face value bonus points in addition to being part of the three random cards?

Example:
Placed a 1,2&3 in jar with a sage and a bay but can I place a secondary #1 Mint as the third random card? How does it all score? Is it 1 point as the Mint bonus or 2 as the third card? Can it even be played in the jar if I play the Mint, Chive, Thyme set? Is it any 3 standard herbs and any number of bonus cards (Meaning I could put a Bay Sage and Dill as the 3 random cards for 6 points and the first 1,2,3 set for their 6 points and the 5 point bun plus any additional bonus cards with their point values being added)? What would happen if a player managed to get a pair of each of the bonus numbered cards into their glass jar?

I've searched through the rulebook but I'm still not entirely sure.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Baraf
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tyson,

Thrilled you are playing and happy to answer your questions.

Glass Jar can be filled with ANY 3 herbs. It can be normal herbs (dill, saffron, bay, etc) and/or special herbs (mint, chives, thyme).

The Glass Jar can have all different herbs, all same, or anything in between. There is no restriction except that NO MORE THAN 3 herbs may be potted. You can pot one, you can pot 2.

Each card (herb), regardless of type, is worth 2 points. Thus, just with herbs, you can 0 (none), 2 (1 herb), 4 (2 herbs), or 6 (3 herbs) points.

Then, in addition, you also get the total bonus points (top of the special herbs in a green circle) added. This can be 0 (no special herbs), 1 (1 mint, others are normal), all the way up to 9 points (you potted all 3 Thyme cards).

If you happen to be the first player to pot all special herbs at once, the mint, the chives, the thyme, you also get the Herb Bun worth 5 points.

Least a potted Glass Jar is worth is 2 points (1 non-special herb), most without the bun is 15 (3 Thyme worth 6+ bonus of 9 points) or max with bun of 17 (mint, chive, thyme worth 6+ bonus of 6 points + 5 bun points)

Does that clear it all up?
~Ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Gajewski

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ahh, I see! I completely misinterpreted the rules. I think that it was the symbology on the bottom of the Glass Jar card that was confusing me the most. The image of three cards with the plus sign and then the question mark in the same circle as the bonus points made me think it was three standard herbs in addition to any bonus point herbs. The score track along the bottom also reinforced this notion with the point track for the three cards being followed once again by a plus sign and the statement of adding special herb bonus points.
Thank you for the rule explanation and clarifying that it is three, and only three, herbs that can fit into the jar and that amoungst those three if any have point values the points are added to the total herb count points of the jar.
As a Kickstarter backer, a big thank you for the quick reply. Can't wait to get my hands on the finished set next Spring!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.