$30.00
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungary has been busy:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/08/hungary-build-border-f...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that Mexico can afford this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
TheChin! wrote:

Not a real worry.

6' chainlink fence runs $35 a foot with professional installation.

Double that cost. Figure 2000 miles of border. Looking at chump change. 700 million and change. The Clinton Foundation could foot the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

Not a real worry.

Double that cost. Figure 2000 miles of border. Looking at chump change. 700 million and change. The Clinton Foundation could foot the bill.

Could do it for way less if you just hired some dudes from out in front of Home Depot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

Not a real worry.

fences are cheap. Even good tall ones. Just a casual read of some of the history of the cattle business in the American West (Texas up through Montana) will stagger you once you understand the scope of how much fence was actually installed, cheaply and efficiently, by wagon and sledge. The first ranch that was fenced in required 150 miles of barbed wire. 150 miles is the rough equivalent of a shit ton. And that ranch was just an experiment to see if the stuff worked. Which it did, just ask any Trenchfoot from WWI.

This is why, to me anyway, the idea that fencing off the border between America and Mexico being cast as too expensive or impractical is just dumb. It's cheap and fences work really, really good. Even big long ones. We can build that fence easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
For BJ.....
mb
DWTripp wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

Not a real worry.

fences are cheap. Even good tall ones. Just a casual read of some of the history of the cattle business in the American West (Texas up through Montana) will stagger you once you understand the scope of how much fence was actually installed, cheaply and efficiently, by wagon and sledge. The first ranch that was fenced in required 150 miles of barbed wire. 150 miles is the rough equivalent of a shit ton. And that ranch was just an experiment to see if the stuff worked. Which it did, just ask any Trenchfoot from WWI.

This is why, to me anyway, the idea that fencing off the border between America and Mexico being cast as too expensive or impractical is just dumb. It's cheap and fences work really, really good. Even big long ones. We can build that fence easy.

It's not the fence that is expensive, its the land. Much of the border is either privately owned or in Tribal lands. Even with Eminent Domain, buying up land along thousands of miles will cost quite a packet.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Fences work when combined with lots of expensive humans on duty 24x7.

And even then

If american companies would stop hiring them, it would go a long way.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/republican-debate-fact-checking-...
Quote:
Trump made the same argument in the Times article, but the story includes quotes and stories from American workers who applied for the jobs and would have been happy to take part-time work.

Rubio also made reference to illegal immigrant labor in the construction of Trump Tower: "If he built the wall [between US and Mexico] like he built Trump Tower, he'll be using illegal immigrant labor to do it," Rubio said.

"Look it up: 'Trump Polish workers,'" Rubio instructed debate watchers. "You'll see a million dollars for hiring illegal workers on one of his projects. He did it."

That accusation is true: Trump was even sued for using 200 illegal workers from Poland to build Trump Tower in 1980. The New York Times described an update to the suit -- including Trump's testimony -- in 1998, and The Daily Beast wrote about the situation last summer. The case was settled in 1999.

---
Anyway... there is no point in building a fence which is ever unguarded.
And there is absolutely no point in building a chain link fence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

Not a real worry.

Clue: Cattle don't have spades to dig under fences. Or wirecutters. Or ladders. Or explosives.

Seen the Penn and Teller Bullshit where they employ some Mexicans to build a piece of fence to approved standards, then to go under, over and through it? OK, it's TV, it's exaggerated for effect. The point remains though, a fence only has any significant effect if patrolled.

WWI defences make a simple fence look trivial. And what really made them work was the machine guns backing them up.

Edit: Missed the followup that said it with photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is hilarious. Especially the bit where drug smugglers are driving full size trucks thru a tunnel under the fence.

National job database with biometric id. Huge fines and prison time for hiring illegals with well funded department of people posing as illegals seeking work. That will stop illegal immigration faster than any way.

But are americans willing to set up a national id card with biometric data? No.

Also, unless you legalize pot, the amount of money to justify border crossing is just too huge.

And probably cocaine too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
It's always funny when countries that are accused of exporting people get pissy over immigration.

Until the recent MUSLIMS!!!! crisis the big immigration bugbear in the UK was EASTERN EUROPEANS!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Huge fines and prison time for hiring illegals with well funded department of people posing as illegals seeking work. That will stop illegal immigration faster than any way.

But where will Chelsea get her nanny?

That won't be a problem as Trump will let her stay in the country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hyperbolus wrote:
Mexican Six Pack

Another way to get six pack abs.

Nice to see they are trying to fit in as Americans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndrewRogue wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

Not a real worry.

Could do it for way less if you just hired some dudes from out in front of Home Depot.

Yeah but for some reason when You hire them they keep building revolving doors into the fence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walls and the National Guard on the Mexican border. All problems solved with sneaking across the Rio Grande.

I like Hungary's stand for sovereignty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is one fence slightly higher than the other with a path running down the middle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:

It is probably pretty pricey.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.