$5.00
$20.00
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2-Player Scenario at Hotel Atlantico:

YELLOW: Has agent with (1) power occupying space #1 on Location.
RED: Has agent with (1) power occupying space #2.
RED: Has agent with (0) power occupying space #3.

Each side has one power total, but Red has a 2:1 advantage in actual agents. All else being equal, I presume that Yellow still wins?

The question arose that, because a zero value agent can still win the Character reward if they are the only agent influencing a location (or if they are competing only with other zero-power agents), then surely their presence counts as something for breaking ties if they are teaming up with another one of their own agents.

There is some logic to this reasoning. Afterall, page 8 in the rule book does say that "The zero strength also counts." And if it counts at 1:0 ratio then why shouldn't it count in a 2:1 ratio?

I argued that the diagram on page eight showing Green winning the reward over Red in similar circumstances resolved this, but in fact it doesn't quite since the crux of the issue is whether "zero" means absolute ZERO or ZEROISH! whistle

I suspect this must have come up during playtesting and was finally pared down for the sake of simplicity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yellow still wins.

Zero means zero. Zero only matters when they are alone or when all agents in a location have no influence.

A character having 0 influence would win if (A): they are alone in a location, or (B): there are multiple agents with 0 influence in a location then the tiebreaker goes to the agent in the lowest numbered slot (spot I usually).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Orey
Portugal
Cascais
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yellow still wins.

Zero means zero. Zero only matters when they are alone or when all agents in a location have no influence.

A character having 0 influence would win if (A): they are alone in a location, or (B): there are multiple agents with 0 influence in a location then the tiebreaker goes to the agent in the lowest numbered slot (spot I usually).

Correct meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gil orey wrote:
Quote:
Yellow still wins.

Correct meeple

Thanks. But was the other part of my question discussed during play-testing? e.g., having more agents in a location than your opponents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bamonson wrote:
gil orey wrote:
Quote:
Yellow still wins.

Correct meeple

Thanks. But was the other part of my question discussed during play-testing? e.g., having more agents in a location than your opponents?

Having more agents does not matter if one of the agents has 0 influence. You sum the total of influence for agents of each player.

1+0=1 not 1+0=1.1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Orey
Portugal
Cascais
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

It doesn't matter the number of agents, but the total force of a player in a location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
katanan wrote:
bamonson wrote:
gil orey wrote:
Quote:
Yellow still wins.

Correct meeple

Having more agents does not matter if one of the agents has 0 influence. You sum the total of influence for agents of each player.

1+0=1 not 1+0=1.1

Evidently I didn't explain my question well enough. Sorry. It was a query about when the game was still in beta play-testing. Please disregard, it's not important. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Sousa Lara
Portugal
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bamonson wrote:
katanan wrote:
bamonson wrote:
gil orey wrote:
Quote:
Yellow still wins.

Correct meeple

1+0=1 not 1+0=1.1

Evidently I didn't explain my question well enough. Sorry. It was a query about when the game was still in beta play-testing. Please disregard, it's not important. Thanks

I think i understood your question, and yes we did consider multiple agents vs one agent during beta.
After much testing we came to the conclusion that the priority is for the #1 slot over all else when in case of a tie in influence.
Also the "zero" characters represent a character that has a very powerfull effect but will require help from a teammate if there is strong opposition. While at the same time it does not add any strength to the teammate's influence.
So in a thematic sense the "zero" character is like a "femme fatal". Fragile and lethal at the same time.

hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.