Old School Tactical» Forums » Rules

Subject: Strategy Guide with illustrated examples of play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jwel
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
I repost here a concern lost in a specific rule question because it seems my request has been heard in OST vol 2 kickstarter

Jwel wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation Shayne.

Being Belgian, English is not my mother tongue so even if I practice wargames since the 80' with good old titles from AH and VG I still may hesitate in correctly interpret a sentence, generally illustrated example of plays allows me to remove the doubts.

By the way I really find "weird" that a lot of illustrated examples of play which should have been present in the rulebook have been placed in a very exclusive "strategy guide" only available to "Deluxe" version pledger (even classic pledgers could not have it). I fully agree the KS backers must get exclusive items (campaigns, luck cards, dices,...) but here we are talking about a core item, the rules set. IMHO, not the best choice when presenting a new tactical system. I know you are doing videos but being of the "old school" I find it more efficient to a have an explained picture instead of 40' video where half of the time is spent in manipulating items.

I succeeded in getting OST and Stalingrad here in Belgium from a Belgian gamestore, proof that I was really motivated to get this new game and I must say I am very satisfied, game is gorgeous, just wanted to mention this annoying lack of illustrated examples.

Joel a Belgian OST fan cool

Extract from campaign communications :

Mark on 25/8 wrote:
You did it again! The 2nd pocket battle is unlocked. Now we only need a few dozen orders to unlock the strategy guide, and judging by the way the pledges are flying in, I think we can do it.

Mark at KS end wrote:

Eighth Stretch Goal. The Strategy Guide! Just 61K UNLOCKED!
(just in the nick of time)
An updated version of the ever-popular OST Volume I strategy guide.

Great cool

2 questions,

- hope it won't be a KS exclusive stretch goal

- what about the volume I, any possibility to get a pdf version of it ?

And once again, great game and system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gerardy
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://flyingpiggames.com/products/old-school-tactical-vol-i...

Looks like it will be available for purchase. As for pdf I don't know.

I backed Vol 2, so the strategy guide will eventually come. That said, I would pay for a PDF version of the Stategy guide released with Vol 1 Kickstarer. I regret not seeing the first KS when it happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Pacitto
United States
North Attleboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have the strategy guide from my OST I KS deal and I would think that
OST II guide will expand on the first edition with additional content.

I also think the OST II's rule book will supersede the first version.
The way I see it, the rules will apply to both games as a complete set.
Now I have no idea how new rules like airborne and armor leaders will
be incorporated into OST I per new counters for Soviet forces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Dette
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I really appreciate that they make their product available eventually as a general purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jwel
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the informations.

What would be great for this new evolving system is to have a living rules availability which encompass the last known rules with example of plays, clarifications and FAQ.

As an exemple LnL is doing this :

http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/lnlt-world-war-ii-...

and it is full of perfectly detailed example of plays

It could be available as free PDF (logically for a company wanting to promote a new system) or paying via Wargame Vault (like PnP version of OST).

My 2 cents cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Dette
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I agree, that is needed but since it's a 1 man shop, not sure how possible this really is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.