Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Lovecraft [+] [View All]
Don
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am all in on this game but have only read a little bit of Lovecraft's works - what should I read to prepare for the theme? As I understand it all of his stuff is in the public domain so should be free correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akaan Qualrus
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is a handy post here : https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/147987/getting-started-cthu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get them here:

http://hplovecraft.com/writings/fiction/

After HPL's death, a lot of half finished stuff was dragged up and published... so don't feel that you need to read everything, unless you really want to be a completest about it. Much of it isn't very good.

For a basic foundation, I'd go with:

The Shadow over Innsmouth
The Call of Cthulhu
At the Mountains of Madness

Personally, I also like:

The Terrible Old Man
The Cats of Ulthar
The Doom That Came to Sarnath

EDIT:
Oh! And if you'd like a HPL podcast, this is a good one. It goes through his fiction in chronological order.

http://hppodcraft.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Morris
Canada
Creston
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Colour out of Space and the Dunwich Horror were always my faves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like The Lurking Fear and The Statement of Randolph Carter myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akaan Qualrus
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm in the process of reading all Lovecraft's fiction. I also liked The statement of Randolph Carter. The Dunwich Horror is also a good read.

I've just finished The Dreams in the Witch House but didn't like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
I like The Lurking Fear and The Statement of Randolph Carter myself.

Oh The Lurking Fear... I read kind of young, and it gave me nightmares for weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not HP himself, but a really, really awesome tribute/based off of/whatever in comic form is Providence by Alan Moore.

It's quick, covers a lot of ground, and if you're interested in any one part you can pursue the basis for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Edwards
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dunwich Horror is probably the nearest to an investigation as we are used to gaming them. Not only that, it's not too long, gives a great feel of the mythos and is actually very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aron craig
United States
Cumming
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good recommendations so far, but I have to add - do not skip The Music of Erich Zann.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I picked up this title a few years ago in Hardcover. You can find it used for less than a Vente Starbucks if you want to go the more "traditional" (non-digital) route.

This collection of eight classic tales of horror all feature the Lovecraft Country locale, including “Herbert West—Reanimator,” “The Unnamable,” “The Colour Out of Space,” “The Dunwich Horror,” “The Shadow Over Innsmouth,” “The Dreams of the Witch House,” The Thing on the Doorstep,” and “The Shadow Out of Time.”

Of course, you can find many other HPL works digitally as well. Enjoy the journey!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not read at the mountains of madness till you've read most of his other works
It explains took much of the lore so everything is left less mysterious

Among the recommendations, music of zshn, dunwitch horror, call of cthulhu,dagon, color or of space should be read first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Dunwich Horror," much mentioned here, is actually something of an outlier relative to Lovecraft's stories, for its more "good-vs-evil" approach. BUT it is perfectly paradigmatic for the Arkham Horror gaming universe. I'd say read this one first! Other good, central stories in the larger "Arkham Mythos" include:

"The Whisperer in Darkness,"
"The Shadow over Innsmouth,"
"The Thing on the Doorstep,"
"Dreams in the Witch-House,"
and of course, "The Call of Cthulhu."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Morris
Canada
Creston
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cloud64 wrote:
The Dunwich Horror is probably the nearest to an investigation as we are used to gaming them. Not only that, it's not too long, gives a great feel of the mythos and is actually very good.

I agree, for me reading Dunwich was the closest to the feeling of playing the Call of Cthulhu rpg of all Lovecraft's work. I'm planning on rereading a bunch before I play AHtCG and Dunwich is at the top of the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
flag msg tools
"Thick as a Snicker"
mbmbmbmbmb
Gutrix wrote:
Not HP himself, but a really, really awesome tribute/based off of/whatever in comic form is Providence by Alan Moore.

It's quick, covers a lot of ground, and if you're interested in any one part you can pursue the basis for it.

I was unaware of Providence. Definitely looking into reading this when it's complete. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tattersall
msg tools
Providence is amazing in its scope and even someone with a reasonable knowledge of the HPL body of work may miss many of the references, as becomes clear from the wonderful online annotations. Art peerless as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Weaver
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally highly recommend you check out this playlist of Lovecraft audio books on Spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/3uoRM3wbD1D0L...

Yes spotify has audio books on it and if you have a membership you can listen on without any commercials interrupting you and spoiling the mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.